Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Maybe Cbaker has a WAY less stout shaft for me to try in this tomorrow??
Mike, I have a couple callaway shafts in stiff that might work.

Also can snag my wife's callaway shaft for kicks.

Maybe Cbaker has a WAY less stout shaft for me to try in this tomorrow??

the Tour Green 60x is a little more whippy than the Rouge I/O 60x :alien: I can put the tour green in for tomorrow no problem, but that's as least stout as I've got haha

Really solid outing with the GBB last time out, loving it

I cut my GD ADDI 6S shaft down from 45.5" to 44.75". I did not swing weight it before cutting down, but after it measured D0. I ordered some tungsten tabs to add some weight back to the head that will be here on Monday. I hit a bucket of balls with it as-is today. I was hitting it much more consistently on the middle of the club face. I felt like I could swing more aggressively than with the longer shaft, and it seemed easier to draw the ball. There is a fence at the back of the range that I ranged at 256 yards. I was landing the ball about 15 to 20 feet up the fence in 40 degree weather. That's about the same distance I normally get with summer temps. It doesn't seem like I've given up any distance and gained accuracy. Can't wait to get it on the course, but it may be awhile. We have a snowstorm coming in on Monday and Tuesday.

Cbaker was pounding this thing today. Had the group behind us not been all up on our business we were going to try a few non x shafts in it for me....might have to wait til sim season

This club still impresses me...oh...my friend KC720 had some mad skills and turn time. Have to get a pic.

EDIT: Went and grabbed a pic of the combo created by Kang
20151212_184949-1.jpg

I asked him to not butt trim and it is at 46" so probably playing at 47-48 and I loved it. He took some off the tip but at that length it spins a bit too much. Felt really good but when your off a touch in the swing...those few inches can pronounce the defects.

Last edited:
I played what was more than likely the last day of the golf season for me. Light rain, 50° soggy fairways. Should have been a mediocre day at best but the driver continued to perform beyond expectations. Left myself in the best positions and as far down the fairways as any time this summer. And to think I'm just getting comfortable with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Going to test this one out with the new Oban shaft this week. I feel like this driver performs with anything I put in it. Crazy on the forgiveness side, great on the numbers side and carries for days.

Dropped it down to 10.5 yesterday. Still crazy good launch and great carry. 9/12 FWs. This driver is going to be in the bag for the long term.

GBB was back in a big way today. Before today I was have doubts and was lost. I saw what I had been seeing prior to the slump. The wind performance was on point today. The dispersion was much tighter and I was able to hit my lines. I was keeping up with the longest hitter in our group and he was impressed. Oddly enough my mini driver on the shorter holes was causing all the issues today.

GBB was back in a big way today. Before today I was have doubts and was lost. I saw what I had been seeing prior to the slump. The wind performance was on point today. The dispersion was much tighter and I was able to hit my lines. I was keeping up with the longest hitter in our group and he was impressed. Oddly enough my mini driver on the shorter holes was causing all the issues today.

When I saw you hit this at Mission Inn, I saw absolute canons. Especially with the Grandura.

When I saw you hit this at Mission Inn, I saw absolute canons. Especially with the Grandura.

I struggled last few times out. It was back in big way today. Great sound on 80% of my drives.

After a 20 year "bro-mance" Callaway and I are going to take a break for a bit. The last few drivers, GBB included, have been too draw biased for me and despite a token good round or two there is little in the way of consistency. Certainly jealous of everyone's success with this driver and that has led me to give it much longer then I should have. I can scramble to my handicap with it in the bag but it's holding me back by not hitting enough fairways. G30 is bag firmly in the bag and will stay there for the foreseeable future.

After a 20 year "bro-mance" Callaway and I are going to take a break for a bit. The last few drivers, GBB included, have been too draw biased for me and despite a token good round or two there is little in the way of consistency. Certainly jealous of everyone's success with this driver and that has led me to give it much longer then I should have. I can scramble to my handicap with it in the bag but it's holding me back by not hitting enough fairways. G30 is bag firmly in the bag and will stay there for the foreseeable future.

When I was getting fit the GBB was too draw biased as well. We ended up with the 816 with gravity core in the high CG toe position and was pounding the ball straight. I don't think I hooked a single ball this past week.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was getting fit the GBB was too draw biased as well. We ended up with the 816 with gravity core in the high CG toe position and was pounding the ball straight. I don't think I hooked a single ball this past week.

So you're trying to cost me five large huh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you're trying to cost me five large huh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahah absolutely not, I am was posting my findings for others as well ;)

DBD paired with diamana d+ 70s though in case you we wondering

Threw the Tour Green 60x in the GBB today for kicks to see if I saw anything different. I could use either shaft (other is the Rouge I/O 60x) but this one was just BOMBING the ball today. Almost every hit was high center on the face, and really didn't see much loss of distance, and still have quite a few very out there for me. I don't really understand how something that high on the face can produce those results...but I am sure as heck not going to fight it haha. I am not a great driver off the tee, but this club certainly makes me look halfway decent. No honeymoon period with this one after having it for a few months now...it's just that good.

OH...and you can win one if you don't already have one through THP Holiday cheer! So go sign up and you can leave no yard behind as well!

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?77071-Callaway-Day-2015-THP-Holiday-Cheer

And i thought u drove the ball well yesterday too....crazy if it got even better with the shaft change

And i thought u drove the ball well yesterday too....crazy if it got even better with the shaft change

I'd love to see the stats between the two. It was easier to tell today because I play that course all the time, and I was in some great positions after some of the drives.

Yesterday I put this driver on FlightScope at the range testing 2 different heads along with this one and multiple shafts. I still hit this further than I hit any other driver and the weird part for me is it rang true regardless of what shaft I put in it. Launch is finally up to 13.5, spin is still in that 2700 range that I like (I would actually prefer a bit higher) and with club speed hovering between 104 and 106, and smash factor between 1.44 and 1.49 I was really getting all I can muster with a driver.

some really all around solid numbers right there JB!

some really all around solid numbers right there JB!

Thanks. There is something to be said for confidence and spending quite a bit of time with a club and shaft and I have done that with this combo. But there is also something to be said for overall distance and forgiveness and I am getting that with this combo as well.

Back