Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Tempo. It's a little lighter than my previous setup. If I still go at it hard its still a big old miss left with a hook.

10-4. Thought I might have missed a shaft change or adjustment. Glad it's working out!

Tempo. It's a little lighter than my previous setup. If I still go at it hard its still a big old miss left with a hook.

So if the tempo is ultra quick then not much the old sliding weights can do to bail ya out huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if the tempo is ultra quick then not much the old sliding weights can do to bail ya out huh?

Not for me, believe me it's just about 1 click away from fade.

Got to hit this today with my Dad at Golf Galaxy. The monitor wasn't working properly (according to the employee) so numbers were tough to trust. The few I really connected with were right there with my Alpha and that was without my current shaft. I know that my current shaft may not be the best in this head but I couldn't stand the Kuro Kage. I've never liked that shaft though in anything. Really hoping to take a demo head out to the range or even course. I think I could get dialed in pretty quick.

On another topic, anyone have any recommendations for a shaft for a 90-93mph swing that needs a little more launch and spin? My dad liked the Kuro Kage more than the PX LZ but didn't love it.

We were very limited on shafts that's why he tried only two.

Took about 15 swings with Thomson the range today. Only 1/2 were good shots and carried about where they were when I demo'd it. Other than two big slices the miss were only 5 yds or so offline. Most if my misses were heel side and they lost about 10 yds of carry(no hard data, using where the landed compared to my good ones). Will have it on the course, but think it will only see a few holes.

I was just thinking about that the other day. Changing the club based on course conditions. In AZ I want low but here in WA I need carry.

That's the beauty of these drivers. You can move them 3* total and if you have two shafts, just swap for a higher/lower one depending on the course conditions. If I get a new GBB or DBD, I'll get a higher spinning shaft to go with my Oban as to have options.

This one may or may not be on the way to me.

What shaft did you end up with?

Project X LZ Blue... I already have a Diamana Blue S+, Aldila Rogue & Grandura. I was tempted to go White Tie bc I adore that shaft, but with all the talk about the Handcrafted I'm giving it a run.

I hit this on 5 holes today. My swing with driver was just a little off but this driver didn't let me down. My misses were just off the fairway. Mishits were as long as the fly z+ on good shots. On good shots is about 10-15 yds past where the good shots with fly z+. I am extremely happy with this driver

Played this on 12 holes today and hit 9 fairways and was getting some really good distance. More importantly was that my swing was a bit off and while I was squaring the club head, I was finding the heel side of the driver (probably a half inch from center) and with virtually no penalty of carry distance.

Played this on 12 holes today and hit 9 fairways and was getting some really good distance. More importantly was that my swing was a bit off and while I was squaring the club head, I was finding the heel side of the driver (probably a half inch from center) and with virtually no penalty of carry distance.
Tough to beat that kind of forgiveness on the "off days "

Tough to beat that kind of forgiveness on the "off days "

It was weird because my miss is normally not too much lateral, and if it is its towards the toe. Today was a tired round of golf, but the heel side miss was literally not penal at all. I found myself craving the sound more and more. While I prefer the glossy crown, the matte did not bother me too much surprisingly, even though it drizzled a bit on the front nine.

On another topic, anyone have any recommendations for a shaft for a 90-93mph swing that needs a little more launch and spin? My dad liked the Kuro Kage more than the PX LZ but didn't love it.

We were very limited on shafts that's why he tried only two.

Same exact swing speed as your Dad.
I had the chance to demo the GBB 10.5 with Speeder 565 S on the course. Set to neutral loft and draw with the sliding weight a hair towards the draw side. Nice high flight with a baby draw. 215-245 normal depending on slope and firmness of the FW.
Really enjoyed it.

I tried the same setup in the store against my G30 SF Tec 10* set to 11* with Tour 65 R flex.

Both were around 15* launch and mid 2k spin. Also tried the KK S flex and it was 2100
Spin but side spin was greater and thus worse dispersion. The Diamana S+ S was too much shaft for me.

Play R flex in all my other clubs but in driver I prefer a tweener R/S flex shaft. The Speeder 565 S seems to fit the bill. Give it a whirl. If it seems too firm try the Speeder 565 R.

Two of my playing partners in the scramble tourney I played in today will be getting one. Soon.

As for me, I have no problem saying it is truly the best driver I have ever put into play. Some will scoff, some will think its bias, whatever, I'm tired of concerning myself with that crap and not saying what I truly believe about this club on a personal level, and I have never tested anything like this driver before.

