The Official Tiger Woods Thread

So is the rumor correct that Tiger stated he is done for the year? Would this also include if he was picked as a long shot for the Ryder Cup?

I heard the same thing I hope so. More because this thread will go away

I agree.

I know Tiger's infidelity is a big hang up for many. Here are a few infidelity statistics. 50% of married women have an affair, 60% of married men have an affair. In 80% of today's marriages at least 1 partner has cheated. Sounds like there is a whole lot of "karma" due. (statistics from The Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy).
How many go through countless slots and try to pay for silence?

The walking F bomb is a great role model!

How many go through countless slots and try to pay for silence?

The walking F bomb is a great role model!

I didn't call him a role model.

Butch said he was disappointed Tiger played and said he needs to get healthy so he can be the Tiger we all want him to be. Doubtful, but I'd like to see them work together again.

You guys honestly think he won't be everywhere even when not playing? Lol not gonna happen. He's the spotlight which is apparent by the little special they did on him just now during the PGA coverage. Its unfortunate for guys playing well no doubt

You guys honestly think he won't be everywhere even when not playing? Lol not gonna happen. He's the spotlight which is apparent by the little special they did on him just now during the PGA coverage. Its unfortunate for guys playing well no doubt
Just tuned in and that is all I have seen. You called it.

I'm not a tiger homer but definitely a fan and I'll be the first to admit this is too much. There's guys out there lighting it up and we're talking about Tiger not playing. Let's watch golf already!!

And people wonder why the above casual fan has tuned out. They cant create any other stars, because all they talk about is a guy that wont be teeing it up for 6 months most likely. So if that is the case, you are telling your viewers to not bother watching.

Tiger is a story no matter how well he plays. If the other players want more coverage, they need to surpass tiger.

Tiger is a story no matter how well he plays. If the other players want more coverage, they need to surpass tiger.
Like making the cut? Cheating on their spouse? Cursing like a sailor on the course?

But they did surpass him...They are playing. My point is that you have every traditional media outlet focusing so much on someone that is not going to be around for what? Like six months? You are telling the casual fan there is no need to tune in.

You have the opportunity to create story lines with players that are playing, that will be in the Ryder Cup, that will be in the FedEx Cup. Nobody is saying not to cover him, but spending all pre-game and all post game and 12 minute segments (multiple times) during coverage is overboard. No casual viewer (which they covet) is flicking through the channels and staying put when they hear that stuff. Instead they tune out completely.

But they did surpass him...They are playing. My point is that you have every traditional media outlet focusing so much on someone that is not going to be around for what? Like six months? You are telling the casual fan there is no need to tune in.

You have the opportunity to create story lines with players that are playing, that will be in the Ryder Cup, that will be in the FedEx Cup. Nobody is saying not to cover him, but spending all pre-game and all post game and 12 minute segments (multiple times) during coverage is overboard. No casual viewer (which they covet) is flicking through the channels and staying put when they hear that stuff. Instead they tune out completely.

I'm completely with you, but no casual viewer is tuning in for anyone else. If my mom is flipping through channels and hears something about Fowler, Rory, Adam Scott, etc. she keeps flipping to HGTV. If she hears something about Tiger, the only golfer she knows exists, she might stop and listen for 5 minutes. Is what it is

Like making the cut? Cheating on their spouse? Cursing like a sailor on the course?

No. Like winning a career grand slam. 14 majors an 25% of very tournament they enter.

I'm not sure If his off the course life was ever mentioned in today's coverage.

I curse like a sailor. I don't mind that.

I'm not sure how much Golf Channel coverage at 9 am CST is worried about a casual viewer. I would suspect that the afternoon network coverage spends much less time on Tig

No. Like winning a career grand slam. 14 majors an 25% of very tournament they enter.

I'm not sure how much Golf Channel coverage at 9 am CST is worried about a casual viewer. I would suspect that the afternoon network coverage spends much less time on Tig

That would be a first.

So where are the stories on Jack? He is playing as many tournaments as Tiger is coming up right?
Its bullsh!t because they have no idea how to grab a viewer, because they have always had the best ever to do their work for them.

I'm completely with you, but no casual viewer is tuning in for anyone else. If my mom is flipping through channels and hears something about Fowler, Rory, Adam Scott, etc. she keeps flipping to HGTV. If she hears something about Tiger, the only golfer she knows exists, she might stop and listen for 5 minutes. Is what it is
That's kinda how it is for my friends that are casual viewers. They don't give a damn about some guy named Jimmy Walker who they've never heard of and his chance to make the Ryder Cup team. They care about what Tiger is doing. I don't agree with the coverage at all just saying that's what I see.

We saw Tiger at his incredible best for many years. No golfer ever dominated the sport so completely so long. That is why his fall from grace and his current weakness of body is such a story - it is such a contrast to what we witnessed for so long. The Tiger era is clearly over - not to say he won't win more or even surpass Jack in major wins (though that seems pretty doubtful). For the two year old that burst into our consciousness on Merv Griffin's show, who won 3 US Ams, all before "Hello, world!" and the dominant career that ensued, it's hard for the media and for fandom to let the phenom fade from the spotlight. Any thing Tiger does will always be a story, because of what he accomplished in his prime. But remember, we've known about him for 36 years or so .....

So where are the stories on Jack? He is playing as many tournaments as Tiger is coming up right?
Its bullsh!t because they have no idea how to grab a viewer, because they have always had the best ever to do their work for them.

It's true about getting viewers. A lack of Tiger does create a vacuum.

It's true about getting viewers. A lack of Tiger does create a vacuum.

Casual viewers, perhaps. But Rory playing dominant golf, with Rickie on his coattails and Jason and Phil in the mix - I don't see any vacuum that will keep me tuned out.

That's kinda how it is for my friends that are casual viewers. They don't give a damn about some guy named Jimmy Walker who they've never heard of and his chance to make the Ryder Cup team. They care about what Tiger is doing. I don't agree with the coverage at all just saying that's what I see.

Couldn't agree with these 2 guys more. Just look at the ratings of tournaments from year-to-year where Tiger is contending vs when he's not in the field. The core golf fans will always watch no matter who is in contention, but the "casual" fan needs someone that can transcend the game, and for the past 15 years, that guy has been Tiger. There's no one right now, even Rory, that can come close to the appeal that Tiger has for the "casual" fan. The "casual" fan isn't tuning out because the networks are covering Tiger too much, they are tuning out because he's not in contention and they don't care all that much about any other player.

The media also hasn't tried to tell the stories of the others and make them more appealing to the casual viewers, and that is a fact.

No one is denying Tiger brings ratings, at all.

Back