Classy Patrick Reed.

To me this incident is no different than the Riley Cooper or Tim Bishop incidents. It's not like it's been a common trend with him to make these types of comments.

Reed has apologized, and I think everybody knows that he was simply frustrated and angry with himself. Often when people are angry and frustrated they don't always think about what they say, again this happens all the time.

Ah well though, everybody is free to their opinions, I just think there is much more important things to worry about than a golfer cursing at himself.

Huge difference between this and the Cooper incident in my mind. Cooper used a slur towards a group of people in a negative way. Reed did not say anything offensive to anyone, he used a poor choice of words to express anger with himself.

There is an old Seinfeld episode about Dentist Tim Whatley in which Jerry accuses the guy of converting to Judaism strictly for the jokes. A priest asks him if this offends him as a Jew. His response..."No, it offends me as a comedian".
Yeah, I was actually thinking of that episode when I was reading this thread. Love that show.

I have all the smokers in my department referring to cigarettes as fags LOL (it's a common term over there. We don't use it as a gay slur)

I have all the smokers in my department referring to cigarettes as fags LOL (it's a common term over there. We don't use it as a gay slur)

That's a bunch of bollocks! :D

Back in the day everyone had a black friend. Now, everyone has a gay friend. What's next?

The fact that gay people use this slur as well doesn't make it any more acceptable to use. Just as the fact a lot of AA refer to each other using the N-word doesn't make it acceptable to use it as well. It just makes them as dumb as people who are actually using it as a slur.

:popcorn:

Just did a Google search for Patrick Reed. It's probably not going to end well.

Even though I cannot stand Reed, we are wrapped up in all this politically correct BS while ISIS is cutting off people's heads. But they better not call them f****ts or we will really get upset.

Even though I cannot stand Reed, we are wrapped up in all this politically correct BS while ISIS is cutting off people's heads..

That's because we live in a world where many people get more upset about three or four words that someone said in haste, in jest, or in anger, than we do about actions that are really harmful or that reflect real evil. Our priorities, as well as our sense of understanding of, and compassion for, our fellow human beings, is seriously out of whack.

Even though I cannot stand Reed, we are wrapped up in all this politically correct BS while ISIS is cutting off people's heads. But they better not call them f****ts or we will really get upset.

The only thing I saw that was a huge mistake in this was that it was on live air. Networks have policies that warn EVERYONE what can and can't be said on the air. The comments themselves were not directed at anyone but himself, poor choice for sure but he didn't look in the camera and make the comment while hushing the crowd and hopping up and down like a mad man. He made a comment in a sporting environment where FAR FAR FAR worse things have been said and done. But with the current happenings in the sports industry all incidents will be handled differently than they would have in the 80's, 90's and even early 00's. Guess they are holding these people who make 100' of thousands and millions more accountable Now.

Lots of drama in a pretty short time for this guy. Might be worth taking a moment to slow himself down so he doesn't do himself or his sponsors any harm.
Might be a bit to late. Wondering if sponsors will sit idly by?

Might be a bit to late. Wondering if sponsors will sit idly by?

Aren't there some Callaway Employees that frequent this site? I am sure they have read through all of this. I honestly hope they leave it at the fine, say they are going to send him to an anger management something and start showing more pictures of him being affectionate with his family.

Aren't there some Callaway Employees that frequent this site? I am sure they have read through all of this. I honestly hope they leave it at the fine, say they are going to send him to an anger management something and start showing more pictures of him being affectionate with his family.
There are people from every major brand that read THP.

Back in the day everyone had a black friend. Now, everyone has a gay friend. What's next?
How about no adjectives, everyone just has a friend(s)?

That's because we live in a world where many people get more upset about three or four words that someone said in haste, in jest, or in anger, than we do about actions that are really harmful or that reflect real evil. Our priorities, as well as our sense of understanding of and compassion for our fellow human beings, is seriously out of whack.
You're totally right. Let's show compassion and understanding for fellow human beings by using slurs that can be offensive to other fellow human beings.

The fact that people get upset when someone like Reed says dumb stuff like this doesn't say they don't care about ISIS or that they don't have the right priorities, that's a fallacy. Using that logic, you can get away with pretty much anything. But ISIS is doing what we expect ISIS to do; acting like a bunch of barbaric lunatics, spreading death and destruction. I get mad looking at it, or even thinking about it. But it's a different kind of mad, cause I know they're nuts. I know they are intolerant extremists.

