Taylormade Penta TP - Forum Review Thread

I have not experienced this effect with the Penta, TC. I have not noticed a higher ball flight as compared to other balls I have played regularly. However, I haven't played the e6 for more than a few holes, so I cannot compare the ball flight of the penta against the e6.

I have not experienced this effect with the Penta, TC. I have not noticed a higher ball flight as compared to other balls I have played regularly. However, I haven't played the e6 for more than a few holes, so I cannot compare the ball flight of the penta against the e6.

thanks looper. the thing is, i really like this ball, its feel, and performance. it could be nothing but the distance gap between the two balls with the irons is somewhat peculiar to me. it's not all that significant but it's significant enough for me to have to think before i pull a club based off my distances.

That's funny Setho, but wait till he learns to like them. I let a buddy borrow one of my new putters yesterday and it cost me $6 worth of skins, lol. He only had to pay me $8 intead of $14, haha

haha. Nothing like helping yourself lose money.

I had a buy one get one free lesson coupon that I gave him and I am also paying for his first lesson as a gift. I have just become as good as him, but now I am giving him the tools to beat me.

thanks looper. the thing is, i really like this ball, its feel, and performance. it could be nothing but the distance gap between the two balls with the irons is somewhat peculiar to me. it's not all that significant but it's significant enough for me to have to think before i pull a club based off my distances.

we will have to do a test when we play Friday, or saturday, or next Thursday or...

Ill bring some ProV1s, some e6s and some Z $tars and we will compair them all to the Penta.

we will have to do a test when we play Friday, or saturday, or next Thursday or...

Ill bring some ProV1s, some e6s and some Z $tars and we will compair them all to the Penta.

thanks seth. i will sometimes play the zstars and to me they are a bit longer off the irons than the penta as well. ironically, i've never played with a proV.

A question for JB -

I don't know if this is already public info that I just haven't seen, but can you tell us which TaylorMade pros used the Penta at the Masters? Or if any of them used the TP Tour Red or Black? Thought it might be interesting to know.....

By the way, I have been using the Blacks and more recently the Reds all year except for my Penta trial, and have finally concluded I like the Reds a bit better, and I got the last $24 dozen Reds my pro had on sale. I still intend to give the Penta some serious trial time soon.

Shouldn't be too surprising I prefer the Reds. In the ProV1/ProV1x comparison, I ended up favoring the ProV1. Actually I like all 4 of those brands and can play any with very slight adjustments.

A question for JB -

I don't know if this is already public info that I just haven't seen, but can you tell us which TaylorMade pros used the Penta at the Masters? Or if any of them used the TP Tour Red or Black? Thought it might be interesting to know.....

I dont have that info in front of me. But I can tell you that just about every guy taht was using the black or red has made the switch.

I dont have that info in front of me. But I can tell you that just about every guy taht was using the black or red has made the switch.

I believe if you go to Taylormade webpage, it has a Masters' What's in the Bag... including ball. I cannot attest to its accuracy, but it is on there.

Well, the two remaining test Pentas went to the course with me yesterday, and I got my first test of them in more or less excellent conditions. Here is my take - GREAT BALL!!!!!! My driver opinion was unchanged - great feeling to strike it, great distance and very straight. My iron opinion gets an upgrade - I got the exact yardage I would expect from a premium ball, no loss whatsoever like I indicated I thought I was getting in earlier reviews; also nice spin - every short iron shot backed up 1-3 feet. I also had nice control on my pitch shots, good checking action. And like always, it was velvet off the putter face. I like this ball - I have quite a few ProV1's and TP Reds to go thru before I buy more balls, but I expect this to be my go-to ball later this year - did I say GREAT BALL enough???? And maybe I should mention that now, after 36 more shots and 9 more holes, these balls STILL have playing time - quality playing time - left in them. While the performance has been outstanding, the durability of them has proved to be amazing for me. Thank you THP and TaylorMade for giving me the chance to be a part of this trial.

Practicing with these balls on the putting/chipping green yesterday. I've been working on the 5-10 yard flop shot, and these balls would still hop once and stop. I've been playing with both the B330-RXS and Penta lately, and find I just continue to go back to the Penta. More (noticable) distance off the driver, and anything 7 iron and down I can stop the ball within 2 ft of the ball mark on the green. Even the longer irons hop twice and roll out to only 10-15 feet away.

