Who is/was the most underrated musician in "Rock and Roll"?

I'm guessing either (1) lots of drummers; or (2) lots of 80's music.

For whatever reason, I self-identify as a drummer even though I'm a far better guitarist than drummer. And I'm a mediocre guitarist on a good day.

So is Chad Kroeger, and that didn't stop him!

Man there are so many in my eyes it's not funny but I'll start with a few.

Phil Lynott- Thin Lizzy never got his due as a musician
Tom Petty
Roger Waters - Pink Floyd, a genius
Nuno Betencourt - Extreme incredibly talented beyond speed
Gary Cherone - Extreme, great songwriter and vocalist
Neil Giraldo - Pat Benatar, what can I say great player!

Here are another good ones: Captain Beefheart and Thelonious Monk

In a similar vein, but not quite the same, the first name I thought of when I saw this thread was Howlin' Wolf.

So is Chad Kroeger, and that didn't stop him!

Same with Kurt Cobain. Except Kurt was a brilliant songwriter. My songwriting alternates between blatant Cure ripoffs to blatant Queens of the Stone Age ripoffs.

And if we're going to venture slightly out of Rock 'N Roll, I humbly submit Derek Trucks. Only the greatest slide guitar player alive. Yet, people seem to know him mainly as the husband of Susan Tedeschi or the son of Butch Trucks (a founding member of the Allman Bros.)

Richard Wright in Pink Floyd.

Malcolm Young in AC/DC. His brother gets far more attention, but the band has a completely different sound without Malcolm's tight and aggressive rhythm guitar play.

Kid Rock is a musical savant who is mostly known for his most obnoxious musical output. But he can play nearly any instrument like he's been at it for his whole life.

Digible Planets melded jazz and hip hop in a truly unique and entertaining way before gangsta rap became the predominant genre.

Edgar Winter and his Moog Machine, I think, never really got his due. One of the first to pioneer synths in rock, as well as the keytar. I mean, to a certain extent we have to blame him for the 80's, but at the time it was novel and cool.

Dave Grohl! Amazing musician and highly under rated. Him or Corey Taylor.

Jeff Beck

People always talk about Hendrix (with good reason), but Jeff Back may in fact be the greatest guitarist of all time. Eric Clapton (Beck's old partner) is another guy that doesn't get nearly enough praise.

Jeff Beck

People always talk about Hendrix (with good reason), but Jeff Back may in fact be the greatest guitarist of all time. Eric Clapton (Beck's old partner) is another guy that doesn't get nearly enough praise.

Whaa? I think Jeff Beck and Clapton gets plenty of praise (rightfully so).
Janis Joplin to add on the list.

Ben Folds (solo and Ben Folds Five). Brilliant musician and songwriter that never achieved the commercial success that he / they deserved.

I was a huge fan of Ben Folds back in the day... When he was more raw and creative, he was absolutely at his best.

Rock this B*tch? hahahaha! Might have to listen to him tonight.

I was a huge fan of Ben Folds back in the day... When he was more raw and creative, he was absolutely at his best.

Rock this B*tch? hahahaha! Might have to listen to him tonight.
On my mp3 right now while driving. Best Imitation of Myself

On my mp3 right now while driving. Best Imitation of Myself

My wife and I danced to "The Luckiest" at our wedding. What I like about him is how he can draw it back to relax, then completely flip to fast paced and fun. Just a lively dude.

My wife and I danced to "The Luckiest" at our wedding. What I like about him is how he can draw it back to relax, then completely flip to fast paced and fun. Just a lively dude.
Went to his shows three or four times when I lived in the Carolinas. Incredible shows with a lot of audience interaction on his part. Miss those good ole days..

Last edited:
Old school I'll say Neil Schon from Journey. Dude was an incredible player but chose melody and style over swinging his Twinkie in people's face. Super underrated.

New school I'm going with Justin Hawkins from The Darkness. That dude plays with more attitude and ability than any modern guitarist that I can think of of outside of John Mayer when he's doing his blues thing.

Ben Folds (solo and Ben Folds Five). Brilliant musician and songwriter that never achieved the commercial success that he / they deserved.

I literately ran into him when I was leaving the NYC marathon expo two weeks ago. Said sorry then I realized who he was. He was giving someone directions on where he was.

Tom Morello Rage Against The Machine.

I gotta few:
Warren Zevon, his music was kinda out there. But his skill behind the mixing board is second to none.
Alex VanHalen, always in the shadow of Eddie But can sure hit the skins.
Geddy Lee, just listen to what he's playing and then realize he's singing too.
Slade, without them there is no Quiet Riot.
Les Paul, he gave us the electric guitar, but he was and probably always be the best gutarist ever.
And lastly Mutt Lange, so many artist rose to fame because of his skill in the studio.

Mark Shuman

Chuck berry . Yes a lot consider him great but he's the true founder of rock and roll and doesn't get the credit .

Hell when you're the Beatles idol you're somebody special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck berry . Yes a lot consider him great but he's the true founder of rock and roll and doesn't get the credit .

Hell when you're the Beatles idol you're somebody special.

He was influenced by a white kid that Chuck's cousin Marvin Berry heard play at a high school dance.

He was influenced by a white kid that Chuck's cousin Marvin Berry heard play at a high school dance.

Well done sir.

Love that movie.

And if we're going to venture slightly out of Rock 'N Roll, I humbly submit Derek Trucks. Only the greatest slide guitar player alive. Yet, people seem to know him mainly as the husband of Susan Tedeschi or the son of Butch Trucks (a founding member of the Allman Bros.)

I thought he was Butch Trucks nephew. And I agree he is absolutely awesome.

In answer to the OP now that the Allmans have been brought up, Dickey Betts is underated IMO, most people only know Duane and his incredible work before his untimely death but Betts is the real deal.

Can I add Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip. Huge band in Canada but no one in the US seems to know about them. Amazing musician and band.

Back