The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Personally I just think Tiger needs more tournament reps.

Yes and so was Haney throughout golf.
I knew Haney worked with O'meara before Tiger. I just wasn't sure how big Hank's and Butch's celebrity was before they worked with Tiger.

Sooo, just for a mental exercise, say TW DID go back to Butch/Haney. How long would it realistically take to get his swing sorted?

I knew Haney worked with O'meara before Tiger. I just wasn't sure how big Hank's and Butch's celebrity was before they worked with Tiger.

I don't have the years, but he worked with Norman, Seve, Janzen, Faldo, Els, Tom Watson, Couples, Faldo. So he's had some high profile players. The Harmon family just has a rich history of instruction. I don't think either him or Haney would be considered celebrities during those times, but they were well known and respected in the industry. Also a different time media wise.

Has he really lost his ability or is it all mental? I can't believe he has forgotten how to play golf. I kinda think he is just self sabotaging right now.

I played on Friday and shot a lower score than Tiger did the same day.

I can quit golf now.
20 years from now, I'm looking forward to retelling that story as: "I beat Tiger in a round of golf back in the summer of '15"
Was it hard to get onto Muirfield Village on Friday of the Memorial?? How did the course look from the tips???

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Has he really lost his ability or is it all mental? I can't believe he has forgotten how to play golf. I kinda think he is just self sabotaging right now.

I'm going with mental. On the course and off.

He has so much natural talent. He should really only go to instructors (Butch) when something is off. His instructor should simply be asked to see where his swing is off and help correct it.

Where is that over/under if he makes the cut thread?????

so when does Joe get canned and bring back Stevie or some other caddie? seems about time to shake things up a little.....guess it's not Joe's fault for the bad chips, pitches, etc...

This guy is arguably the best to ever play the game.... I'm not going to pronounce him done until he announces his retirement... But I know 2 people who are as happy as can be that he is struggling (I mean outside of you guys in here) and that's john Feinstein and brandl chamblee... Cause they get to kick the dookie out of tiger every time he plays...and that seems to bring them so much joy...

Tapa-dapa-do...

Sooo, just for a mental exercise, say TW DID go back to Butch/Haney. How long would it realistically take to get his swing sorted?

That's a good question, he's got alot of good parts in his swing right now so I would suspect 6 mos or so would probably see results.

I don't think his swing is too far off. I just think he's having trouble bringing it from practice to tournament play. Time will tell, but right now I like the direction his swing is heading over the swing we saw under Foley.

Notah is removed because his head is so far up Tigers ass he knows what tiger is eating before tiger does.
Friends to tend defend their brothers. I'd defend any of my friends the same way. Not about being up his ass, but being a solid friend.
I want to amend this, I hope Tiger calls Freddie Kong.
I've reached out, we will see what happens. Don't hold your breath
Was Butch a renowned coach before Tiger?
Yes, butch was working with Norman, Floyd and other greats. He was in a group at Isleworth after TW wonder Junior world's at Bayhill. Been in his corner but not on pay roll.
They both got huge after TW but I'd say Haney cashed in more.
I'm gonna get on my soap box so just bare with me...

Today I pulled up Golf Channel's site to catch the headlines and amazingly it's all about Tiger - everywhere. In fact, he's mentioned in 14 different locations on their homepage even before you scroll down. David Lingmerth, well, he's mentioned twice in a brief sentence on the side of the page.

Is this really all that the media has to talk about? Tiger finished this past weekend dead last...again. He's literally having one of, if not the, worst year's of his career yet all the media attention seems to be directed at him.

As a golf fan, frankly, I'm sick of it. I grew up in the heart of the Tiger era. I remember watching him win his first Masters and he is what really got me excited about golf as a teenager. Needless to say, I'm a fan of the guy as a golfer (not necessarily of his personal choices), but there are so many other storylines that the media could be focusing on but they just aren't.

Johnny Miller or Brandel Chamblee sitting in their chair talking about how they could fix Tiger's swing is like Bobby Knight saying he could fix Lebron James jump shot. Ok, maybe not the best analogy, but you get the point.

My personal feeling is that if Tiger goes out and shoots an 85 it deserves a brief footnote. If he finishes dead last then maybe there's a brief article about it. I want to know about what's going on TODAY in this era of golf. We have some of the finest young talents of all time playing out of their minds yet the media is clinging to the coattails of yesteryear hoping that Tiger somehow pulls out this miraculous major victory.

I know what you mean but the guy who one will never over shadow the downfall of the 2nd best golfer ever

I'm gonna get on my soap box so just bare with me...

Today I pulled up Golf Channel's site to catch the headlines and amazingly it's all about Tiger - everywhere. In fact, he's mentioned in 14 different locations on their homepage even before you scroll down. David Lingmerth, well, he's mentioned twice in a brief sentence on the side of the page.

