Recap Thread - 2014 Morgan Cup

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What can I say, it is the end of an era. What started as an idea scribbled on the back of an envelope, turned into an outline, that turned into an event that needed to evolve, that turned into this past weekend. The first two had some issues, the third was close and then this past weekend showed me what the vision truly was and when done right, should be. To start with, I will warn everybody that this is going to be rather long winded, so stay with me here as I head off into some strange abyss known as my weird mind.

First off I want to thank my wife, the namesake of this event, for agreeing that we needed to do it one more time, the right way no matter the costs, side effects or anything else. She was with me the entire step of the way and did so much work planning and executing this thing to perfection. She is the voice of reason when chaos comes, the person that keeps me grounded when I want to walk away and the perfect fit for the perfect event. Without her none of this happens and everybody that is there, or has been there knows exactly what I am speaking of. It was a rough week for us being away from those that needed us, and at one point she was headed back Sunday morning to take care of issues at home, but we made it through this thing together and that is because of her incredible desire and will.

Next I want to thank the volunteers. While we covered their expenses at the event, these people traveled from all over just to be a part of it, and bring it to life. They had early mornings, long days and for what? Capturing an event on video for people to watch again. It shows me how much this event and this place means to some and for that we are forever grateful. There is no way to ever repay them for their hard work, but I can still say thank you a million more times. No matter what team was crowned the winners this past weekend (DotCom), the champions were you six (plus O'Carroll and Trisha).

I get asked why a Team THP all the time and frankly I think I should explain it. The only way I was going to bring this event back is if I could have certain people in it. We dont fix contests despite what so many seem to believe, and if they were chosen in the contests, it would give off that impression (which is crazy in my opinion), so I did the next best thing. I added a team and did it with 5 knowing that I could give this event a proper send off with the only people that can say they deserve it.

People fear the unknown and each time we have changed this event, we were criticized and each time it was better than the last. What I realized this time is while the changes were great, the people were the reason it got better and better. If you told me before starting THP that I could get 50 THPers together from all over the world and it would be a good time with good people, I would have laughed a bit. However for the 1st time I can remember, it happened. What an amazing feeling being surrounded by absolute family and knowing that each one was so excited to be there. We know that people do not like change, or a better word might be don't embrace change. We saw that with each chnage in this event, when we add new events like the King, Grandaddy, Gauntlet, etc. Then the event happens, it kills and people realize that they might have missed out. Each change to the Morgan Cup was done for a very good reason because from the outside looking in, it needed them and this one was a culmination in those changes and it was very special to witness.

One more change that had to happen. Once we had our captains in place, we knew that quite a few things needed to be altered because we had 40 golfers in this event and needed to support 75 people in terms of food, etc. Costs never came into the equation, becuase like I said previously, being the last one, it needed to be done right, regardless of that. It was more about the little things, such as split tees, guys finishing 2 full hours after the 1st group, food planning, etc. The first decision I had to make was who would be announcing the 10th tee box and I turned to Morgan and said there is only one guy for the job...JAKE! She laughed and we talked about it some more and how it would work. So I placed a phone call that went like this "Jake, if I bring you to to Myrtle Beach for this, will you be able to"? The answer was yes. Then I told him one critical part. For 2 months he had to keep it a secret and not tell a soul. I told him if word got out, we wouldn't do it. Thursday he calls me and asks if he should bring his clubs and I tell him "no, there wont be time for golf". Fast forward a couple of days and trajedy struck. I get a call about a participant's family member and they had passed away. My heart is racing and I feel absolutely awful for this individual. The time he put in, what this journey has meant to him and how it came crashing down. Nothing we could ever do or say will make that part better, but knowing Flog, he would want the show to go on in grand style. I knew only one person that would be able to fill the massive shoes that Flog brings to the table in both golfing ability and "getting it" as it pertains to the event. So Jake walks into my villa and I say, "Something terrible has happened, but I need you to play in the Morgan Cup". We sit down and as he tells me about the chills he has, we focus on hoping to make sure that Jake walking into a room does not take away from the fact that one member had to leave this event due to tragedy. He then says "But I did bring my clubs just in case". Flog, you are a true champion and Jake tried his heart out to be you for the entire weekend.

We had the whole thing planned out with me announcing the Champion has returned and he would be announcing the golfers tomorrow morning...Instead we announced, the Champion has returned because of a sad moment. It did not take away from his arrival and he shocked the room as he entered in. In the end, we were thinking about Flog and hopefully this setback does not change his outlook on his own personal journey, that has been well documented and fun to follow.

