Driving Distance Survey

What about physically playing golf on Mike Ditka?

It depends if he ate at his own restaurant the day before or not. A mustache can be a pretty tight lie.

1. What is your average driving distance? 215
2. How old are you? 56
3. How much do you currently weigh? 260
4. What is your height? 6'5"
5. How many times a YEAR do you regularly play golf? 10'ish
6. In addition to playing, how many times a MONTH do you hit the driving range? 1-2

No...The part about skidding is just not accurate in any way shape or form. And damp grass is not just because of morning dew or on a foggy day.

Play golf in the south for a bit and see what happens to a golf ball in terms of carry vs roll compared to elsewhere and why that happens.

Travelling and playing in FL/etc is why I stopped being OK with lower and running like I know I can get away with here in this part of the US. Carry travels, low liners do not, and we have seen is oh so many times at THP events when a 250+ guy suddenly can't hit it over 210.

Travelling and playing in FL/etc is why I stopped being OK with lower and running like I know I can get away with here in this part of the US. Carry travels, low liners do not, and we have seen is oh so many times at THP events when a 250+ guy suddenly can't hit it over 210.

It sucks. The ball goes nowhere down here

It sucks. The ball goes nowhere down here

I really need to travel and play more. I remember when they were letting the grass die at Buckhorn and the fairways were hard and fast. It was awesome, 300 yard drives all day.

I really need to travel and play more. I remember when they were letting the grass die at Buckhorn and the fairways were hard and fast. It was awesome, 300 yard drives all day.

I get a little confused when it happens. What do you mean it ran out? What? That's not possible.

1. What is your average driving distance? I think 250
2. How old are you? 26
3. How much do you currently weigh? 140
4. What is your height? 5'10
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 0.25
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 0.25

Hoping to start getting out more often when works slows down a bit.

I get a little confused when it happens. What do you mean it ran out? What? That's not possible.

I played a course today that had completely dried out. It was amazing. At least for drives. Hitting off of dust with irons was terrible.

1. What is your average driving distance? I don't know exactly, but I know that if the carry over a hazard is 260, I'm laying up. Not that I can't make it sometimes, but definitely not every time.
2. How old are you? 34
3. How much do you currently weigh? 165
4. What is your height? 6'
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 1-2
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 0

No...The part about skidding is just not accurate in any way shape or form. And damp grass is not just because of morning dew or on a foggy day.

Play golf in the south for a bit and see what happens to a golf ball in terms of carry vs roll compared to elsewhere and why that happens.

That's interesting to know. I did say I was just winging it because you had my wheels turning in thought :)

But I would ask, is the thinner humid air more a positive than the damp grass is a negative? I guess that would perhaps depend on a few things like ones trajectory as well as just how humid the air vs how wet the grass. But being you mentioned it, I assume it must be that the dampness is usually more of a negative or you wouldn't have mentioned it from experience in the first place. So now I am answering my own questions :l

No...

and this ^^ is why we only scheduled our FL missions (cough ... golf trips) during the winter. Might not get much roll out, but you do get more than snow gives ya.

Last edited:
I played a course today that had completely dried out. It was amazing. At least for drives. Hitting off of dust with irons was terrible.

Those are fun too for irons, you better be really crisp with your shots haha

1. What is your average driving distance? I don't know exactly, but I know that if the carry over a hazard is 260, I'm laying up. Not that I can't make it sometimes, but definitely not every time.
2. How old are you? 34
3. How much do you currently weigh? 165
4. What is your height? 6'
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 1-2
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 0

Honest question. With that weight, the hair has to be like about 10% right?

Honest question. With that weight, the hair has to be like about 10% right?

I want to know what skin care regimen he is on or is it the Montana air. If I had guessed his age at The King I would have said 23.

1. What is your average driving distance? 260
2. How old are you? 37
3. How much do you currently weigh? 240
4. What is your height? 5'7"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? Once
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? Once

Is it bad that I'm not even seeing distances but only a / h / w? I feel like aol instant messenger again

That's interesting to know. I did say I was just winging it because you had my wheels turning in thought :)

But I would ask, is the thinner humid air more a positive than the damp grass is a negative? I guess that would perhaps depend on a few things like ones trajectory as well as just how humid the air vs how wet the grass. But being you mentioned it, I assume it must be that the dampness is usually more of a negative or you wouldn't have mentioned it from experience in the first place. So now I am answering my own questions :l

I can guarantee I'll lose distance if I go down to Florida. It's not the 20% some people claim but I lost on average around 5-10% on drives but nothing on irons.

1. What is your average driving distance? 260 total, 240 carry.
2. How old are you? 32
3. How much do you currently weigh? 190
4. What is your height? 5'9"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 5-7
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? Never/rarely

We played today and we were actually just talking about people like me that come from the north east and play golf down here and think they suck when they get here cause they don't hit what they used to. We were looking at some of our drives that finished about 2 feet from where they landed. Florida is all about the carry.

1. 290
2. 37
3. 170
4. 5'10"
5. 1 round per 2 weeks
6. 1 range time per week

1. What is your average driving distance? 230 or so
2. How old are you? 54
3. How much do you currently weigh? 170
4. What is your height? 5'6"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? o.5 (every other week)
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 1

fwiw humid air is known for further travel because its actually thinner air, not thicker and therefore the ball meets less friction flying through it. Unless of course your talking about a foggy drizzle or rain where the ball is meeting rain drops adding friction and picking up water droplets therefore making it heavy too.

The term "humid air feeling thick" is often used by most of us but its really an illusion because it has less oxygen and it only creates a false impression of being thick because its more difficult to breathe it and also because our sweat stays on our skin without evaporating. But it is indeed actually thinner air and allows the ball to fly further.

I must admit, I have no scientific validation on the effects of humidity on the drive. I'm just assuming the drives go less because the water vapor just hangs in the air instead of becoming clouds, usually when it's about to rain. Sweat doesn't drip down, it just coats around the body like Vaseline. My drives seem to go shorter on those days compared to hot summer days.

I don't want to quote the post but will say something about the "deduct 20%" because of altitude.

My personal findings say it isn't all that true. At most, I lost 5-10% when playing at sea level but still hit my 3 deep over 300y in Florida. Plenty on here to back that up.

I've also played multiple rounds with EvF (who added in the altitude part) and know he hits it well over the supposed 240y for altitude compensation.

Just my thoughts after having played at altitude and sea level.

Noted. I just grabbed the altitude compensation over the Internet. I haven't had enough experience myself with changes in altitude.

Back