Brats...the food not the kids down the street

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
One of my favorite foods now.

5 brats
10 minutes in the skillet cooked in a beer and mustard mix.
Then, 15-20 minutes on grill to get them nice and crusty.

I prefer them on a slice of bread with lots of shredded cheese with mustard.

I'm sure the Wisconsin members here will yell 'sacrilege' at the above.

How does everyone here like/cook 'em?

I don't boil them as I think they get too dry. I just grill them naked on low heat until the juices run clear. Then on a bun with either kraut or a combo of ketchup/spicy mustard.

I Par Boil them in the oven at 350° for about 10 minutes, to almost cook them. Then put them on the grill to make them look good!

I much prefer Italian sausage though.

brats are my favorite. Me and a couple of buddies used to cook them every sunday afternoon at his house, on the grill. Wrap them in some bread with mustard and eat away. GOOD STUFF!!

Let me be the first Cheesehead to say WTF? (Just kidding)
Low and slow on a charcoal grill is the only way in my book.
Mustard is the only condiment allowed unless your under the age of 12.
A good roll is a must, not the wonder bread like 'hot dog' buns
EDIT: I have to say that boiling a brat is sacrilege in my book... turns it all mushy inside.

I can't wait to try Staticline's way lol. I usually skillet them too but with beer only.

What are brats?

My favorite are the cheddar-wurst. I boil mine in a good, dark beer and finish them on the charcoal grill. Usually throw them in a hogie stype bun that I toast on the grill and drizzle a little spicy brown mustard on top. Mmmmm... I know what I'll be making soon!

What are brats?

German sausage - bratwurst. Unless I'm mistaken.

At the Bier Halle in Glasgow, you get a free one for every 2-pint stein of draft beer you buy. That's the best way to have them! :D

Oh right, I've never heard them called brats before. Over here we don't really bother with them as we have proper sausages. :wink:

When I want to use buns I beer boil them on the grill side burner and then finish them on the grill. But if I'm going for some smothered knife and fork brat food I'll reverse the order and grill them first get some nice texture and then let them go in the beer for a while, they just soak up all that goodness. I'm already drooling, I love brats as well!

German sausage - bratwurst. Unless I'm mistaken.

At the Bier Halle in Glasgow, you get a free one for every 2-pint stein of draft beer you buy. That's the best way to have them! :D

Though this I could go for. Free sausages with beer!!

Seriously, I hate this thread.

*looks for brats in the vending machine*

Oh right, I've never heard them called brats before. Over here we don't really bother with them as we have proper sausages. :wink:

Thats what all the boys over there say. :D

My favorite are the cheddar-wurst. I boil mine in a good, dark beer and finish them on the charcoal grill. Usually throw them in a hogie stype bun that I toast on the grill and drizzle a little spicy brown mustard on top. Mmmmm... I know what I'll be making soon!

damn you! that sounds really good!

has to be dark beer....black and tans work wonders

We get our brats from the local butcher, along with smoked sausage, jalapeño sausage, venison sausage and made fresh in the shop hot dogs.

We boil the brats, then on the grill for a few minutes.

I have been putting the ol' rooster sauce on mine this year. clam likes his brauts spicy.

Monday's dinner was cooked in Shiner Bock Smokehouse beer and 3 generous tablespoons of yellow mustard.

Dos Equis Special Label (green bottle) is also cooked well.

I've used the Johnsonville and Bob Evans Beer Brats.

I did try the Italian Herb brat.....nasty. Wouldn't feed that to my dog.

Our grocery store sells all kinds of fresh brats. Regular, Beer, Jalepeno, Bacon and Cheese, Green Onion, and Pineapple. I love the Bacon and Cheese and the Pineapple is pretty good too.

Yah I definitely know what I'm making for dinner tonight. Now off I go to Central Market where they have the best selection of everything!!

Grill the brats naked like what Hawk does. A good bun is essential. Kraut, spicy mustard, beer, Imodium AD, lots of TP and matches.

Back