Electric Bill Average

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
I don't know if there has been a previous thread about this, so here goes.

My electric bill for the month of July was $245.00. Now KellyBo had our house insulated very well when it was in the construction stage. I used to freak out when the high summer/winter months came along. One of our neighbors around the block just happen to mention his bill during the hotter/colder months and their's was $400.00 plus! I don't b*tch as much now.... Our house is 2000 plus square feet & two story.

I am curious what the rates average around the country during this peak season?

It would all depend on how big your house is, how well it's insulated, etc. I'll look for my bills and see. I have to separate mine out because our electricity, water and trash are all on the same bill! Mine has gone down a LOT since we put in the new Central Air Unit and Thermal windows in when we remodeled in the summer of 2007.

Right now we are over $400 per month. Last month was closer to $500 than $400. We are 2981 sq feet and one story. We have EXTREMELY high ceilings throughout the house. We also have a pool that runs each day. Our unit is a 5 ton Trane that works great, but this house is EXPENSIVE to cool.

Right now we are over $400 per month. Last month was closer to $500 than $400. We are 2981 sq feet and one story. We have EXTREMELY high ceilings throughout the house. We also have a pool that runs each day. Our unit is a 5 ton Trane that works great, but this house is EXPENSIVE to cool.

WOW! I would be freaking out seeing that in the mail box.....

mine's a lot cheaper than all of you guys. i did all the renovations to our home: reframed with 2X6's as to provide more insulation, put in double paned enviro-controlled windows, and put in a central heating and air unit that runs off of natural gas. the natural gas is so much cheaper to run off of and i got a nice tax break to install the unit itself. my electric bill on avg runs me around $75 per month. next step for me will be re-roofing and installing solar panels. i ahve a friend that has solar panels on one side of a gable roof and they get a check from progress energy every month, and pay ZERO dollars for electricity. it can be costly to have installed, but you can save a ton of money if you do the installation yourself, and you get a serious tax break (almost recoup your money) at the end of the year.

I think the highest bill we've seen in the summer was around 150.00. It's much more expensive for me to heat the house than cool it. I have a bunch of big trees that keep shade over it in the summer, so that helps.

Our utility bill includes electric, gas, water, and sewar. I've never really looked at the totals for each, but our total bill averages about $250 a month probably. During the peak summer (electric) and winter (gas), it can get up into the mid to upper 300's, but I don't think we have ever been over $400, at least I don't remember it. In the spring and fall when neither the a/c or heater is running much we will be under $200.

Our house is a little over 2000 sq ft with 3 levels (one on top of the other, w/one to the side). We have 2 adults and 3 kids so there are always a lot of things 'on': washer/dryer, showers, dishwasher (once a day at least), TV, computers, etc.

There he goes talking about the electric bill again.:bicker:

A woman in her 50's needs cold air! :D

Our house is about 2500 sq feet and we have 2 separate units, one of which we only operate when company is staying upstairs. When we constructed our house, I made sure we had good insulation and energy star appliances. We even have an inline hot water heater.

Our average monthly payment is $155 according to the budget billing they offer. I think we are well below average for a total electric house.

How many of you actually keep your thermostat set on 78 when it is in the 90's and 100's out there??????

How many of you actually keep your thermostat set on 78 when it is in the 90's and 100's out there??????
Actually, I do! If 78 is comfortable for you normally, setting it lower doesn't make it colder any quicker, it just makes it colder!

One thing I was told many years ago was once you turn the air on, keep it on and the windows closed or you will just have to suck all the humidity out again. Easier to keep it cool and dry than to cool it and get all the moisture out of everything again. When you get days that it's cooler than you keep it inside and the humidity is low, that's one thing, but make sure you close the windows back up before the heat and humidity come back or you'll be starting all over and making the air conditioner work harder and use more electricity.

Peak Summer July to September $400-$450
Hot months, May-June, October-November $300
The cool months <$200

Two story, 3,000 SF with a pool. The pool is about $70 per month.

