Adrian Peterson Indicted For Child Abuse

A spanking is not the same as being whipped with a tree branch.

Again, have you seen the pictures? That's not one mistake. It's calculated administered pain to a child. That isn't even close to being ok.

Yes I have seen the pictures, referenced bellow, and they were likely a bit worse unfortunately given that the soonest they could have been taken was a day after it had occured, and from what I've read probably more like a week after.

Likewise I have experience with beating from tree branches, heck there's a reason every place I've ever lives as a kid had a willow tree.

I'm not saying what he did was right. No where do I think it's right, and no where do I say that I think it's right, i'm sorry if that's what it seems like I mean, but I whole heartedly do not think what he did was right.

I do find it disturbing though that people are not acknowledging the steps Peterson has taken to correct his mistake. It's disturbing that a man can put forth the effort to change and be given no credit.

When you can admit your wrong, then go and seek help to correct that, but it doesn't matter, it's not taken into consideration when people judge you. Well I guess I feel sorry for anyone that makes a mistake going forward, since apparently we are no longer able to make them.

Rhyno -

Please keep trying to make a case that this is ok to do a 4 year old

9e6y2y8a.jpg

After talking to dozens of friends and neighbors about the AP case it is clear that this is a very polarizing topic and just like abortion, reasonable people are on both sides of the issue. I'm of the opinion that abortion is murder but many people I know and love, including some in my household, disagree completely. I find it ironic and flawed logic that many of the people who believe in the right to abort a fetus that can't protect itself and has a 90%+ chance of growing into a human being by surviving pregnancy and childbirth. Again, I don't care what side of the AP case or abortion you are on, I find that both issues have large numbers on each side. What I don't get is the lack of outrage for current NFL players that have already been convicted of domestic assault but are still playing.

I think the Hardy and Macdonald cases happened in the offseason and kind of flew under the radar. Especially with the Rice case getting all the attention because there was video, and now the AP case.

Wow this thread is completely out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say it's out of control. But, when discussing something that happens within one's home and between family members, it can get pretty polarizing.

I very seriously doubt that anybody that agrees with one side of the issue is going to bend to anything the other side says.

I wouldn't say it's out of control. But, when discussing something that happens within one's home and between family members, it can get pretty polarizing.

I very seriously doubt that anybody that agrees with one side of the issue is going to bend to anything the other side says.

When slavery is brought up as a point or counterpoint it's officially out of control. In full disclosure I stopped reading after that .

When slavery is brought up as a point or counterpoint it's officially out of control. In full disclosure I stopped reading after that .

That part is true. That subject has no business in this thread.

If he wants another shot in the NFL, it absolutely should be mandated.

I agree that some part of his punishment should be to go to consoling.

But I think it says way more that he has already done that, that he is actively seeking change, that he realizes what he did crossed the line and has taken steps to change that.

That shows me that he wants to change, be a better person.

Forcing someone to do something doesn't generally end up in them changing.

That person seeking change has a much higher success rate.

slippery slope though....if we're not going to let the courts decide, then who ultimately decides what is and acceptable for for disciplining a child? Does it need to be caught on camera to be more important? Some people in this very thread would tell you you're lazy and a terrible parent for giving your kid a slap on the butt. Yes, Peterson was out of line, well beyond what society should deem as an acceptable level of disciplining your child. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent the law allows. But if the justice system doesn't feel that he's committed a crime to the level that he should be jailed right now for his or others safety until trial, then I think it's safe if he plays football in the meantime an continues with his livelihood. In fact, isn't it probably safer for his children if he's busy playing football versus unemployed and around all the time? Or are we more concerned about having out voice heard, then addressing the reality of the situation Budweiser, Radisson, et al?

As an aside, I personally think as much time should be focused on all the current kids breaking the law and committing crimes today that are from a complete lack of parenting. Or better yet, let's start examining all the players in the NFL who's children are being neglected completely and going to end up as part of a crime statistic in 10-15 years? Why not punish all of them too, since I would argue it's even a greater crime not to care and let you kid grow up without a parental figure. Yes, it may be premature, but while we're in the mood to be judge, jury and executioners, let's just get it all out of the way shall we?

I don't think anyone ever said that if you spank your kid that you're lazy and a terrible parent. Blu said bad kids are often a product of lazy parenting I believe, and I agreed with him. That was it. There's active parents who spank their kids, theirs lazy parents who spank their kids, their active parents who don't spank their kids, and there's lazy parents who don't spank their kids.

Last edited:
That part is true. That subject has no business in this thread.

I used slavery as an extreme example to show the flaws of the "well this is the way it used to be and everyone was ok with it back then" line of thinking. You all can stop reading the thread after that if you wish, but please explain how that comment has no business? It directly speaks to the point of right vs. wrong changing over time.

As an aside, AP once compared the NFL to slavery, and now he's the one beating his kids with whips....ironic.

I agree that some part of his punishment should be to go to consoling.

But I think it says way more that he has already done that, that he is actively seeking change, that he realizes what he did crossed the line and has taken steps to change that.

That shows me that he wants to change, be a better person.

