Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Give a detailed review. I hit it and liked it a lot. I had it between the G30 and M1 but that thing surprised me. What's everyone think about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!

Huge thread on the Great Big Bertha here, including a very nicely done homepage review from one of our great staff writers:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...allaway-Great-Big-Bertha-Driver-Review-Thread

I absolutely love mine. Best driver I've ever owned and it's the first driver to ever give me complete confidence on the tee.

Welcome to THP! Looks like your question has been answered. That's a great thread with every detail you can imagine

Give a detailed review. I hit it and liked it a lot. I had it between the G30 and M1 but that thing surprised me. What's everyone think about it?

definitely go check out the other threads. excellent information from golfers of all abilities.

i haven't hit the m1, but i've hit g30 and gbb. g30 was a quick pass for me. although straight, it was short and had the terrible feeling i've come to expect from all ping products. the gbb was very straight as well, but definitely longer, although feel at impact wasn't great for me. it was at the tail end of a more involved wedge and fairway wood fitting, so we didn't spend a ton of time dialing in loft, weight adjustments and shafts, so ultimately it wasn't good enough to replace my gamer (see below).

for my money of the drivers i've hit recently, i like king ltd the best. look at address and feel at impact are awesome. when i hit it, there were no shaft options and the employee at pgass never offered to tweak lofts. my spin was too low, so i didn't buy it. but i really liked it!

You mentioned a weighted washer inside the weight port. I just cut my AD DI 6S shaft down to 44-3/4" and I'd like to add some weight to the head. Have you tested to see if a washer will actually fit? If so, what type of washer?

Playing 18 practice round yesterday (wet cond) with my 816/Rogue70x (268cpm) & GBB/665x (257cpm) swapping shafts/heads. This is like S+ vs X in diff combo's
GBB seems a tad draw bias, and I had the rear weight near the end of the channel / full fade + 3/4' strip lead tape on the toe to hit straighter, It worked well to negate my draw.
816 preformed better more forgiving with the GBB softer flex Fuji 665x. I was turning it over Vs 70x pushes
GBB preformed 'very well' with the stiffer Rogue 70x.
816/70x may be slightly less spin, bit more penetrating flight and have a bit tighter dispersion, but center hits are key
The distance between 816/GBB was very similar, perhaps more carry to GBB, however it was light rain wet FW's, so I can't tell yet. Balls were new Srixon Z Star XV's
GBB bigger sweet spot / added forgiveness made my Rogue 70x feel smoother, less harsh & much easier to hit. I felt more confident to go at it, rather than more precision ball strike / swing in good shape with 816. Here is how they differ IMO: 816=Forgiving Blade / GBB=Players CB. The 816's not bad, but GBB is easier to be more consistent
GBB can handle a stiffer shaft, so don't Err to a softer one if you draw the ball with this head
I hit some 'repeatable bombs' with GBB/70x that flew 'straight', tight to land only a few yards from each other, one shot was cranked longer. I was hitting center FW's, (with 816/Rogue 70x miss is a push)
They feel like opposite weighted heads. GBB is slightly more draw bias, so I had rear weight full fade/lead tape on toe, were 816 I def need heal side weight with the same shaft and very square at address.
I prefer a driver to hit straight with required adjustment weight out on the rear pear toe side, rather than the inside heal side. I think it adds more power to the shot, more MOI/forgiveness, and moves the CG more toe side. The GBB has this over the 816, and this is why players are driving it so well n solid.
I may replace the 3/4" lead tape strip on the toe side with a sized weighted washer that fits inside the port under the weight screw of the GBB to add more weight directly behind the ball, and see if I get stronger flights.