Is this really all that the media has to talk about? Tiger finished this past weekend dead last...again. He's literally having one of, if not the, worst year's of his career yet all the media attention seems to be directed at him.

As a golf fan, frankly, I'm sick of it. I grew up in the heart of the Tiger era. I remember watching him win his first Masters and he is what really got me excited about golf as a teenager. Needless to say, I'm a fan of the guy as a golfer (not necessarily of his personal choices), but there are so many other storylines that the media could be focusing on but they just aren't.

Johnny Miller or Brandel Chamblee sitting in their chair talking about how they could fix Tiger's swing is like Bobby Knight saying he could fix Lebron James jump shot. Ok, maybe not the best analogy, but you get the point.

My personal feeling is that if Tiger goes out and shoots an 85 it deserves a brief footnote. If he finishes dead last then maybe there's a brief article about it. I want to know about what's going on TODAY in this era of golf. We have some of the finest young talents of all time playing out of their minds yet the media is clinging to the coattails of yesteryear hoping that Tiger somehow pulls out this miraculous major victory.

My dad had to leave right before the soapbox playoff. Later he watched several different sports news programs trying to see who won, and in everyone he watched they different discuss the winner, just Tiger.

Friends to tend defend their brothers. I'd defend any of my friends the same way. Not about being up his ass, but being a solid friend.

I've reached out, we will see what happens. Don't hold your breath

Yes, butch was working with Norman, Floyd and other greats. He was in a group at Isleworth after TW wonder Junior world's at Bayhill. Been in his corner but not on pay roll.

They both got huge after TW but I'd say Haney cashed in more.

I know what you mean but the guy who one will never over shadow the downfall of the 2nd best golfer ever
But that's not his job, his job is to provide fair and unbiased commentating.

My dad had to leave right before the soapbox playoff. Later he watched several different sports news programs trying to see who won, and in everyone he watched they different discuss the winner, just Tiger.

I didn't see what he said so I can't comment. All I know is that the GC has never displayed this in regards to TW. Only Brandel has stood up to the big red machine that is TW

I didn't see what he said so I can't comment. All I know is that the GC has never displayed this in regards to TW. Only Brandel has stood up to the big red machine that is TW
I didn't either, and I've never had any issue with Notah, he makes interesting points more often than not. But just pointing out that being buddies wouldn't excuse any possible ass kissing.

I didn't either, and I've never had any issue with Notah, he makes interesting points more often than not. But just pointing out that being buddies wouldn't excuse any possible ass kissing.
I agree no excuse but sometime it's hard to walk that line.

I agree no excuse but sometime it's hard to walk that line.
Agree with that, it'd be tough to watch a buddy struggle that badly, and then beat him down further.

This may be a question for blugold or someone who understands strength training. Tigers body has changed a lot since we first heard of him and I think even when he was in his prime. Did he get too big or lose flexibility that kept him from making the Haney swing? I wonder sometimes if he should just look at Tiger video or maybe read his own book. He hit it far enough way back them.

Last edited:
Bulked up and lost his fast twitch muscles? Makes sense.

This may be a question for blugold or someone who understands strength training. Tigers body has changed a lot since we first heard of him and I think even when he was in his prime. Did he get too big or lose flexibility that kept him from making the Haney swing? I wonder sometimes if he should just look at Tiger video or maybe read his own book. He hit it far enough way back them.

Its funny you mention that he hit it far enough then. While reading the Haney book, he talks about how TW was always obsessed with getting more distance. It usually meant that he veered off track of their plan for the swing and that Hank would have to guide him back to the plan.

Just as a note, the commentary is not always expected to be unbiased. If the producer of the event is trying to tell a tiger woods storyline he/she would ask Notah to be the "insider". It's not always safe to assume that analyst commentary is always down the middle nor is it fair to put it on Notah alone. I would say that his insight on the game alone while walking the course is impressive and he does a great job communicating to the viewer.

Tiger will be the storyline until he retires, it just simply is that way. Tiger brings viewers, the ratings prove it. So even when he isn't winning he is used to drive numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was watching the tournament last weekend they asked Jack this same question because he had a phase around the same age Tiger is now where he lost his game. He said he went back to his swing coach and started from scratch, literally from the beginning starting with grip, stance and posture. He said it took about 4-6 months and then he was back to his old form and won 2 majors that year.

When I was watching the tournament last weekend they asked Jack this same question because he had a phase around the same age Tiger is now where he lost his game. He said he went back to his swing coach and started from scratch, literally from the beginning starting with grip, stance and posture. He said it took about 4-6 months and then he was back to his old form and won 2 majors that year.

not sure who that teacher is, but that is a tough one for Tiger, seems like most of his teaching relationships ended badly. He would have to swallow some pride & admit he needs them & I don't see that happening

Back