Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
How many if you take or use the internet for your lessons and golf tips? Do you subscribe to one instructor or multiple theories?

If you do use the internet, why? Is it because of cost? Do you just enjoy one teachers style?

Do also take lessons with certified instructor?

I'm really curious as to where people get there swing help and knowledge.

I have taken lessons via the internet with a certified instructor. I do not like trying to teach myself with youtube videos.

Never taken an online lesson. I have watched youtube videos for advice on how to hit certain shots but that's about it.

When I got back into the game last year I started with YouTube, mainly Mark Crossfield. Did that for a little bit. Then started lessons with a local pro earlier this year until I couldn't do it anymore. Now I rely on Freddie Kong's tips.

My in person instructor is a friend of Shawn Clement so he will often have me watch some of his videos to drive home things that we worked on in lesson. I have not however taken an online lesson. I gravitated to my instructors style (happens to also to somewhat line up with Shawn Clement's style) because he is not position driven like Golftec was and more visualization based as well as swinging my swing in order to deliver a square clubface to the ball without a whole lot else to confuse myself.

Never taken an online lesson. I have watched youtube videos for advice on how to hit certain shots but that's about it.

same here

Never taken a lesson, online or otherwise. I did get a swing tip from you though once.

I have taken most of my lessons in person with a certified instructor. Getting ready for the MC and going through SPI my instructor was full time certified teacher until he made the change to putting only so I would send him vids on my swing and we worked on a few things online. I like both approaches but I think in person works better for me.

If there is something specific I'm working on with my instructor I'll regularly search videos of certain instructors for different feels and drills. That has helped me out a number of times. Sometimes it's just a matter of somebody saying something that clicks.

Take lessons in person with an instructor. I have taken 2 internet lessons only because they were free (golftec and swingfix). They had tents setup at AT&T National last year. I do watch videos on youtube when trying to figure out how to better hit a certain type of shot or to identify what might be causing an issue I am having. I like to get a few lessons over the course of the year to help tighten up my swing.

i've never done it, but i would consider it as a supplement to in-person. for instance, pay for x number of in-person lessons, and x number of on-line "check-ins." there are many times i feel like my swing is getting a little wonky, and wish i could just have my instructor put eyes on it and give me a tip to work on, rather than paying for a full hour of one-on-one time. but i would never solely do on-line lessons.

so the short answer is i've never done it, but i would be open to it for cost savings.

As I've said before, I'm a huge fan of Shawn Clement. So much so, I finagled a 13-hour detour during our trip to Maine a few years ago under the guise of seeing Niagara Falls, but with the real reason of getting close enough to Toronto to go see Shawn for an in-person lesson.

Watching Shawn's videos is the first time the golf-swing ever "clicked" for me. I discovered that my whole life I'd been trying to swing the club and manipulate it myself. When Shawn started talking about letting the club swing itself with momentum and gravity, it was like the heavens parted and the angels sung. I firmly believe these are the concepts that people who are natural athletes integrate automatically into their swing, but I was too stupid to realize it and no pro ever picked up on the fact that I was not letting those things happen. Incidentally Freddie, the other place where I've really seen these concepts embodied is in your swing. Your timing is so impeccable and I can just see you letting the weight of the club fall through the ball to the target.

I certainly realize that Shawn is not the first person to ever discuss these concepts, but his focus on this concept of the golf swing, his clear metaphors and wonderful teaching style keep me going back for more. I still take lessons from a traditional pro from time to time, because they're excellent at spotting what's wrong when something is wrong. However, I've yet to find a local pro who is as adept at translating what needs to happen and how to make it happen without getting wrapped up in positions, so once I know the problem, I often turn back to Shawn's videos to put the fix back into his terms.

I would LOVE it if I could find a local pro who taught using Shawn's concepts. I've mentioned to Shawn that he should create a "Wisdom In Golf Certified Instructor" program, but so far, he has not done so.

