"Catch-All" Terms - What do you make of them?

Straightest, when in fact the club head has very little to do with the ball going straight when compared to the other variables involved (ie the swing)

I'm definitely guilty of saying buttery or butter smooth :disapointed:

But I do think "clicky" is useful. If a club has a very audible click when hitting it, I really don't know what other term there is to use.

How about "clacky" :alien:.. Clicky or clacky make a club whacky. :D

I like my drivers "tingy" not "thwacky".

Great thread - I do not like the term "click" as in when putting with one you hear or feel a "click" more compared to others....

Also the term "You get a nice crack sound when you hit this thing on the screws" - If I am hearing a crack, that usually is associated with something breaking haha....

Are you sure the balls aren't hitting like a "McRock"?

Haha...but seriously, some pinnacle golf balls really do feel like you're hitting rocks though. Or marbles. Or something else just really hard.

Lol. But what makes this thread so interesting is that I actually think Pinnacle golf balls area soft, or at least their 'precision' ones are. Against, we have different experiences with the same stuff.

~Rock

Forgiveness gets ABUSED.
Forgiveness is my number 1 hated and overused catch-all.

If you read through THP threads and took everything as it was typed then you'd come away thinking every single club is forgiving.

To me forgiveness must be used in a comparison...and that is it. A club is either more forgiving or less forgiving in a certain way than another club.
I don't see how a players iron can be called forgiving in any way when you look at the clubs out there that are actually forgiving.

If you read through THP threads and took everything as it was typed then you'd come away thinking every single club is forgiving.

To me forgiveness must be used in a comparison...and that is it. A club is either more forgiving or less forgiving in a certain way than another club.
I don't see how a players iron can be called forgiving in any way when you look at the clubs out there that are actually forgiving.

See, I'm a little different about it at the end. A players iron CAN be forgiving when comparing it to like irons in the same type of class/area/range. Most realize you aren't comparing a players iron to a SGI iron there, but I do agree specificity as to which forgiveness aspect you are talking about is key (i.e. retention of ball speed on misses, launch on misses, line kept, etc.).

Wouldnt ball speed retention be a true determining factor? Then combine that with spin changes?

I've probably used and probably abused a few 'catch-all' terms in the past, but I like to think those terms are mostly used subjectively anyways.

I think when people talk about the way a golf ball feels is the one I'm most confused about. Maybe if I hit a ball from 5, 10 years ago I'd notice, but I normally can't tell a difference from one ball to the next when I hit it.

Wouldnt ball speed retention be a true determining factor? Then combine that with spin changes?
Definitely.
I guess all I'm saying is that forgiveness is something that should be measured and quantified for the sake of comparison.

That shaft feels "boardy".

Shaft talk in general for me and Im guilty of it myself.

Whippy, boardy, etc, etc, etc.

Everyone's swing is so different and everyone interprets how a shaft reacts in THEIR hands so differently, I don't get how you can make a recommendation online, though a lot of us, including myself still try.

I dunno. I think there are some somewhat universal qualities in shafts. Boardy might be used too much and annoying, but it's just another way of saying 'really stiff feeling'. I suppose people could say that, but same end result.

Thinking about it more there are some "catch all" terms I like including but not limited to "telehone pole" and "rebar".

Thinking about it more there are some "catch all" terms I like including but not limited to "telehone pole" and "rebar".
I'd love to see folks swing a piece of rebar.

I don't like it when the forged crowds assume that non forged irons are clicky or hard because of what they're made of. I respect their opinion but its just annoying to see that assumption made without looking at the design first.

Any time any club or ball is referred to as butter with regards to contact. No. It's not. Oddly, one company in particular seems to have that reference all the time, and I certainly don't recall that feeling at all.

Any time any club or ball is referred to as butter with regards to contact. No. It's not. Oddly, one company in particular seems to have that reference all the time, and I certainly don't recall that feeling at all.

78ac7449fc4100f84f3f7f496771f217.jpg

Like Buttah!

I don't like it when the forged crowds assume that non forged irons are clicky or hard because of what they're made of. I respect their opinion but its just annoying to see that assumption made without looking at the design first.

That's true. The forged Wilson Staff M3's have the loudest audible "click" sound to them out of probably any iron I've ever hit. And then on the flip side, the new RSi2's which are primarily cast feel better at contact to me than a lot of forged offerings.

I think the big thing here is that all of these "catch all" phrases had to start somewhere with some sort of comparison that actually made sense. Some shafts really do feel "whippy" compared to others and some clubs are definitely "clicky" when others are much more muted...the problem has come that they are over-used a lot and sometimes used in a manner that doesn't really do anything helpful. But still, there are comparisons and reviews that words like that make sense and are helpful.

I game older forged players style irons during the summer (cold & blades? no thanks) and well struck shots feel great. However, (cue angry crowd with torches and pitchforks) I get exactly the same feel from my cast clubs. Forged clubs are more prone to bag chatter than their cast counterparts so maybe that's where the soft vs hard idea came from?

Rebar: Guilty, I've handled quite a bit of rebar over the years and I did use that term to describe the dead lifeless feel of the stock shafts in a set of my irons. Strange thing is that I've played this model shaft before and it was fine and after I reshafted the irons they feel fine. It was just something about that combination that didn't work for me.

I love to hate the talk on how "soft" a ball feels with the putter, driver etc. You can't feel anything thru the head, up the shaft and thru the grip........Feel is all sound.

Then we have the "tour" & "tour only" "tour issue" BS. Just look at auctions on eBay. Everything is tour something. Just search old "Golf Pride Victory Grips" (which I still love and use). Most of the auctions say the grips came from the "tour" or off the "tour van" etc. All BS. They made zillions of those grips and a million of them are still laying around at all the old course's, club builders etc.

The "tour issue" is the best. Like the product, if it were made for some "tour" player, would do me any good.

I love to hate the talk on how "soft" a ball feels with the putter, driver etc. You can't feel anything thru the head, up the shaft and thru the grip........Feel is all sound.

Then we have the "tour" & "tour only" "tour issue" BS. Just look at auctions on eBay. Everything is tour something. Just search old "Golf Pride Victory Grips" (which I still love and use). Most of the auctions say the grips came from the "tour" or off the "tour van" etc. All BS. They made zillions of those grips and a million of them are still laying around at all the old course's, club builders etc.

The "tour issue" is the best. Like the product, if it were made for some "tour" player, would do me any good.

Hating and disagreeing with the talk of how "soft" a ball feels off a putter or not I feel is just as bad as someone stating there is a huge difference between them though. Some people actually can tell the difference between ball A and ball B, and just because you can't doesn't mean it's not there. If I putt with a Chrome Soft and then putt with a Srixon Z-star XV, they have very different feel off the putter face to me. Does that mean everyone is going to notice the same thing? No...but it doesn't mean I don't feel it. I know a lot of people on both sides of that argument though and know that some would agree and some also disagree with the statement.

and FWIW, "Tour" issue clubs also tend to just mean smaller head size or stiffer heavier shafts. It's not really BS, it's a way to distinguish differences between two clubs with the same name. My "tour" classic XL 3 wood has a smaller head and stronger loft than what came on the normal classic XL 3 wood. But it's different than the non "tour" one...so I guess I don't see how that's BS for naming it that.

Oh well...potato potato (doesn't really have the same effect when typing it out).

If you have a clacky club the head is probably loose haha

More likely my head is loose and not the clacky club head .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably use some but none really bother me.

Back