I think we, as large portion of the general public, should expect Reed to behave better than what did today, therefore the upset.

The only thing I saw that was a huge mistake in this was that it was on live air. Networks have policies that warn EVERYONE what can and can't be said on the air. The comments themselves were not directed at anyone but himself, poor choice for sure but he didn't look in the camera and make the comment while hushing the crowd and hopping up and down like a mad man. He made a comment in a sporting environment where FAR FAR FAR worse things have been said and done. But with the current happenings in the sports industry all incidents will be handled differently than they would have in the 80's, 90's and even early 00's. Guess they are holding these people who make 100' of thousands and millions more accountable Now.

How the comments were caught should not reflect the resulting fine/suspension based on the derogatory term used. Regardless of who it was directed towards, it's still using that term in an incredibly negative way.

I'm genuinely curious to those blowing these comments off, or making a joke of the thread with various comments (not directed at you Gohead): Is this the type of comment you'd expect to hear around your workplace? Would you be comfortable making these statements where the entirety of your company and consumer base were able to hear after struggling to do something?

Regardless of how you twist it, he's at 'work' and the standards are clearly defined. The more I read this thread, the more I hope he gets an example made of him. Kids don't need to be hearing this crap on TV or behind the ropes at a PGA tour event. And that goes for all swearing, for that matter.

I can't say that I haven't said some very mean things to myself under profound duress. Not necessarily that terminology in as much as that particular reference to a cigarette, but I've called myself for worse than stupid in the heat of a stressful situation. The sad part as I see it is that the most stress he's likely to feel in life...for that matter, the most stress his grandkids will feel, should he invest his winnings reasonably well and the economy hold up...is over a game of golf.

He called himself a reprehensible term (both in his perception of what it implies and an objectively offensive term to the public) over a 3-putt. In the first round of a tournament.

I hope his introspection on this event centers on that bit of perspective, not over the money lost.

I know, they take their jobs seriously, and plenty of us have had some kind of BSOD meltdown on the golf course, but most of us get over it. I know a lot of people blame it on youth and immaturity, but I can't really agree with that. Guys his age are NCOs and junior officers in the Army, with the world on their shoulders, and keep their heads in the game under much more stress than a golf game. I think that bothers me more than a term that I don't think I've heard used in person in a decade. He's 24 years old, and his sense of perspective is skewed enough that despite six and a half million dollars earned, he felt the need to say that word because he 3-putted.

You're totally right. Let's show compassion and understanding for fellow human beings by using slurs that can be offensive to other fellow human beings.

An intent to harm someone, or an intent to intentionally slander another, is one thing. OTOH, lots of people -- I'm referring to human beings who are fallible, not robots -- say things in haste or in anger that they did not really mean to say or that do not reflect what they believe. What was that saying, "Let he who is without sin . . . ."?

The fact that people get upset when someone like Reed says dumb stuff like this doesn't say they don't care about ISIS or that they don't have the right priorities, that's a fallacy.

That fact that people get upset when someone like Reed says something dumb does not say they do not care about ISIS. That is true. But I do not think that it is a fallacy that we tend to overreact to mere words -- often just a few words spoken in haste -- and we spend lots of effort damning the person who made the comment, while more serious matters get less attention from the media and social media-- at least in relation to their relative importance. I think one could come up with many examples today.*

* It took the thread on Ebola on this forum two and a half months to reach the number of pages that this thread did in two days.

Last edited:
How the comments were caught should not reflect the resulting fine/suspension based on the derogatory term used. Regardless of who it was directed towards, it's still using that term in an incredibly negative way.

I completely agree with you. But coming from the network side of this, the Station has to fine him is what I'm talking of. That's policy.

The vulgarity fines, suspensions and what have you's of the derogatory terms will end up coming from the PGA, sponsors and other backers.

Certain words are either offensive and should not be used by anyone, or are not offensive and people need to get over it when they are used. In this case the word used falls in the 1st category.

well now we all need to have a black Jewish gay friend to cover all bases.

There's a whole lot more "bases" than that. We keep inventing new ones every day.

So why is it okay for them and not Reed. Same thing among black folks. The double standard in this country is a joke! It's all just words.

Who said it was ok.

Back