I have to back track to earlier in the day however, to Staff Sponsor Day. As soon as staff sponsor day ended, I had to take off like a rocket to make it back to the villa to meet our surprise guest, but before that happened, man that was a treat. Nobody knew what to expect, but we had a great plan in place, and met with each company over the past few months making sure it was perfect and then again the previous evening at dinner. They were as excited as the golfers and took so many steps to make sure it was perfect. Each company was unique and each one was incredibly gracious. Watching Keith from Cleveland/Srixon say "Well there is not a lot we can do since you cant talk about your gear, so here are some beers" was awesome. He wanted the guys to enjoy their new gear, but even more so enjoy the company and have some fun. Cobra mic'ing up their players for their national presentation. Bridgestone having a robot rolling around the range with the staff from the home office was epic. Hashtag working with his guys and having goodies for everybody was awesome. TaylorMade Ken tweaked, bent, heated, bent some more and gave these guys the true tour treatment and then said afterwards "Man, this thing is fantastic" talking about the Morgan Cup. Staff Sponsor Day was perfect in every way and made closing the chapter that much better ending on such a high note.

Saturday had golf and as predicted it ran a bit long. We hate having to tell people to pick up the pace, get mad at them for slowing down, but frankly that was a long day out there and the course was on us from the start. 5 hour rounds should not really happen in these formats, but at the end of the day, everybody banded together and got to the next course on time ready to roll. A true testament to the guys here that made it happen. There were some incredible golf shots on the 1st tee. Nerves were there and you could see it. Glad people fell into place and into fun rather quickly. Switching to 2 nine hole rounds was something I really enjoyed watching unfold. Because it was alternate shot, the swings were dramatic and it was crazy getting the updates. Alternate shot is my favorite round in this event and if we ever do anything like this again, it will be there. You could see in the action how much prep these guys put in. I still say the drive I saw on #4 by Jeff Spicoli is the longest I have ever witnessed on that hole by anybody including some tour players. Putts were being rolled in, but the thing that stood out to me the most was the scrambling abilities of everybody. You could see the work put in and what it meant to these guys. Points were crucial and it was an absolute blast to watch.

Saturday night was another dinner and people wound down from an amazing day. The smiles went on for hours and it makes us so happy to see everybody else enjoying themselves. Sunday was an early start and with 40 golfers on the 1st tee, we knew it was going to be long. Guys were amped up and the energy in the air was so thick you could cut it (although that might have been the humidity). Absolutely great tee shots on Sunday and that was unexpected and awesome. Due to running a bit long, GG and I had to skip the celebration party we organized, but that was for the guys anyway. We did get to do the celebration speeches and hand out some trophies to the champions (Team DotCom) which was awesome.

Some fun one liners from this event that will never go away.

"MWard is like Lil Hitler" and the response was "Quit being so mean to Hitler".
Jersey Nate and Smithfaced..."He is too young for you by about 50 years".
"I ran into a buzz saw" - Pete and I heard that one a lot.
"Do you need help with the standings, because I will be off the course after the 9th"...Mike Dean after Amart was on fire.
"How ya feeling Donne" to adwillinghim..."Emotional".
Anything that came out of WCBM was spot on.

Heck I could be here all day with the lines from this event, but will save it for the rest of the thread. Sadly I am going to continue to bore you with more details about this one. Heading in I knew what to expect out of the planning, but not how it will turn out for obvious reasons. No event can be great without the participants being great. That is a testament to the guys involved, the ladies involved and the volunteers and guests. This was the fitting end because of these people and no matter the distraction, these people make it their job to make this thing perfect. As hosts, we planned, as volunteers, they covered, as guests, they viewed, but as participants, you tied it all together. It was that perfect of a weekend and showed off the type of people that are part of this community.

They always say to end it on a high note and this is the final chapter in what we call The Ultimate Golf Event Period...The Morgan Cup. Thank you all for the wonderful memories that will fill my head and make me smile forever. Thank you for taking the time to do this the right way, your way and make the final curtain call so meaningfull. And if you know me by now, you will know that I could never leave all of the above without something fun...So here goes.

Did the Morgan Cup create your legacy...Or has that yet to happen?
Legacy Is Coming...Get Ready For The Ride!

So much awesome right there in that post. And glad to see I made the list of top 1 liners....even though it hurts.

Awesome, JB! Great read! I'm glad the last MC was what you ways dreamed it would be. Great job to you and GG!!!

So awesome, Josh.

Can't wait to start reading the recaps.

Well said. Sitting here on Saturday was awesome. From a spectator, I thank you all including the players for their very best.

Wow Wow WOW! Grandslam, Josh. What a pleasure it was to see all the hard work from everyone come together like it did. No doubt THP will grow stonger every day. You've already created quite a LEGACY. Looking forward to meeting you in HHI.