I prefer the 816 head to look at at address, however I think the GBB/Rogue 70x was decent today...I need more time with both and LM to check out spin rates / LA / etc. I am 'hoping' to get a bit of roll out with GBB

Thwack!!!! Is the sound that my new mistress makes. I have the 10.5 GBB with the Kuro Kage. After launching the first two balls to the moon I took a degree off and teed it lower. Great googly moogly, it's a launch monster. All day long in mid 40 degree weather on a very wet course my ball was in long drive of the year position. It did everything that I asked. Fade, draw, straight ball. It just didn't like when I swung for the fences. It put me in position A all day long.
The launch is exactly asI like. Low to mid with a super flat tragectory. I can't wait for warm weather to see where this thing goes. Can't remember a better driving day.and that is the first day I hit the damn thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Played with Ole Gray and flog2424 yesterday and I was money all day with the GBB. 9/12 fairways and I mean center cut fairways, not left or right side. And not only was it straight, but it was some of the longest drives of the year for me. I was in parts of the fairway that I've never been in before.

This club is straight $$$$$

Hit the simulator just now and really happy with my numbers. I have to tee it low but my launch is near 11.5 and the spin is averaging around 2100. Distance is right at 280 total. Ball speed high 140s. Very happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You mentioned a weighted washer inside the weight port. I just cut my AD DI 6S shaft down to 44-3/4" and I'd like to add some weight to the head. Have you tested to see if a washer will actually fit? If so, what type of washer?

There is enough thread length on the weight to fit two washers under the weight, and still grab a thread to hold tight. Just take it to a hardware store and get a washer that fits...easy.
Generally 1 washer is close to 1 SW point. You could also wrap the weight a few turns with lead tape strips and still fit it in the port for additional weight. You will see the sides of the stock weight have some room on the barrel to fit in the port. You should be able to weight it enough to be neat.

Both days in Cali it took a few holes to dial back in with this but once I did it was by far the best Driver I have ever gamed, down the stretch in my singles match I had to put good drives in play and did so with confidence. I don't know if Jman knew how shocked I was to continue piping this into the fairway with the match so tight, but I loved every second of it nerves and all! I've got this thing dialed to Draw in all fashion and a big cut slice can be my miss, and I think I saw 2 of those of 54 holes just a solid solid driver with a great feel off the face. Swing your swing and great things happen!

Both days in Cali it took a few holes to dial back in with this but once I did it was by far the best Driver I have ever gamed, down the stretch in my singles match I had to put good drives in play and did so with confidence. I don't know if Jman knew how shocked I was to continue piping this into the fairway with the match so tight, but I loved every second of it nerves and all! I've got this thing dialed to Draw in all fashion and a big cut slice can be my miss, and I think I saw 2 of those of 54 holes just a solid solid driver with a great feel off the face. Swing your swing and great things happen!

Thats awesome man, confidence especially with the driver is huge. I know I really liked what I saw with the few swings ive taken with this club as well

Thats awesome man, confidence especially with the driver is huge. I know I really liked what I saw with the few swings ive taken with this club as well

Yea if I was back at home with the old clubs it would have been a hybrid off the tee for sure to be safe, but I got in the zone with GBB and just let if fly! I won't question Driver now

Yea if I was back at home with the old clubs it would have been a hybrid off the tee for sure to be safe, but I got in the zone with GBB and just let if fly! I won't question Driver now

Exactly what I found as well. So many times where I would normally pull a 3 wood to be safe, I'm now confident enough because of the GBB to pull driver and go for it. It's the best part of this club by far for me - confidence.

Exactly what I found as well. So many times where I would normally pull a 3 wood to be safe, I'm now confident enough because of the GBB to pull driver and go for it. It's the best part of this club by far for me - confidence.

Agreed. When I used my brothers prior to purchasing mine, I wanted to skip the holes I didn't need a driver for. I was playing the left side of the fairway instead of the right rough or woods. I love this driver.

I know 9-10 THPers that are going to be raving about this driver over the next few months. I saw absolute bombs with this thing at The Hideaway.

