Regional Rivalry Is Coming To THP

I think IL/Wis could get 8. Maybe 8 just from IL but I'd have to survey the group. They haven't been too active. I know 4 for sure. @Drp3434 where you at on this?
Haha I've been called out. I've been in and out of this thread and I can't keep up with the banter. The event does sound pretty sweet from what we know. I came into this year pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to travel for events for various reasons. Could have something in the next couple weeks though that could change that. So we'll see! I'd love to get in on this if I can make it work.

Anytime. But before we let you in were going to need a clean bill of health from your doctor.
Please, it's Arizona. No matter how hard your governor or crazy sherriff may try to prevent it everyone is allowed immediate entry. Even Coers.

Haha I've been called out. I've been in and out of this thread and I can't keep up with the banter. The event does sound pretty sweet from what we know. I came into this year pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to travel for events for various reasons. Could have something in the next couple weeks though that could change that. So we'll see! I'd love to get in on this if I can make it work.
Glad to hear it! Hope all works out well!!

As a newer member of THP, I would fully understand the tenure aspect if that was taken into account, and would do so with 0 butthurt about it...but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want to do everything possible to represent and defend my region in an event like this. Be it Ohio or the midwest or any other configuration, I'm ready to duke it out.

Fortunately most everyone can get into any THP event regardless of skill and tenure and most of the members that have been here for a while wouldn't discriminate against anyone when it came to selections if that's the way it went down, we really do support the mix of new, old, low capper or high capper.

This blows my mind! If the players were of equal skill, there would be no need for the handicap. One of the handicap system's primary purposes is to enable players of different skill levels compete fairly, and, yes that means that a mid capper would have a chance to beat a low capper occasionally. In my buddy Mikeg's example. for instance, if I had to qualify heads up against Kyle (flog2424), why would I waste my time showing up. If you want the low cappers, just pick them. There is no need for a qualifier.

I guess I'm looking at it with a different a set of eyes Ken and that's ok, I'd rather pair people when it comes to handicap and I think pairing an 8 against a 12 or a 6 is ok but I would not put a 2 against a 15, that's just me. I'd want the better of the two 4, 8, or 16 handicap and if it was my choice that's the way I'd do it. I respect the hell out of your game and you have a ton of wisdom about the game but I've seen some high cappers play great against low cappers, maybe they play better with better golfers but pair them with a golfer of similar skill and the norm comes out, not the exception, that's what I'd be looking for.

Not sure how that could work with this format of a forum though without becoming a "hey I know this guy but I don't know this guy so I choose" unless you still have a random draw and then they get to choose from that group?

The selections for events here have always been incredible, JB, Morgan and the captains in tem events have always been a mix of everything, like THP jambalaya. If you're an active member your chances are pretty good.

disclaimer: my responses are just me thinking of a scenario and a way it COULD go down but THP history proves that usually I am usually way off base.

This is the event that has me most excited this year. Idk how much THPing I'll get to do with work and the new house but this is one I can make an exception for.

I think IL/Wis could get 8. Maybe 8 just from IL but I'd have to survey the group. They haven't been too active. I know 4 for sure. @Drp3434 where you at on this?

I will say this. I think people assume that THP does not have many others from their state, because they are not in this thread, or active in some local discussion thread. I think people would be surprised how many people are from each state that just never venture into the course/event section or really never venture out of the golf clubs section.

True story, met a guy recently locally that has been a member of THP for 3 years. He has never once ventured out of either the Marketplace or the golf clubs section. Didnt even know we held local events or get togethers and never clicked on the grand events listed in the club section because they were too big.

Odds are it might take some recruiting for some areas when the time comes, but I think that people will like #RegionalRivalry when it plays out.

Wowzers, what a thread to read in the AM with 200 new posts.

Region, state, republic, town, city, country, continent, county.......call it whatever the eff you want but I'll be looking to represent the "territory" I belong/reside in when the time comes.

Happy Monday?!?!

It is hard to keep up with this thread's 1900+ posts. Checking out until more details are known.

