Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
I am curious as to how members treat golfing while on vacation. I am not considering THP events, I am talking about normal solo/family vacations. Is golf a planning point, is it something to try to work in or do you avoid it and focus on other activities?

Depends on where I go and how much time I have. Typically I will try and work one round in, but there have been times I've left the clubs at home.

Looking back it depends on how long the vacation is

It's a side bar to a family vacation for me. Last summer we took a big family vacation to the beach for two weeks. My dad and I got 2 rounds in, but it was a definitely a "let's see if we can make it happen" thing moreso than a planned thing.

I have a complete saint of a fiancé and I am able to work in at least one or two rounds on all of the vacations that we go on. I usually plan the golf around the rest of the trip. But she is the best for letting me get out and play some fantastic courses when we travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to be the "try to get a round in on vacation" guy.
Since I married Rose and she has become as much of a golf fanatic as I, we now plan our vacations around the golf.

I've done both. There are times I'll take he clubs and play a round or two. Other times, I've not played at all. And one summer vacation was all about golf. Traveled to Arizona over Father's day 2 years ago and played golf 5 days with my son and daughter (wife rode around and took pics of the desert and us while we played). That was a great trip.

I have move right down the list.

Years ago I would first pick courses to play and then decide where to stay; later it became travel to destinations and maybe get in a round or two; now I cannot be bothered lugging clubs and, basically, I've played most of the places I wanted to.

We go to Disney 2x a year and the clubs come along. I can squeeze in a round during afternoon naps. If we go cruising the clubs stay home. That's the vacation to unwind and relax.

I avoid it. Amanda tries to get me to play, but as we both lead hectic lives, when we both get a vacay I try to make it all about her.

If it's a family vacation, then I try to get a round or two in. If I'm able to convince my wife to go to a golfing destination, it's still probably 2, maybe 3 rounds in the early a.m. I typically try to arrange golf vacations where I go just with golfing buddies so I can do more stuff with the family on vacation with them. Perfect example is I just got back from PGA National where I did a ton of golfing, whereas going to CA next month and will be very close to Pelican Hill, yet not even bringing my clubs.

I'm well trained. Hahahaha

KellyBo and I always take our golf clubs and at least get one round in at a nearby course. It's been a while as we both have been MIA from golf most of this year.

Lynne is used to me taking my clubs and getting in one round on a vacation. She shops and I get in a round (usually at a new course to me) so we are happy with the arrangement.

We usually vacation with the in laws because it is cheaper to fly to different desinations and they have a time share, it usually includes golf because my father in law is a golf nut as well. Most of the places we stay have a course on site so it is conveinient, as our daughter gets older I can see the golf slowing down.

I use most of my vacation days each year just for golf. When I visit family I pencil a day or two so we can take a day trip, but every other day I'll play early and spend time with them or play in the afternoon.

I remember interviewing for jobs a couple year ago and two times I ran off for a twilight time after the interview. I must have looked ridiculous at the airport trying to carry my suit and pulling my clubs. My clubs go everywhere hehe

It is not a planned event on most family vacations. That time is mostly meant to be with the family. If other circumstances are at play and I think I can get 2 rounds in I will bring my sticks, otherwise they stay at home.

Last edited:
It's a planning point. Since its just me and the wife we plan to hit some really nice courses on vacation. I never play more than once a day and we plan stuff she wants to do as well.

Sounds cliche, but things changed after we had our son. Prior to that, my wife and I could go on vacations where I would play golf every morning and then hang out with her every afternoon and evening. Now golf is maybe once or twice during a week vacation.

I'll try to get at least one round in unless we are on a diving vacation. Two dives in the morning and I just want a couple of cocktails by the pool and a nap.

JM

I plan where to go then find a nice course or two in the area. If it's a vacation it includes golf. The wife can go spend money else where for a few hours. It works for us.

If I'm on vacation with my partners, I'll only golf if there is time for me to do so. I'm always encouraged to bring my clubs along, just in case.

I voted that I'll golf wherever we end up. I'm lucky, very lucky, that my wife doesn't care if I'm out all day golfing, because we usually go to the coast and I just don't do beaches that much. She's cool with that so encourages me to get out and, basically, stay out of her hair (i.e. I'm not complaining about the boring beach).

Sometimes I do...sometimes I dont. But unless I can play at least twice I'm not even bothering bringing the clubs

When I owned a condo in Myrtle Beach, we went frequently and even took our 3 big dogs with us. My wife and daughter just wanted to lay by the pool and my son was always very happy to be a paid caddy.

So I could golf every single day if I wanted and I did on most days. The nights were always family time or the stray day when the ladies preferred to hit the beach. Going there always felt more like visiting a second home than an activity packed vacation.

Even during trips to Florida, my wife encouraged me to play often. She's happy to go shopping with the girls. But same, nighttime is family time.

I am curious as to how members treat golfing while on vacation. I am not considering THP events, I am talking about normal solo/family vacations. Is golf a planning point, is it something to try to work in or do you avoid it and focus on other activities?

I'm golfing and she's going to the spa, if she doesn't want to go to the spa I'm going golfing anyways. She's very very cool with it.

Back