Forcing someone to do something doesn't generally end up in them changing.

That person seeking change has a much higher success rate.
That may be true, but we can't just say for everyone hey go get help if you want it. No one would do it, or very little.

No. Lazy parents and poor role models are the reason for the degradation of society. A parent that uses spankings are not active parents. I firmly believe that striking a child as a form of parenting is lazy.

I don't think anyone ever said that if you spank your kid that you're lazy and a terrible parent. Blu bad kids are often a product of lazy parenting I believe, and I agreed with him. That was it. There's active parents who spank their kids, theirs lazy parents who spank their kids, their active parents who don't spank their kids, and there's lazy parents who don't spank their kids.

See above.

Ok, well he said some, that's one. :D

Some: : being at least one —used to indicate that a logical proposition is asserted only of a subclass or certain members of the class denoted by the term which it modifies

-Miriam-Webster

:bashful:

Parenting is just like many other facets in life, there is more than one way to do it. I get that some of you don't agree with spanking, but there are people who feel that spanking is a legitimate punishment for children.

Obviously in this case, Adrian Peterson went too far, which he has openly admitted and has spoke with a professional about. It sounds like some here in this thread won't be happy until they hear he's in jail or worse. I'm just amazed at the amount of judgement being thrown around in this thread, I honestly didn't expect it at all.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

That may be true, but we can't just say for everyone hey go get help if you want it. No one would do it, or very little.

Which is why it should be mandated by the NFL when he's punished. But I don't think that should happen until after the court settles it.

To me a lot of this is going to be about intent. Did Peterson intend to do that to his child, to leave marks, and open skin.

First we have to know what is true or what isn't true, if it turns how that he shoved leaves down the kids throat and punched him, like one website has reported, then ban him forever, instantly with no chance of appeal.

I don't believe those accusations as they are not widely discussed and I've only found them on one sight.

If it's true he threatened the kid to not say anything (which again based on what happened afterwards I doubt happened) then that shows me he intended to leave those markings and scars and wounds, ban him, minimum 1 year no pay. That puts him at 31 when he can attempt to come back, his NFL career is basically over at that point.

If the court decides that he intended to cause cuts and and such then see above, but at that point I would guess he'd see jail time, at least I hope he would see jail time.

If the court shows that he didn't intend to leave the those cuts and marks, and that he crossed the line then a suspension would be warranted, for how long, I have no idea under a year.

Given the steps that Peterson has already taken, and how cooperative he's been I don't believe he intended to cause cuts. That doesn't make what happened right by no means, but still shows me that it was more of a mistake.

Looking at crimes in general intent has a lot of influence on how one is punished. Show bad intent heavy pelunishment, but if things got out of hand less punishment.

Is this a situation where there was no intent to do harm but got out of hand? I have no clue I can only base my judgement on what I know, and I don't know near what the lawyers on both sides of the case do, neither does anyone else. That's why I think it's necessary to wait until the court process takes place.

It outrageous that it will take up to a year for that to happen, but that's a discussion for another thread.

There are many different ways of parenting and dishing out punishment. I personally think AP was way over the line but I don't agree that it deserves jail time. I see child abuse everyday in the form of obese and overweight kids that know little of nutrition or fitness. To me this is the ultimate in lazy parenting. Heart disease is the leading killer and so many teenagers already have heart disease before they are adults.

I don't think anyone ever said that if you spank your kid that you're lazy and a terrible parent. Blu said bad kids are often a product of lazy parenting I believe, and I agreed with him. That was it. There's active parents who spank their kids, theirs lazy parents who spank their kids, their active parents who don't spank their kids, and there's lazy parents who don't spank their kids.

Spanking is lazy. I feel like I would be lazy if I resorted to spanking. In your house with your kids, it's your choice. Take a stick to a kid, you're on the s list with me. Spank my kids and you will deal with me.

Which is why it should be mandated by the NFL when he's punished. But I don't think that should happen until after the court settles it.

To me a lot of this is going to be about intent. Did Peterson intend to do that to his child, to leave marks, and open skin.

First we have to know what is true or what isn't true, if it turns how that he shoved leaves down the kids throat and punched him, like one website has reported, then ban him forever, instantly with no chance of appeal.

I don't believe those accusations as they are not widely discussed and I've only found them on one sight.

If it's true he threatened the kid to not say anything (which again based on what happened afterwards I doubt happened) then that shows me he intended to leave those markings and scars and wounds, ban him, minimum 1 year no pay. That puts him at 31 when he can attempt to come back, his NFL career is basically over at that point.

If the court decides that he intended to cause cuts and and such then see above, but at that point I would guess he'd see jail time, at least I hope he would see jail time.

If the court shows that he didn't intend to leave the those cuts and marks, and that he crossed the line then a suspension would be warranted, for how long, I have no idea under a year.

Given the steps that Peterson has already taken, and how cooperative he's been I don't believe he intended to cause cuts. That doesn't make what happened right by no means, but still shows me that it was more of a mistake.

Looking at crimes in general intent has a lot of influence on how one is punished. Show bad intent heavy pelunishment, but if things got out of hand less punishment.