This is for electric only, gas runs $60 per month (water heater, gas heater, gas dryer), I can easily double the gas bill if we heat the pool in Jan-Feb.

And don't forget to keep the unit outside clean. Cottonwood trees, dandelions, etc., all clog it up and make it work harder and less effective.

I skip town during the peak months so my bill is a big ol' goose egg ($0). When I'm back in civilization, the rentals normally run me around $100.

gas/electric is bundled in my area, it'll run near $80
of course my place is less than 1200 ft2 in CA

I'm paying around $300-350 a month so far this summer. My thermostat is on 78 during the day and 74 at night.

What are you guys/gals paying per kw/hr? My rate is 11c/kw. House is 3400sqft, one bedroom upstairs and a money eating pool.

I think mine was around 350.00. I have some other properties and cut them one check. I spend around $500 per month at each Monkey Disco store. We leave the door open and run the air full blast. I am trying to do my part and fight global warming, but the a/c only cools about 2 feet out the door. I cant do it alone people!

I think mine was around 350.00. I have some other properties and cut them one check. I spend around $500 per month at each Monkey Disco store. We leave the door open and run the air full blast. I am trying to do my part and fight global warming, but the a/c only cools about 2 feet out the door. I cant do it alone people!

lmao.. Dude you cooling the great outdoors too! LOL .. You got money to burn er I mean to cool :eek:).....

There he goes talking about the electric bill again.:bicker:

A woman in her 50's needs cold air! :D

Our house is about 2500 sq feet and we have 2 separate units, one of which we only operate when company is staying upstairs. When we constructed our house, I made sure we had good insulation and energy star appliances. We even have an inline hot water heater.

Our average monthly payment is $155 according to the budget billing they offer. I think we are well below average for a total electric house.

KellyBo -- We need ol Calloway to run down to Georgia and put one of those doo Hickey's on our roof! He pays zero and some compaines are paying him .. hmmmm, I like that.

My bill is $285-$325 per month. We have 2400 finished square feet and 3 kids that don't know how to close a door. I've tried beating them but it doesn't work! I just put in a new heating and air unit by Trane two years ago, supposed to be high efficiency but I'm not seeing it. The city of Danville is paying a middle man for their power due to idiots running the city and everyone is getting hammered with high utility costs right now.

ABout 75 a month. 1200 square foot cabin. 25 foot ceilings. Dont know why so cheap.

During peak months here May-September to cool down the house is about $300-$400 a month. It gets cheaper the colder it gets here. I have a 2 story 3500 sq ft plus a pool (just to run the pump since we have solar to heat) and high ceilings. Not to mention all the electronic toys I have it can get pricey. I might have to bribe TC to come down here to install solar panels and solar powered attic fans with me so I can contribute to the grid instead of sapping off it. Oh and I have the thermostat at 79* all the time.

It's funny to read the responses from the lower states and how much higher their costs are in the summer rather than in the winter..

For me up in Ohio, we pay anywhere from 100-200 in the summers, and we peak at 350 in the winter.

It's funny to read the responses from the lower states and how much higher their costs are in the summer rather than in the winter..

For me up in Ohio, we pay anywhere from 100-200 in the summers, and we peak at 350 in the winter.

Yeah when we were living in NJ it was the opposite as well. High bills in the winter and low bills during the fall and spring.

Price here is around .09/kwh during peak months. It is low in comparison to many other areas.

In the hottest months I pay around 190 bucks. But in spring or fall months my bill never gets over 100. I have a 1800 sq ft house so its not too big to keep cool. The winter is brutal if its real cold because I can get in the 350 to 400 range with electric heat. Electric heat is clean and it really makes it hot inside but my next purchase will be a heat pump if my a/c ever goes out to save some money. I bought a set of gas logs that really helps on the power bill if its real cold but NC usually has mild winters but last year killed us.

Wow, I cant believe the $$ amount for some of you. We have a 2 year old house, ranch, 1650 sq ft, in the high desert. We have a scheduled thermostat, but at night have it at 70. We pay about $90-135 in the summer months, and less than $20 in the winter.

Back