While I've not done one of his video lessons, I've certainly heard great feedback from those who have. I can tell you that Shawn always answers my emails personally and typically quickly, unless he's traveling.

I will note that I've watched a few of Monte Scheinblum's videos, and while he presents the material differently, I've not seen one thing he's said that's in conflict with what Shawn teaches, so I enjoy his stuff as well.

As a side note, lest you have memories of a horrible golf swing, I've made a lot of progress in my swing since you last saw me Freddie. I'm finally getting rid of the huge OTT move and hold off I had before and during the MC. Doesn't mean I'm an elite golfer yet, but the swing is getting more and more solid every year.

Last edited:
I'm not much of an Internet learner honestly Freddie, I think that many can and do learn from today's technological era but I prefer to go see my guy if something pops up I want to change or tweak. I do however think there's a huge market for it.

Have never taken an online lesson, but I have a few instructors that I really like in terms of their content on Youtube: Monte Scheinblum, Martin Chuck, Andrew Rice.

I've never taken a formal online lesson, but have watched plenty of videos. Originally I would watch them to try and learn how to swing, but with little success. They typically provide sound theories or demonstrate proper positions for a textbook swing, but the problem I've had is that my body doesn't do what I think it's doing.

This is where lessons in person with an instructor come in. I also think a camera is necessary (even if it's not a high speed camera), because the instructor cannot say for sure that a miss was path or face just on ball flight. He will have an idea, but it's best to see how much one or the other (or both) need correction.

Now I use online videos to look for suggestions on "feeling" when I'm struggling on something from an in person lesson (or lessons). For example, I've struggle with my driving for some time now and could make adjustments during a lesson to greatly improve my drives, but would leave without a sense of the necessary "feelings" to recreate those drives on my own. I found three videos online from popular instructors who all suggested starting the down swing with a pull (like pulling a light chain downward), but to also sort of put the brakes on your swing before contact to feel as if the right/read forearm is going to turn over the left/lead too soon. One of the videos also talked about turning the left/lead hand down during the downswing to feel like the back of your left/lead hand would make contact or backhand the ball during the down swing. The combination of these feelings has really helped me hit some solid drives that are repeatable.

I've had some consults with Herman Williams in the past but nothing formal and just the swing tips with yourself a couple times early in the year. I think I'd sign up for one-on-one lessons before I'd pay for internet ones.

Al my lessons have come from Golftec but I do watch tips on YouTube and golf channel. It can be hit or miss, some explanations seen to click and others almost seen to contradict what others are saying so there's a bit of trial and error with online stuff for me

I tried the internet research bit exclusively in the beginning. Didn't work out so well. I was so wound up doing & thinking so much different stuff that I was all over the place. Went and found a local full-swing instructor that I like and he got me straightened out and on the right path. I will look up techniques for hitting certain kinds of chip shots or read books about putting/short game, as well of course the tips in this sub-forum, but I try not to over clutter my brain. It's in the way enough already as it is.

That said, I wouldn't be adverse to some sort of video analysis lessons online. I think it might be a good way for those in areas that can't find or afford a pro they like to get some help with their swing.

I did take an online lesson from an instructor who was based in CA, that I knew I wouldn't be able to see soon, so I did one video lesson with him. It was worth the cost $25, I sent him a video, he sent it back with the V1 lines...etc and a written out plan of what I should work on.

I think it was worth it and would do it again with the right instructor. I think one thing that is key to online lessons is the communication skills of the instructor. I know a lot of instructors like to put their hands on you and move you into certain positions where you should be. But obviously being able to demonstrate this via video or some other form online is key.

Internet Lessons

I've experienced it all so I will share my golf journey of the last 2.5 years.

I first tried to teach myself via DVDs. Leadbetter Interactive, Hank Haney, Tom Watson, Phil Mickelson and a couple others. I combined this with about 20 training aids including the swing fan and orange whip. No real success there but that gave me a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the game. Just couldn't execute them.

