Do talkers on the tee or while putting bother you? Advice

I don't have a problem with people talking

in fact sometimes it can help make me less tense over the ball and help me hit a better shot since I'm not so worried about it

As others have said, it's when something CHANGES mid swing that it can mess with my brain a little. I don't mind background talking as long as it's semi quiet and you don't suddenly start while I'm in my pre swing haha

Usually doesn't. Im out there to have a great time and it's when people don't talk is when it's no fun

Like others have said, noise doesn't bother me if it's consistent. It's when it's silent than half way through your swing people start talking which bothers me.

I can see how it can bother people, but the talking doesn't bother me at all. If it's sudden when it's been quiet, it might startle me a bit, but I try to not let that sort of thing get to me and just focus on my shot.

This is my feelings too, I'm just use to playing those who out of respect will stop talking on tee or green.

If I'm distracted by noise then my head isn't in the game. I play with music all the time so noice and chatter doesn't bother me.

The casual talk doesn't bother me but I try to avoid it in respect of others.

It's the "unexpected" noise in the middle of a swing that can cause my swing to react somehow.

This is something that bothers me when it happens. I try to not let it, but haven't found a way to block it out yet. All the guys in the regular golf group I play with are still and quiet when others hit so I guess that it's why it's such a distraction when it does happen. Just not used to it.

It only bothers me if I hit a bad drive or miss a putt. I've got someone to blame my poor play on then.

I enjoy normal banter during a round--even some that is good natured smack. But, it does bother me when it's when you're in the process of hitting a shot or making a putt. Once a player starts his pre-shot routine, the talk should stop. At a minimum it's disrespectful. If intentional, it's deceitful.

My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you've played with ATLGolfer too??!! He-He

It wouldn't bother me unless the putt was for big $$$$ and I missed.

There are rules in golf, unwritten and written. There is a thing called respect, and these guys simply don't have the same level of respect for the game that you and I do.

It's unfortunate, but you are not out of bounds asking them to please keep quiet when you are trying to hit.

I don't mind if people are talking while I start my preshot or if they continue to talk while I swing. I just don't like it when they start talking when I start to swing. Stay quiet or keep talking.

If mid swing they talk yes, most definitely bothers me. However I bring it up after the first case appears.

Some constant chatter or murmuring while I'm addressing the ball or swinging doesnt really bother me but an abrupt noise or exclamation in my swing definitely does. What really irks me the most is someone moving around in my view while I'm putting. Can't you just stay still for 10 seconds!! I play with a guy regularly that does this and it has definitely helped me work on this. It also cracks me up when he gets a little pissy if someone makes a noise when he's teeing off.

Let me also add, the default position is to be quiet unless told it's OK otherwise.

Do talkers on the tee or while putting bother you? Advice

It doesn't bother me at all.

However, it does bother you, and in turn, I would make a point to be quiet while you were swinging. That those guys didn't make an effort, makes them jerkoffs in my book.

Typically not a bother unless you start when I'm at the top of my swing or you throw stuff at me in my swing.

Last edited:
Ok, this used to bother me more than anything. I'd back away from shots if I heard someone talking but now that I hit balls and play golf with a 6 and 3 year old I don't even hear people. I guess I've got used to the noise from my kids talking to me while hitting balls and playing it, at time, seems like no one is around

Noise doesn't bother me. McRock will tell you I just get up there and rip it no matter what is going on. That being said, I'm always quiet and respectful for those I'm playing with while they are playing their shots.

You could run a marching band across the tee or green and I wouldn't even notice.

But for people to move around or make noise while others are hitting is horrible etiquette.

Noise doesn't bother me as such but talking loud enough so I can hear the conversation does annoy me. That and people fiddling with clubs in bags and the worst is players that undo their gloves as I'm about to hit.

Typically not a bother unless you start when I'm at the top of my swing or you throw stuff at me in my swing.

I was thinking about this as I was reading through the thread. One of my friends and I will roll a ball between each other's feet every once in a while on the tee. Totally breaks the tension if we're playing terribly.

I've never had the experience that the OP had, but if people are talking and I slice one, they've always apologized. I tell them that I can do that with noise or quiet. Hearing people talk doesn't bother me one bit.

Hi to all of you! So I do not consider my self anal or even irritable but I ran into something today while playing that really bothered me.

i have only been back in the game for a few months, I'm really enjoying it and during the last two rounds have actually been respectable, an 81 yesterday and 83 today. I have a lot of practice to do still. But fun anyway!

while playing today, I was a single hooked up with a couple guys who were very nice but their game was...hal should I say it...different. They wanted to compete from the first hole, I told them I was just practicing but would participate anyway, I wanted to be cordial.

Well, right off the first tee they told me about the rule they use wherein if they don't hit it 10 yards they will hit another, lol. Not a good sign. It turns out any shot they didn't like they rehit, and reHit again until they were satisfied, lol. No problem, but it was irritating to hear them claim pars after I watched them hit 5 shots over! Not the issue though, although it was disturbing.

my issue is, these nice gentlemen, every time I was either on the tee or on the green they would not shut up. They were not doing it on purpose, just talked, talked talked, or cleaned their balls while I'm swinging, or cleaning their shoes on the shoe cleaner, it was non stop.

i was polite, tried to ignore it but on the tee on the 18th hole, the dude with the mouth that wouldn't stop said to me after I stepped away from my ball, "you get distracted easily don't you?" I told him no, noise only bothers me when it's unexpected. He said, "you should work on that!" Lol. I told him, I normally just hope the players I'm with are respectable and don't make noise when they should be quiet. I think he got the message. Nah, no he didn't.

I was pissed at myself for letting it bother me, but a train passing by is okay, other noises are okay. But I think what actually bothers me is when I don't get the respect I really try to give others.

im not a complainer, but today was CrAZY!

Thoughts? Let me know if I'm the crazy one.

Doesn't bother me. In fact I usually don't even realize that they are talking. I've had guys apologize for talking during my swing, even tell me to take the shot over, and I look at them thinking "You were talking? Really?" I honestly don't even notice.

It's a good quality to have on the golf course, not so good when it's your wife who's talking to you. :bicker:

Only a problem if the conversation starts during my swing. Constant noise isn't an issue.

Sent from my LG G3

Back