How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Yea that's called soft stepping and your approximation is about right. Really, the net affect is a little softer tip end. I do the same thing quite a bit when I'm working with pulls that aren't long enough.

Thanks Hawk! My wife is gonna kill me for starting to this but it will be a fun adventure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to build like crazy during the winter. Great way to pass the winter months away.

I think I need help.. I am trying to pull my tour v shafts from my apex heads, and I cand do it, I am using my heat gun, for about 10 minutes now, the head is very hot, my gloves are melting when I try to touch the hosel, but nothing will move, now I am scared I will damage my heads... any suggestion?

I think I need help.. I am trying to pull my tour v shafts from my apex heads, and I cand do it, I am using my heat gun, for about 10 minutes now, the head is very hot, my gloves are melting when I try to touch the hosel, but nothing will move, now I am scared I will damage my heads... any suggestion?

I had the same issue when trying to pull shafts from my Apex. I was using a heat gun as well. I had to end up using a torch. Once I used the torch I was able to pull the shafts in seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Place the head of the iron under your foot so you're standing on the face. Not heavy mind you but enough so it will stay in place as you twist the shaft. Also make sure you're applying even heat all around the hosel

I recently switched some shafts on my 588tts, and I had trouble until I started heating all round the hosel. Good luck Martin. Look forward to hearing about your build.

thanks for the help guys, but its been over an hour now, and it did not move... I am now stuck with a 9 iron with no ferrule, all dirty from melted glove residues, still with an "old" shaft on it... I will go buy a torch tomorrow and try again.

thanks for the help guys, but its been over an hour now, and it did not move... I am now stuck with a 9 iron with no ferrule, all dirty from melted glove residues, still with an "old" shaft on it... I will go buy a torch tomorrow and try again.
Make sure you check for tip weights that stay in the hosel when you are done. I did a set recently that they stay in and I had to drill them out, it sucked majorly. Only clubs I hate working on more than the Apex are old Callaway Bore-through.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432534838.374167.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1432534854.642459.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1432534918.406716.jpg
First graphite reshaft a I have done. Really happy with the end result. Love the looks and the feel is amazing. And being able to switch to the blue ferrules, well that was just a bonus.

I have another question for you guys, I failed to pull a shaft yesterday night, it just wouldnt move. now I could have a game tonight, do you think I can game it or did I weaken it too much and I risk loosing the head on the next swing, or is it okay to play it?

I have another question for you guys, I failed to pull a shaft yesterday night, it just wouldnt move. now I could have a game tonight, do you think I can game it or did I weaken it too much and I risk loosing the head on the next swing, or is it okay to play it?
I don't advise playing with that club. I also advise you buy some leather garden gloves and be sure to heat the hosel for 5 min while rotating.

I don't advise playing with that club. I also advise you buy some leather garden gloves and be sure to heat the hosel for 5 min while rotating.

ok, I'll add that to the shopping list, maybe my heat gun isnt hot enough, because I heated it for over 30 minutes non stop while rotating.... and nothing

That is some serious epoxy, using the cheapo puller from GS I can heat with a Wagner heat gun for 3-5 minutes and have pulled both steel and graphite shafts with ease. Really having fun changing things in some old clubs, very good garage therapy.

Hawk,
Thanks so much for all this useful information. Tried reshafting an old slingshot OSS 2 iron while figuring out my Pings. It was a ton of fun, so instead of reshafting my G10 irons, I am thinking about doing a component set.

Any recommendations of something similar to a Ping I series or maybe an AP2. I know a lot of people like Malt y, but looking to do it on a budget.

Thanks!

I bought a torch and was able to reshaft half my irons in less than 20 minutes, that was a big difference from yesterday's attempt.

I will try a few rounds with Tour Vs on my 4-6-8-P and tour 90 on 9-7-5, a few rounds should be enough to decide which one is best for me.

I love the feeling of the tour Vs, but I feel like I could use more height in my iron shots so we'll see

Hawk,
Thanks so much for all this useful information. Tried reshafting an old slingshot OSS 2 iron while figuring out my Pings. It was a ton of fun, so instead of reshafting my G10 irons, I am thinking about doing a component set.

Any recommendations of something similar to a Ping I series or maybe an AP2. I know a lot of people like Malt y, but looking to do it on a budget.

Thanks!

I just don't have a ton of experience with component heads. I will say that Wishon 560MC's are nice irons. I've hit them and was pretty impressed with how they looked and felt.

However, I wouldn't limit myself if you are open to buying used. There are tons of head only iron sets on ebay.

its done, yesterday I installed the rest of the tour 90 shafts in my irons, the tour Vs will be heading to the marketpalce soon

When using standard (non quick dry) epoxy, what's the minimum you would wait? 18 hours sufficient?

Sorry man, I've never used it. I'm sure there are people here that will chime in though.

I think I have destroyed my 7 iron shaft while reshafting, it appears to be slightly bent (or maybe it was already liek that when I cought them, I dont know.)

I still have a 3 iron shaft, can I trim it to a 7 iron lenght and put it in my 7 iron head or will it be different? should I tip trip or butt trim?

No, you should buy a 7 iron shaft.

Well, maybe you can work with it if it's a .370 tip, but I can't really give you any advice there. I'm not totally sure.

Well, maybe you can work with it if it's a .370 tip, but I can't really give you any advice there. I'm not totally sure.

sadly its a .355

the other option is to go back with the tour V's

You can get a Tour 90 shaft for $20 on ebay I bet. Though I know the border thing can make things difficult.

Back