Same exact swing speed as your Dad.
I had the chance to demo the GBB 10.5 with Speeder 565 S on the course. Set to neutral loft and draw with the sliding weight a hair towards the draw side. Nice high flight with a baby draw. 215-245 normal depending on slope and firmness of the FW.
Really enjoyed it.

I tried the same setup in the store against my G30 SF Tec 10* set to 11* with Tour 65 R flex.

Both were around 15* launch and mid 2k spin. Also tried the KK S flex and it was 2100
Spin but side spin was greater and thus worse dispersion. The Diamana S+ S was too much shaft for me.

Play R flex in all my other clubs but in driver I prefer a tweener R/S flex shaft. The Speeder 565 S seems to fit the bill. Give it a whirl. If it seems too firm try the Speeder 565 R.

We got on a working monitor at a different store today. They had the Project X LZ in regular and the stock V Series Bassara shaft to try. The LZ in Regular was better than the stiff but I think the Bassara was far better for him. He picked up club head speed and distance.

We'll be getting a demo head a couple shafts and going to the range to fine tune everything. I'll look for the Speeder as well

We got on a working monitor at a different store today. They had the Project X LZ in regular and the stock V Series Bassara shaft to try. The LZ in Regular was better than the stiff but I think the Bassara was far better for him. He picked up club head speed and distance.

We'll be getting a demo head a couple shafts and going to the range to fine tune everything. I'll look for the Speeder as well

How was dispersion though with the Bassara? Usually I'm a mess with sub 55g shafts.

Two of my playing partners in the scramble tourney I played in today will be getting one. Soon.

As for me, I have no problem saying it is truly the best driver I have ever put into play. Some will scoff, some will think its bias, whatever, I'm tired of concerning myself with that crap and not saying what I truly believe about this club on a personal level, and I have never tested anything like this driver before.

the more I hit this the more I echo this. Even with some bad swings today the penalty wasn't too harsh. We were talking about some holes and one the one guy in our weekend group was shocked at some of the distance I had left on holes with a bad swing and even more so with the good ones. Probably the most confident i have been with a driver.

On the GT LM, my mishits were still in playable and actually longer then my current gamer. I am excited to test these out again,but 2 times in a row I am blown out of the water by these. I average 240-250 carry with my 3 wood. These mishits were going around 263 rolling out to 270 range. That says so much to me,leave no yard behind is echoed from this club. I am in serious ponder mode.....might even add just the 3 wood if I cannot game the driver.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

How was dispersion though with the Bassara? Usually I'm a mess with sub 55g shafts.

Not as good as the PX LZ but he also admitted he was getting tired and lazy.

The range will determine what shaft he'll get. I only believe monitors so much. Real life results are where it counts IMO

Great review Jman! The time you put into this one is great with some very good information. I will find out tomorrow if there is anything for me to be gained over my XR driver.

Not as good as the PX LZ but he also admitted he was getting tired and lazy.

The range will determine what shaft he'll get. I only believe monitors so much. Real life results are where it counts IMO

Can't blame you there.
Only reason I bought my g30 was after I saw what it did on the range.
Let us know which shaft he chooses and the numbers compared to the others. I'll try and hit the same combos he tries.

I finally got a chance to sit down and read the full review. Excellent feedback. I cannot wait to hit one. A co worker is thinking about getting one as well. Sounds like the Big Bertha name was not used in vein!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

So I finally hit the Great Big Bertha today at GolfTown. There were two in the demo bag, so i went with those. Regular flex 10.5 with kuro kage, and 9.0 with the speeder in stiff.

Love the look. Love the sound even more. The way it looks at setup, just wow.

Now then.... my numbers, as embarassing as they are eye opening. Swing speed is honestly slower than I had always thought I was (thinking i was in the 94-97 range).

e64b2a24086ebb7e2836473dfb76abb6.jpg

The first five are the regular shaft, remainder stiff. The salesman of course was "oh, your launch and spin numbers look great". Ummmm I really dont think thats right.

Really hoping for a chance to actually get a real fitting, to see what I could actually get out of it.

This has really opened my eyes regarding the clubs i play now. I play stiff in everything mainly because it was helping me keep things straight. Now I am thinking i might be leaving yards behind because of it. I really wish I could do a complete fitting and splurge on a custom fit set, I just honestly don't see it in my near future.

Swing speed is honestly slower than I had always thought I was (thinking i was in the 94-97 range).

Your swing speed is about the same as mine and I use A flex shafts in everything.

Back