I guess I'm looking at it with a different a set of eyes Ken and that's ok, I'd rather pair people when it comes to handicap and I think pairing an 8 against a 12 or a 6 is ok but I would not put a 2 against a 15, that's just me. I'd want the better of the two 4, 8, or 16 handicap and if it was my choice that's the way I'd do it. I respect the hell out of your game and you have a ton of wisdom about the game but I've seen some high cappers play great against low cappers, maybe they play better with better golfers but pair them with a golfer of similar skill and the norm comes out, not the exception, that's what I'd be looking for.

I may have misread your original post, Marc. I agree with you on pairing people with similar handicaps up for matches. In most tournaments I play, they are flighted for just that purpose. In most match play tournaments, however, and some medal play ones, the flight winners then play off to determine an eventual overall winner. Then you just have to rely on the handicap system to make it somewhat fair. But to play matches where a 2 would play a 15 heads up, would be somewhat pointless IMO.

I may have misread your original post, Marc. I agree with you on pairing people with similar handicaps up for matches. In most tournaments I play, they are flighted for just that purpose. In most match play tournaments, however, and some medal play ones, the flight winners then play off to determine an eventual overall winner. Then you just have to rely on the handicap system to make it somewhat fair. But to play matches where a 2 would play a 15 heads up, would be somewhat pointless IMO.
That's fine Ken but in qualifying I'd want the best of the two.

I will say this. I think people assume that THP does not have many others from their state, because they are not in this thread, or active in some local discussion thread. I think people would be surprised how many people are from each state that just never venture into the course/event section or really never venture out of the golf clubs section.

True story, met a guy recently locally that has been a member of THP for 3 years. He has never once ventured out of either the Marketplace or the golf clubs section. Didnt even know we held local events or get togethers and never clicked on the grand events listed in the club section because they were too big.

Odds are it might take some recruiting for some areas when the time comes, but I think that people will like #RegionalRivalry when it plays out.
Get me a list! :) I'll fire up the old PM box! I know there are plenty of folks out there but if we don't know who they are, and they don't venture in to post somewhere, not sure how to get them involved.

Seems like we just need to be patient ( Not my strong suit) and see what the powers of THP have in mind. I'm sure it will be fun and interesting.

Seems like we just need to be patient ( Not my strong suit) and see what the powers of THP have in mind. I'm sure it will be fun and interesting.

That's what I'm thinking most of is DMV'ers are the thinking. Right now we're letting everyone else do all the talk.

When the details are known and the time comes, I'm confident we'll have a representation. We have what 6 or 7 headed to Pittsburgh?

That's what I'm thinking most of is DMV'ers are the thinking. Right now we're letting everyone else do all the talk.

When the details are known and the time comes, I'm confident we'll have a representation. We have what 6 or 7 headed to Pittsburgh?

i think its 8 or 9 going but hey whats a +/- 1 or 2.

#RegionalRivalry Is Coming To THP

#RegionalRivalry Is Coming To THP

i think its 8 or 9 going but hey whats a +/- 1 or 2.

JB didn't day there would be math involved. :)

We can get 8 to travel with no issue, if 8 is the number.
FL getting a team of 8 that could travel? Id like to have that happen, but it would be close.

Instead of worrying about how teams are going to be picked. Get the game ready. And hope you get the nod.

Lurking in the shadows working on the game. Letting the event details work themselves out.

Anybody thought about what it might take to get picked by your region/state captain? How will you stand out? How will you be recognized for your work? How will you separate yourself from the wolf pack?

See my avatar.

Whether it is state or region, I'll be ready to represent either one.

Indeed we do!

I'm down - no matter what format JB & Morgan come up with!

I had a dream about this last night that Iowa was a 'state' in the competition. I was reading the post on THP and everything. Iowa had to field 4 people, and then could get 4 other people from Nebraska, South Dakota, and Minnesota. Iowa was also a host site. It was an awesome dream, and when I woke up, I was ready to call Flying Wedge and Sleuth to make sure they were going to play.....and then I remembered it was a dream.

~Rock

This thread is better than tv

#loveyouguys

That is all you can do. Working yourself into a lather does nothing for anyone. It gives people thoughts they don't need in their heads. This will be a cool event, I am certain of that.
Lurking in the shadows working on the game. Letting the event details work themselves out.

No matter where, when or where the lines are drawn. This event means that my goal (numbers) for this season needs to be adjusted accordingly and reached. Sounds like work with a purpose to me!

Back