Putter covers, what if they weren't included

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
What if putter companies stop including putter covers when you purchased the putter. They would be available but only for purchase. Would you still buy the putter?

Let's say the putter cost $150 with no cover and the cover is an additional $30. Do you still pull.the trigger?

what if it's a Scott for $350 and the cover is $50 more. Do you buy it and the cover or just the putter?

My putters would go naked.

I would buy one to go with the putter that I take to the course, and simply make sure I'm careful with the other putters that stay home.

Still buy the putter and use THP covers

I think because we are so conditioned to receive a head cover with any putter we buy it would be difficult to accept at first.

But, their are various other options such as buying used, buying a THP cover or just buying some kind of generic cover and using that.

Over time people would probably get used to it and it would become the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what if it's a Scott for $350 and the cover is $50 more. Do you buy it and the cover or just the putter?

Sadly, I can see Scameron trying to pull this off.

If it's a $150 putter, I could let it go, especially if there are options in headcovers. If it was a $350 putter, I'm not buying that putter.

I wouldn't buy it if the headcover was additional, I'll game what I have.

Tough call. I have so many putter headcovers, I'd be fine if a new putter didn't come with the headcover, but because the current putters come with the headcover I'd expect there to be an average decrease in the initial price of the putters by about 15% or so to account for that. So in your example, I wouldn't pay $350 for a Scotty and then $50 more for the headcover, but I'd consider Scotty around $300 if the headcover wasn't included.

I have 4 extra THP putter covers I could use.

No way am I spending $350 on a putter and not spending the $50 to prevent the bag chatter damage. Like Erky said, I have some THP headcovers I could use. But it would just be real annoying if companies started doing that. This game is expensive enough and if the industry really wants to bounce back, a move like this isn't going to help

I would likely purchase without the covers unless it's a shape that i don't have a cover for.

I would but a putter with no cover. I have bought a putter without one before. It doesn't get to go to the course much, but when I get it out, I have a hybrid sock head cover that I throw on it.

I would by a putter that didn't come with a headcover no problem, regardless of cost. If they want to include it, fine, but I'm not paying extra for it. I have other putters at home and I can just use the cover from one of those. It's not like I'll need them both at the same time.

I'd use THP covers. I never use stock covers anyways, most are pretty fugly anyway.

Cover? For a putter? They make those? And they're supposed to come with the putter? Never had one. Then again, I've never spent more than $49 for a putter. Granted I've only ever purchased 3 but still... I haven't had a cover for a putter.

If I was able to spend $350 for a putter or any single club for that matter, and it didn't come with a cover then I would consider looking elsewhere. Iron sets are a different matter.

I wouldn't buy it if the headcover was additional, I'll game what I have.

Still buy the putter and use THP covers

Since I now have a collection of THP putter covers, I'd use one of those. But say that wasn't an option, I'd buy a novelty type cover for it. I wouldn't shell out any more for the OEM's cover, just out of principal.

I'd be using my THP covers unless it looked pretty cool. Most stock covers are pretty blah. I don't think the impact would be that much. If that extra 50 is the deciding factor on a 350 putter maybe you shouldn't be paying 350 for a putter. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd use THP covers. I never use stock covers anyways, most are pretty fugly anyway.

Other than some of the Yes! putter covers and Scotty putter covers, I agree.

I'm going to add though, NOT covering your putter should be punishable by public flogging.

Poor putters.

High end putter $250 plus it better have a cover. Low end if I liked the shape or was just a putter to mess around with then I wouldn't care

I would certainly buy a head cover for the putter be it a THP head cover, a team logo cover, a novelty cover or whatever. I am not sure I would use one of my current THP head covers on the course as I do consider them as somewhat a collection, I would only game THP covers of which I have a duplicate.

I'd find something to use. Either buy one like a THP one or a sock. I have a SC cover that came with my putter, I think it's under my car seat right now.

I have 4 extra THP putter covers I could use.
Ok, let's say you don't have thp. Do you drop the doe rae me?

Id go to a used club golf shop they usually have all kinds of covers in there used for a few bucks (allthough I wonder if this would drive prices up)

Back