Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

nearly no distance lost on toes is crazy. The original Apex were solid in that aspect, hard to believe they improved on an already forgiving iron. Very intriguing.

There is one example that stands out from all others. At a par 3 that was 165 yards and that is firmly my 6 iron. I can muscle a 7 iron there or take a tiny bit off my 6 iron (its my 170 club). The pin was towards the back and it was playing 171, but it was only 9 feet away from the back edge, so going long was not the right play. Small wind in our face, so I opted for the 6 iron and at impact I knew i caught it on the toe. Ball mark on the face showed that I was correct. Fully expected to get to the green and see about a 30 foot putt left (10 yards short) and be on the front/middle of the green.

When we rolled up there I was about 15-17 feet away and only short of the pin by about 2 yards (5-6 feet). There was no roll out as the pitch mark was still behind the ball, so not only did I end up with similar distance, I did not see a spin zap that would have led to a knuckling of sorts. All in all, just a fantastic reminder during the round of what kind of club I was dealing with.

thats almost no distance loss, thats crazy...and awesome

One of the things I noticed most in playing these in competition over the last week was lateral forgiveness. I would like to say I did not miss much, but there were a number of times that my ball mark was out towards the toe by half an inch or so. I lost virtually no distance and ddec and I had a conversation about it while in the cart. Seeing the characteristics of ball flight remain not only similar, but virtually identical on a miss like this is staggering and something I have not experienced from any iron that is not hollow body (hybrid like).

I saw and felt the same exact thing, a few times I finished my swing and thought 'shoot, I caught the toe' then I watched the ball and flight and it still went the distance I was trying to hit and just grabbed shaft looked at that pretty little iron head and SMILED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is incredible. Above and beyond man

Yep, I had a message from Finley before I even landed that they were going out today. Incredible.

Why the reshaft? The callaway folks always do more than what can ever be expected

Had PX instead of PXi in them, these things can happen when a company is making the impossible happen. They actually let me know before I even realized it and I left the clubs with them when we departed.

One of the things I noticed most in playing these in competition over the last week was lateral forgiveness. I would like to say I did not miss much, but there were a number of times that my ball mark was out towards the toe by half an inch or so. I lost virtually no distance and ddec and I had a conversation about it while in the cart. Seeing the characteristics of ball flight remain not only similar, but virtually identical on a miss like this is staggering and something I have not experienced from any iron that is not hollow body (hybrid like).

Big time. They really are an improvement on the Apex. Also, while I know some have talked about the looks compared to the originals, after having them in hand for a LOT of golf...I like the looks of these better.

Was there an issue with them?

See above. Not an issue really, and all is good because they're awesome like that.

What an incredibly quick turnaround. Awesome!

Heck of a catch and fix by Callaway. Pretty cool you'll have them by Monday as well!

nearly no distance lost on toes is crazy. The original Apex were solid in that aspect, hard to believe they improved on an already forgiving iron. Very intriguing.

I have seen this many times and one of the things I love about them.

I really shouldn't have hit these with the recoils. That is one expensive ponder.

Finally have a chance to get some thoughts on these put down. The weight and feel of these is just perfect for me. Paired these with KBS Tour shafts, and they just simply perform. The numbers I was seeing during the fitting were ideal; perfect launch, perfect spin.

Before we got my length adjusted during the fitting, I was finding the bottom groove, but the ball flight was much much better than what I usually see when I thin a shot. I can remember one instance on the course where the lateral forgiveness shined. Can't remember the hole, but I had a 7 iron in hand and was aiming just right of the pin, and swung and could feel the club twist from the toe hit, which usually means a weak fade and being about 10+ yards short. I saw a nearly straight flight and was still on the green, just a few yards short; it turned out about as good as if I had hit it flush.

The confidence these irons inspire for me is huge, and I know that I put even close to a good swing on them and they'll do the rest for me. Can't wait to get them out locally and see how my yardages and club choices change; a little hard to gauge on an unknown course with the adrenaline of being in the Grandaddy impacting things. Much more to come.

Does anyone know how callaway's upcharge for shafts works? In Canada the apex with steel shafts r $1399 & 1699 for graphite. If I was to order steelfiber shafts I would assume the upcharge would b added to $1399 not the graphite price. Is that correct?

Does anyone know how callaway's upcharge for shafts works? In Canada the apex with steel shafts r $1399 & 1699 for graphite. If I was to order steelfiber shafts I would assume the upcharge would b added to $1399 not the graphite price. Is that correct?

I believe you are correct.

Finally have a chance to get some thoughts on these put down. The weight and feel of these is just perfect for me. Paired these with KBS Tour shafts, and they just simply perform. The numbers I was seeing during the fitting were ideal; perfect launch, perfect spin.

Before we got my length adjusted during the fitting, I was finding the bottom groove, but the ball flight was much much better than what I usually see when I thin a shot. I can remember one instance on the course where the lateral forgiveness shined. Can't remember the hole, but I had a 7 iron in hand and was aiming just right of the pin, and swung and could feel the club twist from the toe hit, which usually means a weak fade and being about 10+ yards short. I saw a nearly straight flight and was still on the green, just a few yards short; it turned out about as good as if I had hit it flush.

The confidence these irons inspire for me is huge, and I know that I put even close to a good swing on them and they'll do the rest for me. Can't wait to get them out locally and see how my yardages and club choices change; a little hard to gauge on an unknown course with the adrenaline of being in the Grandaddy impacting things. Much more to come.

It was well beyond time you got an upgrade buddy, and these will be PHENOMENAL for you.

For those that stopped at the CF PW what lofts are you using in your wedges?

So I'll have some more thoughts to add here when my combo set of cf/pros get here. On golfsmith monitor the cf 7 iron was big. Set to sea level, my srixon 945 was getting 176. Pro 7i with ctaper lite x flex was giving me 184 ish. Cf 7i with ctaper lite x flex was 195! Flying high with touch of draw. 4,5,6 and 7 iron with ctaper lite x flex on the way, 1 degree flat, 1 degree weak (inspired by a zoo crew WITB from the grandaddy)

Biggest concern is the gap from cf 7i to pro 8i.

How is the forgiveness in comparison to the original Apex?

Forgiveness is better than the original IMO. The originals were my gamers for a full season, and what I was using prior to TheGrandaddy. I absolutely loved them and was curios to see how they could be improved. Forgiveness off the bottom groove is as good if not better in the Apex CF. I also hit some towards the toe and saw literally no distance loss, which was super impressive. Last hole I played with these was a 170 par 3 (picture below). I pulled the 7 iron, hit it a little on the toe and ended up on the green 10-15 feet past pin high, but right. Easy 2 putt par to end. Perfect ending to an awesome round.

I was also seeing at least 5 yards more distance on these than the originals. Once I get my GameGolf tags on them and start recording shots I'll have better direct comparisons, but really liking what I've seen the first 45 holes.

And let me add that the AW is probably my favorite club in the set. And that makes me happy. Reminds me of a set I used to love

And let me add that the AW is probably my favorite club in the set. And that makes me happy. Reminds me of a set I used to love

My XR pro AW was probably my favorite set wedge ever but I agree the CF16 AW is pretty stellar as well. Huge improvement over the OG Apex AW IMO.

I may or may not have a set of these on order ?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

52/56/60

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Preview

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Preview

50/56/60

I wanted to minimize the gap between PW and gap, but still get the weapon that is the PM grind into the bag. I didn't notice any problems with this during play.

I contemplated going MD3 PW but decided against it

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't want to stop the awesomeness at the PW, so I went with the A :D

Back