I have read a few criticisms regarding the Pentas visable seam, are they warranted? Could performance be improved or is it something TaylorMade are going to address in the future?

I have read a few criticisms regarding the Pentas visable seam, are they warranted? Could performance be improved or is it something TaylorMade are going to address in the future?

I am sitting here looking at quite a few Pentas and I just do not see the visible seam. Perhaps I am missing something or its a little dark in my office, but I just have not had any problem like that.

Thanks for the reply JB. I would like to say it was not on this forum or elewhere on your web site that I read that criticism and it was written by a huge fan of a competitor to TaylorMade's golf balls.

Hmmm. I am sitting here staring at this ball. Sure, you know where it is, in a graphic sort of way, but it just does not have any issues like that. None in performance that I have seen.

Sometimes I see the noticeable seam when the ball is teed up just right and the sun is shining brightly. Other than that, I hardly ever see it. I thought the seam was much more noticeable with the TP Red.

Hmmm. I am sitting here staring at this ball. Sure, you know where it is, in a graphic sort of way, but it just does not have any issues like that. None in performance that I have seen.

You can see where the absence of dimples are, but it's completely smooth, no seam to affect ball flight...

I am suprised that they did not make this ball seamless, any reasons?

You can see where the absence of dimples are, but it's completely smooth, no seam to affect ball flight...

I am suprised that they did not make this ball seamless, any reasons?

On the three that I have (oops, had, now down to two! :sad:) I noticed that same seam/absence of dimples. It seems to run straight along the "Penta" putting aid. Does it do that for anyone else? Or was it just a production coincidence?

I thought maybe it was done on purpose to help get the putt moving better. :question:

Same pleace for all of them... at least all of the ones I have. That may be the reason it doesn't bother me as much.

Re: Taylormade Penta Trial Take 2

Re: Taylormade Penta Trial Take 2

dannyka said:
I thought maybe [the lack of dimples] was done on purpose to help get the putt moving better. :question:

I don't usually use the target aid on balls, but with the Penta I do since I don't want to roll against the seam if I can help it.

Ok I have been testing these out and here are some pros and cons.

Pros: EXTREMELY SOFT of the irons and wedges! I mean crazy soft. Good Spin on a scale of 1-10 I would say a 8. GREAT DURABILITY!
Cons: Not hitting driver as far. Spins a little to much off Driver for my liking.

Overall I like this ball. But Because I'm not long and I need all the distance of the Driver I can get, I don't see myself paying $45 a dozen on them. I feel with my swing speed a distance ball with less layers such as the E6 is what I really need. But I am going to play with these in my Tournament tomorrow and see what I think. I haven't gotten to play with them a whole lot so I hope I was just having a bad driving day and can get on track tomorrow.

I still haven't gotten an opportunity to try the Penta, but last week I found one on the course and was so excited to use it. I played the ball I had been playing til it was pretty beat up then decided it was time for the Penta, tee'd it on a par 5 and smoked it....pull O.B. in a backyard. :sad: So yep, I have hit exactly 1 shot with a Penta, on the bright side, if that was a wider hole and perhaps a easy dogleg left I would have been sitting perfect!

P4B, I hate to ask, but how tight are the two courses we'll be playing in Omaha at the Midwest outing? Hehe, couldn't pass up the chance with that one. I have two tubes of the left, so I'll give you a couple to try if you want?

I don't think they're too terribly bad, there are spots where you can lose a ball though, Quarry being more difficult than Iron Horse in that respect. Normally I won't lose a ball at Iron Horse. All in all though, neither is overly tight.

I don't think they're too terribly bad, there are spots where you can lose a ball though, Quarry being more difficult than Iron Horse in that respect. Normally I won't lose a ball at Iron Horse. All in all though, neither is overly tight.

That's good news. I have no idea from tee to tee where my drives are going all of a sudden. As far as the Penta goes, I've been using them quite a bit and they are every bit as long as anything else I've ever played. I switched back and forth the other day with several different balls and it stayed up with them. However, shooting at the pin was a marked improvement in not rolling out. I could count on it staying within 8 to 10 inches with an 8 iron, which is pretty good for me.

Still playing the Penta.
Pros: Really soft off the irons, wedges and putter. Great off the fairway woods too. Great spin!
Cons: Not as long as distance balls (but thats to be expected) but just as long as the prov1s if not longer, not crazy off the sound compared to the Prov1s.
Great ball! I really like it! My short game has improved drastically.

Back