My first online lesson was through swing fix. Wasn't bad. It helped me to realize that I had an OTT move. Just did one lesson. Could never really get rid of that problem.

I went to a 3 day golf academy in Palm Springs with great hopes. Was very disappointed. The pro was a dud who never did anything to improve my swing. Major disappointment.

Frustrated, I found Shawn Clement and followed his teachings. I even went to see him on a Toronto layover. The lesson was good but honestly lacked fundamentals you require before you can truly go his route. IMHO. Still had an OTT move.

Trying new things I started to work with RST. Rotary Swing Tour. Got heavily into this. Got their manual. Did a half dozen online lessons. Thought this was going to be the one. Practiced my moves at home religiously. In the end, it didn't do much but really screwed up my backswing with a serious outside takeaway.

I enjoyed the look of the "Tour Academy Home Edition". I tried that program with some success. Especially the short game stuff. I still use the short game teachings today. Again, no real success with the full swing.

My accountant was also doing some RST stuff and he was a single digit handicapper. He also mentioned that he was working with a head pro in town here. That's when things started to change for me. I started to play way better when I started taking lessons in person with this pro. He had me breaking 90 in no time.

So for me it took someone in person over a period of time to truly help my game. I still need lots of work and continue my lessons. I love reading about golf stuff but now know the thing for me is one on one live. It's been a great journey and I'm glad I experienced the earlier failures. They gave me the knowledge that guides me today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've killed a lot of hours watching videos and self-diagnosing over the years.

I wasn't entirely wrong with my approach or diagnosis... HOWEVER...

10min into my first lesson with a live instructor, and he had my major issue diagnosed (head moving back a LOT and then forward on the downswing, poor spine angle/tilt).

Once we diagnosed that, the other things that I had been working on previously (swing plane, fanning the clubhead open, lag, "back to the target" etc.) all diminished or disappeared. I gained distance and consistency just working on 2 flaws he saw immediately (head&spine).

So, while I love to research stuff on the internet (internet junkie), I don't think there is a replacement for live instruction.

I still screw around on the internet watching videos and researching technique/theory (swing path vs face angle, etc)... but I have to admit that the majority of my improvement came from live instruction. For me, there is no substitute.

I follow online lessons with Professor Kong, but that's all I need!

yup same here. I have a buddy who is going to get golf lessons from a local instructor. Might be worth it in the long run for him. Just not sure I want to shell out the money for something I don't have plans on going pro. I've been able to learn how to play every sport I played growing up I can certainly learn golf that was as well without an instructor. I'm fortunate I can usually pick up something and do ok in. roller skating, snowboarding, tennis, skateboarding, baseball, football, basketball, swimming etc...

yup same here. I have a buddy who is going to get golf lessons from a local instructor. Might be worth it in the long run for him. Just not sure I want to shell out the money for something I don't have plans on going pro. I've been able to learn how to play every sport I played growing up I can certainly learn golf that was as well without an instructor. I'm fortunate I can usually pick up something and do ok in. roller skating, snowboarding, tennis, skateboarding, baseball, football, basketball, swimming etc...

I felt the same way, but I reached a plateau, and no matter what I did, I wasn't getting better.

Internet stuff is really valuable for educating me on the science and theory of golf, but having an instructor there really helped me.

I did couples lessons with my girlfriend, which made the rate really reasonable. 4 1 hour sessions spread out over 12 weeks. We paid $120 ea.

It worked wonders. I shaved 3 strokes so far this summer, which doesn't sound like much, but when you go from 13 handicap to 10, that's a noticeable jump. Would you pay $120 to get 25% better?

Prior to this summer, I was never a huge advocate for lessons, but I've changed my mind. It has still taken me a great deal of practice to get better, but at least I'm confident in the road I'm on, instead of guessing (like I was doing before).

I'll be starting Mobicoach lessons later this fall, maybe even sucking it up and going with Ritter. Moving on from my "guy" I think, schedule conflicts just suck for me when school is in session.

Back