Well said JB, Solid read, heartfelt, and a big reason why THP is what it is. An actual community, not just a website. You've already forged a Legacy here, the story is just long from being over!

Sounds like you guys had yet another successful event Josh. Great payoff for all the hard work you put into it.

What a read. Chills, tears, and smiles ensued while reading this. I can't wait to read the recaps as they come rolling in. I can say mine has been a pleasure writing and will be posted when the time is right. Thank you for the ride!!!

:clapp::clapp::clapp::clapp:

Standing ovation. JB, you've written some very eloquent things here on the forums in my short time here, but I think this is the best and my favorite. I can feel the emotion from your words. I'm so happy this great event ended in such a fabulous way for you and Morgan. Take care of those pups, I know they were heavy on your guys minds this weekend. Hats off to the venues, volunteers, MC captains and players for making the last, the best!

Bravo JB, I cant believe you can fit so many thoughts into a post that short. Its clear how much this event has meant to you and Morgan to bring it to THP members and give us this experience. I'm sure even though you knew coming in that this would be the MC finale it still has to be a little bummer letting it go. I'm honored that I got to be a part of two of them and if I had not been there I would not have seen how much heart and soul you and Morgan put in to this. A big THANK YOU for bringing the event back one final year for us all to be a part of and witness. To make this bigger every year and pull it off like you have is an amazing feat. Congrats bro

How does one out do the impossible?! The MC brought joy to so many and will never be touched as far as I am concerned. Great events will happen, I am 100% sure of that. But the MC is in a class all its own.

How does one out do the impossible?! The MC brought joy to so many and will never be touched as far as I am concerned. Great events will happen, I am 100% sure of that. But the MC is in a class all its own.

Thats what they have told us each year...And each year we have proven them wrong...

Just an awesome post JB. I have my recap that I typed up last night when I got home in word. I'll post it the first chance I can get. It's very long winded, but your post right there just gave me the chills.

I have no doubt I'll be picking my jaw up off the ground some day soon. You have yet to let me down and even surprised the hell out of me earlier with The King. So if anyone can make it happen it will be you, my friend.
Thats what they have told us each year...And each year we have proven them wrong...

Great recap sounds like every one had a good time

JB: you and Morgan achieved the goals initially sought out 4 years ago this past weekend. I hate that it took this long to get it "right" but that's part of the growing pains and dealing with humans of all types.

This past weekend was perfect from the words "Are you boys ready" as MikeG yelled at us standing in the True Blue clubhouse.

I can't thank you enough for making something like this possible for an amateur hack like myself.

You guys have legitimately turned "average golfers" into "effin rock stars" and simply stated NONE of this possible with you and Morgan. And I love you both like family, because you are family to me.

Lastly to answer your question: the Morgan Cup created my legacy (although it feels funny to say that I actually have a legacy, don't want to make it seem like I'm full of myself).

If given the opportunity to be on the ride known as the Legacy (whatever it is), count me in - wouldn't miss it!

Well put JB, this event has been the Ultimate Golf Event for some time, but in reality it is a sum of its parts. These events (MC, King, Grandaddy) have so much more to them than what is seen/heard on the forum, they inspire average golfers to strive and work to be a little more than average even for just a short period of time. The things you, Morgan, and the THP team create allow us hackers to live the dream, and for that I thank you.

I always love long JB posts because they are so full of awesome. This event was something special, and one of my favorite things about the recaps last year was the video recaps, so I'm going to do my best to get in front of my camera and avoid rambling too much. 7 months of work leading up to a whirlwind of a weekend, and coming away with so many memories and friends to last a lifetime. Only at THP...

That was a fantastic post JB. You could have kept going and I would have been quite alright with that.

That was a good read my friend. I'm glad we nailed it for the grand finale. It was worth every bit of effort.

i really enjoy videos but that was a awesome read, just a great job by everybody to make such great memories

my hats off to each and everyone of you, i sure enjoyed following the action

What a great recap. The Morgan Cup will always be special, and treasured. Not having been in one, I almost feel silly saying it, but I have done nothing but imagining myself in the event. With the amount of coverage it really brings the event to the readership here.
The Legacy being born from lessons learned from the Morgan Cup is an exiting proposition to say the least.

I always love long JB posts because they are so full of awesome. This event was something special, and one of my favorite things about the recaps last year was the video recaps, so I'm going to do my best to get in front of my camera and avoid rambling too much. 7 months of work leading up to a whirlwind of a weekend, and coming away with so many memories and friends to last a lifetime. Only at THP...

Agreed buddy. I typed one up last night, but it's so long winded I'm not sure anyone will read it lol. I plan on doing a video recap as well when I get some time to do so.

Back