Is this a situation where there was no intent to do harm but got out of hand? I have no clue I can only base my judgement on what I know, and I don't know near what the lawyers on both sides of the case do, neither does anyone else. That's why I think it's necessary to wait until the court process takes place.

It outrageous that it will take up to a year for that to happen, but that's a discussion for another thread.
I don't think they need to wait for the courts to decide. Pretty much every company has rules you have to follow that aren't laws. A guy called into a radio show this morning and said his boss was going through a divorce before and his wife accused him of abusing their kid. His work suspended him with pay until it was resolved. My old company had a zero tolerance policy for texting or talking on the phone while driving, before it was illegal. It happens all the time.

Now it's also the Vikings right to keep playing him, but it's also the right of sponsors who give the NFL billions of dollars to let their displeasure be known, and pull sponsorship if they want.
Spanking is lazy. I feel like I would be lazy if I resorted to spanking. In your house with your kids, it's your choice. Take a stick to a kid, you're on the s list with me. Spank my kids and you will deal with me.
I don't completely agree with spanking, but I know it happens, and can see it happening in the heat of the moment. The stick thing I agree with you on.

Yea, and in this instance the company, rather the owner decided to wait, or that it was worth waiting. (Again, even if the wanted to the Vikings as an organization can only suspend him at most 8 games, 4 with pay, 4 without pay, so that leaves 7 games left. Not sure how the bye week plays into that.)

And I Riley belive that was an owner decision because Speilman looked extremely uncomfortable in his press conference.

Well I'm sure you will have plenty of people on your Sh!t list then. And don't even know it.

This thread has gotten comical with talk of lazy parenting or not lazy. Slavery.....should have never read that.

I forget what this thread is about. Oh yeah, AP and people that agree and those that don't.

Well I'm sure you will have plenty of people on your Sh!t list then. And don't even know it.

This thread has gotten comical with talk of lazy parenting or not lazy. Slavery.....should have never read that.

I forget what this thread is about. Oh yeah, AP and people that agree and those that don't.

You're probably right about the amount of people on the s list. I really hope you and I are wrong. I cannot wrap my head around justifying whipping a child.

I must apologize for my part in, I didn't intend to steer the conversation in that direction but know I did.

Like I said my stance could change if I ever have a kid. Which personally I don't ever see happening, but that's not the point.

I don't think that what Peterson did was right, in fact he use to be my favorite player, the only one I owned merchandise for, which I have since given to my mother, and I lost a lot of respect I had for Peterson. What he did was wrong.

However I do believe in second chances, and I do believe Peterson sees his mistake and has already taken steps to be a better man.

But that doesn't change the past.

I must apologize for my part in, I didn't intend to steer the conversation in that direction but know I did.

Like I said my stance could change if I ever have a kid. Which personally I don't ever see happening, but that's not the point.

I don't think that what Peterson did was right, in fact he use to be my favorite player, the only one I owned merchandise for, which I have since given to my mother, and I lost a lot of respect I had for Peterson. What he did was wrong.

However I do believe in second chances, and I do believe Peterson sees his mistake and has already taken steps to be a better man.

But that doesn't change the past.
We've all contributed to this thread getting off track, basically from the start. I think we all can agree that what he did is effed up, at least I hope. The disagreement seems to be how it should be handled from here. I also believe in second chances, after punishment. To me, his conduct was detrimental to the league, and like said, really just a jacked up thing to do. So I think there should be punishment, regardless of what the law decides.

You're probably right about the amount of people on the s list. I really hope you and I are wrong. I cannot wrap my head around justifying whipping a child.

You may not but other do, a lot of others do. Does that make them bad parents, no. It means they are different than you. I watch some of friends with their kids and I think they off their rockers but at the end of the day they are my friends and I respect their right to parent.

If I felt it harmed the kid mentally or physically I'd step in but short of that, have at it.

You may not but other do, a lot of others do. Does that make them bad parents, no. It means they are different than you. I watch some of friends with their kids and I think they off their rockers but at the end of the day they are my friends and I respect their right to parent.

If I felt it harmed the kid mentally or physically I'd step in but short of that, have at it.
I am not going to tell people how to parent. If they choose to hit their kid, so be it. But it so obviously crosses the line when you are beatinf a 4 year old with a tree branche and threatening to punch him in the face.

I see so much of what I consider bad parenting that it continues to amaze me. Often it's coming from a good friend or in-law, but as you say, have at it. It's not my kid to raise. My 5 year old nephew is hell on wheels and gets almost no discipline. One of his favorite tricks is to punch you in the nuts when you're not looking. The parents don't like to use the word no and seem to be blind to his bad behavior. Again, not my kid, but they will reap what they sow. Luckily I only have to spend a few days a year around him.

One of my co-workers, quit his job, sold his house, cars, and all his possessions and is moving his wife and 5 kids ages 3-13 to a dangerous part of Africa to become a Christian missionary in a mostly muslim area. The 2 oldest kids don't want to go and I think it's irresponsible and dangerous, but he has a right to take them and put them in harms way. May God be with them.

Last edited:
Back