Hovering at address

SoGaDawg

Reaction score
Handicap
14ish
I recently started hovering my clubs slightly at address after I read how Jack Nicklaus did this. My ball striking has greatly improved after I got used to this.

Who else does this and have you found it improved your game?

I do that with my driver. It has helped a lot. Maybe, try it at my next range session, with the irons.

It messes me up bad to start my backswing and stubb some thick grass.

Usually, I have to take another practice swing, and start over.

Jack

I do this with driver and 3w off the tee. For other clubs, I try to make sure that I'm still holding up the club even if it's touching the ground.

I've tried this off and on. I always tense up. it goes poorly.

I do this with the driver when I want to hit a fade, or at least a slight push that doesn't draw. Don't know why it helps me hit a shot that is very tough for me, but it seems to work more times then not.

I do this with all of my clubs. I find that it helps me to have a smoother takeaway because the clubhead isnt hitting any of the turf and because my body is already holding the weight of the club.
If its good enough for the greatest golfer who has ever lived, its good enough for me.

I do this with my driver every time. If I see it on the ground and take away from there where I have set up. I deliver the club low and hit under the ball. If I hover and take away with the sweet spot lined up with the ball I get much better contact. I tried with my irons and alway seem to hit it thin.

My driver yes. Not my irons. I don't even like not grounding in bunkers.

I ground everything. I keep extremely loose at address, and hovering messes with that.

Had a talk with staicline about this today. He noticed that I hoover my clubs on the tee and my putter. I guess I learned it when I first started playing. I don't realize that I'm doing it.

Had a talk with staicline about this today. He noticed that I hoover my clubs on the tee and my putter. I guess I learned it when I first started playing. I don't realize that I'm doing it.

We discussed this last week as well. :)

Only the driver, other clubs I ground. I may try this though with the rest of my bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question for those that do this. How can you get the club in the same spot each time? Or do you not worry about that?

What is this supposed to help with?

I also find that if I have a "reaching" feeling with the hovered clubs at address, it helps to keep my swing on plane

I've tried it a few times and didn't like it at all. I feel much more relaxed before my shots by letting the club just rest on the ground.

Question for those that do this. How can you get the club in the same spot each time? Or do you not worry about that?

Hell, with my game it wouldn't matter. Each swing is a new and exciting adventure... I think they wrote a musical about it, "Into the Woods".

I hover my driver and woods when hitting off a tee. Don't do it with any other clubs. I've been doing it several seasons, not really sure why I started, maybe because I saw Matt Kuchar do it. I guess for teed balls with fairways, it gives me the feeling that I won't hit the ground before the ball.

I tried this for a couple of rounds and it worked really well. KellyBo saw this thread today and asked me why I stopped doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hover. It does nothing for me that I'm aware of and I don't know why I do it. It was mentioned in a recent lesson, but not as a good or bad thing. Just a mention.

I did for awhile to break a bad habit. A playing partner noticed that while I did my "Sergio regrip" I was actually starting my back swing before I had reestablished my grip causing the face angle to change as I started back. It was an instant fix but I never liked it and only did it long enough to break the habit.

I've tried this off and on. I always tense up. it goes poorly.

I'm the exact same...on any type of full swing anyway...I'm pretty consistent out of greenside bunkers since my contact target is bigger when hitting behind the ball... I never have trouble hitting behind a ball actually, and when I hover that's what ends up happening more often than not.

The only time I hover is when I'm in the rough--especially with fairway woods as this seems to help me from going under the ball and popping it up. I seems to help the irons to not have their face shut down as well from all the grass. YMMV.

I've been doing it for so long I don't remember not doing it. I guess it must have helped since I still do it some 40 years later.

I hover the driver and FW off the tee. It helps me maintain consistent muscle tension, along with encouraging a sweeping motion for that swing.

Regarding JB's ?... I hover with the ball just inside the center of the face. For those new to it, once the muscle memory kicks in, I don't think consistency would be an issue.

Back