Based on a recent fitting, I was down to the G30 and the GBB. The G30's has some nice things going for it: forgiveness for a inconsistent swing like I have plus it cost less new and used. But in the swings I took with the GBB, there was no doubt it was better feel and performance. Now I'm seriously pondering paying the price premium for GBB. I have to get a whole new set of clubs (mine stolen), and knowing I've got the best driver possible in my new bag would be a nice feeling.

Based on a recent fitting, I was down to the G30 and the GBB. The G30's has some nice things going for it: forgiveness for a inconsistent swing like I have plus it cost less new and used. But in the swings I took with the GBB, there was no doubt it was better feel and performance. Now I'm seriously pondering paying the price premium for GBB. I have to get a whole new set of clubs (mine stolen), and knowing I've got the best driver possible in my new bag would be a nice feeling.

SOunds like you know what has to be done

I know 9-10 THPers that are going to be raving about this driver over the next few months. I saw absolute bombs with this thing at The Hideaway.
I can't give it a proper review yet, but the shot I was most impressed with was a complete miss. It was middle of the club but very low on the face. I hit it and shuddered, expecting the worst but saw a fairly hot, low liner that split the fairway and rolled up to 235-240 according to my caddy. That doesn't happen with my former driver, and I am now a believer in R-MOTO technology. The ones I caught well were going 250-260, which were a few yards longer than my last driver, and I even caught a couple that were in the 270 range. (Had a 276 at ECPC, which is huge for me). I need some more work on delivering a consistently square club face, but I'm definitely excited to get this club on my home course.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So I was fit into the GBB 10.5 with the Fuji Speeder 665 shaft. Standard length and perimeter weighting set to neutral. The one part of my game I was a little worried about coming in to TheGrandaddy was my driving. It ended up being one of the stronger parts of my game this week, and the GBB played a good part in that. Misses toward the toe and even heel were much less penal than what I was used to seeing with my former gamer. And when I caught it flush, oh my. I was hitting some bombs with this thing! Several times everyone in our group hit some great drives and I ended up being the long one of the group. Nothing like being 1 up with 2 holes to go, and piping a crucial drive 280 down the middle of the fairway! I can not wait to get out with this back home and get some more work in with it. Even if the courses are closed, I'm lucky to a heated range within 30 minutes. Also excited to test it with the Oban shaft we were given to see how that compares to what I was fit into.

After all the rave reviews for this driver here and elsewhere, I picked a 10.5 with the stock KK shaft for myself.
I have to say this is one great driver and now understand all the praises it gets.

Played at the stock length, which is longer than my other drivers, it took a few holes to get the set up right, but when I did it was amazing. Solid, long and straight drives the rest of the day. Played on a cold day and distance was longer than my summer distances with me being able to out drive one of the longer hitters in my group by 20 yds which I never could before.

Thanks to all who posted here about this club that I may never have bought otherwise.

One of the most fun parts of this week at #TheGrandaddy for me was seeing all of my review validated/verified while watching people get fit for it (including myself).

One of the most fun parts of this week at #TheGrandaddy for me was seeing all of my review validated/verified while watching people get fit for it (including myself).

No surprise here. Your reviews (and THP's in general) are the best in the business. Still it's awesome to see others have the same feelings

After all the rave reviews for this driver here and elsewhere, I picked a 10.5 with the stock KK shaft for myself.
I have to say this is one great driver and now understand all the praises it gets.

Played at the stock length, which is longer than my other drivers, it took a few holes to get the set up right, but when I did it was amazing. Solid, long and straight drives the rest of the day. Played on a cold day and distance was longer than my summer distances with me being able to out drive one of the longer hitters in my group by 20 yds which I never could before.

Thanks to all who posted here about this club that I may never have bought otherwise.

Best feeling in the world is getting a driver that works for you.

Best feeling in the world is getting a driver that works for you.
Yep, caught Garrett a little off guard when I gave him an unsolicited hug... amazing what a fitting can do, especially when the product is legit... echoing JB... THE best feeling

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Maybe Cbaker has a WAY less stout shaft for me to try in this tomorrow??

Back