Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

Except the trade in value isn't anywhere near what these are worth having only hit them in a handful of rounds.

Just convince Ricky he needs them.

7i continues to be my 170 club. Same hole as yesterday but slightly shorter today...we'll blame the rain!

I've had these in the cart now for several days now, spec'd out. My goodness it's tempting. Might need to see what I can move around.

I've had these in the cart now for several days now, spec'd out. My goodness it's tempting. Might need to see what I can move around.

I say this wholeheartedly Tyler.

Do it.

You won't regret it.

Same here

7i continues to be my 170 club. Same hole as yesterday but slightly shorter today...we'll blame the rain!
Skimming here; I'm assuming that's a departure from what you were used to using before?

Skimming here; I'm assuming that's a departure from what you were used to using before?
Yes. I'm a club longer with the XRP.

Yes. I'm a club longer with the XRP.
Ok. And now I'm looking at your WITB and laughing because I was thinking (and built on callaway.com last night) the same setup....6-A.

After hitting what were apparently 175-180 yard 7irons, I told my buddy, 'why would I even need anything higher than a 6 since my 4hy is my 200 club?'. ponderponderponderponderponderponderponderponderponderponderponder

Ok. And now I'm looking at your WITB and laughing because I was thinking (and built on callaway.com last night) the same setup....6-A.

After hitting what were apparently 175-180 yard 7irons, I told my buddy, 'why would I even need anything higher than a 6 since my 4hy is my 200 club?'. ponderponderponderponderponderponderponderponderponderponderponder
Hahah. My gapping is around 155 8i, 165 7i, 175 6i. I just bought an XR 5i to fill the gap between 6i and 4h. I had a 5h but was carrying it the same at the 6i.

Do you like the xr pro better than the j15?

I nearly managed my first hole in one with the XR Pro irons last night. 5 iron 185 into a bit of wind, I hit about a 5 yard draw that stopped and even had a bit of backspin on it.

The XR Pro irons aren't just about maximum distance for me, they are about closing the distance gap despite reduced swing quality. With a player iron, the distance losses are going to be punishing, and sure, that number is still weaker with the XR Pros, but the gap is improved notably. I can 'skank' out a 170 yard 7 iron with the XR Pro, with the same junky swing producing a much shorter short with a less-than-forgiving CB iron.

This set seems perfect for the guy trying to move from pure GI into a nearly player set without the loss of distance. It's also perfect for the guy who loves to game a player iron but can't stand the bulk of a GI or SGI, and still wants to work the ball.

Finally, the sound. I'll agree that it's just not the same as a player iron, but we're in a new era. It's a bit muted in comparison, but I'd still argue that when I hit it on the button I'm thinking "man that sounded good... I hit that well." What else could you ask for?

I nearly managed my first hole in one with the XR Pro irons last night. 5 iron 185 into a bit of wind, I hit about a 5 yard draw that stopped and even had a bit of backspin on it.

The XR Pro irons aren't just about maximum distance for me, they are about closing the distance gap despite reduced swing quality. With a player iron, the distance losses are going to be punishing, and sure, that number is still weaker with the XR Pros, but the gap is improved notably. I can 'skank' out a 170 yard 7 iron with the XR Pro, with the same junky swing producing a much shorter short with a less-than-forgiving CB iron.

This set seems perfect for the guy trying to move from pure GI into a nearly player set without the loss of distance. It's also perfect for the guy who loves to game a player iron but can't stand the bulk of a GI or SGI, and still wants to work the ball.

Finally, the sound. I'll agree that it's just not the same as a player iron, but we're in a new era. It's a bit muted in comparison, but I'd still argue that when I hit it on the button I'm thinking "man that sounded good... I hit that well." What else could you ask for?

What ^ said.

Do you like the xr pro better than the j15?

I really don't have a base line with either to compare yet. Only 6 rounds in with the J15 and 1 below freezing demo day with the XR Pros. But all the feedback here has the iron junkie in me wanting to dabble!

My irons came in today. Of course it's 41* right now and I am tied up on jobsites for the next three weeks.

I need to offload a few more "closet dwelling" clubs and then I'll be getting a set of my own. PGA SS guys are probably tired of me hitting them in their bays for an hour at a time.

I need to offload a few more "closet dwelling" clubs and then I'll be getting a set of my own. PGA SS guys are probably tired of me hitting them in their bays for an hour at a time.
Me too, do you go the Chandler one?

What clubs are you looking to unload?

Had my custom today, my eyes were set on the XR, but testing and hitting some shots it came naturally to go for XR pro. Great distance dispersion and felt easy and lovely to hit. Can't wait to get them!

So I went and hit these today. Let's just say that I think I know a set will be finding a home with me. My goodness, they were, as James would say, silly good for me. As long as some pure distance irons and accurate as player irons, super impressed.

So I went and hit these today. Let's just say that I think I know a set will be finding a home with me. My goodness, they were, as James would say, silly good for me. As long as some pure distance irons and accurate as player irons, super impressed.
Yawn....just do it...click submit

It will be done after the semester is over. Using it as motivation..
Well done.

I wanna hit the non pros just to see what the hoopla is about

Back