The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I didn't mean for it to be as cryptic as it was...

More or less my dad thinks he has several potential opportunities lined up for me back home, but with my travel schedule I won't be able to network/interview/etc. when I am working 10-12 hour days in god knows where..

He is wanting me (If I want to move back) to put in my 2 weeks and head home and continue networking with his clients and make sure I am available for all interviews. It makes me super nervous, but I think I just need to take the leap

Thats interesting, big leap of faith. What about just taking a weeks vacation and doing the interviews etc rather than walking away from a paying job to have to wait and look for another?

More or less my dad thinks he has several potential opportunities lined up for me back home, but with my travel schedule I won't be able to network/interview/etc. when I am working 10-12 hour days in god knows where..

He is wanting me (If I want to move back) to put in my 2 weeks and head home and continue networking with his clients and make sure I am available for all interviews. It makes me super nervous, but I think I just need to take the leap

I think your dad is a wise man but you probably already knew that. I agree that your travel schedule leaves almost no room for interviewing elsewhere. I don't know what your $$$$ situation is but if you have enough to live on for the next 6 months I would seriously consider his offer. You are young, have good experience now and the market is good down here for the area you are looking in. Not to mention the connections that may be lined up.

Ponder hard my friend and good luck!

Thats interesting, big leap of faith. What about just taking a weeks vacation and doing the interviews etc rather than walking away from a paying job to have to wait and look for another?

No chance I would be able to get a week off with my travel schedule.
Or Even 2 days

I would just live with my parents while I figured it out, but I know how unhappy I am in my current situation so that is why I am pondering it the way that I am

Make the jump. You have a support system there. Your heart is obviously not where you are at now. When we are young is the time to make these types of moves get wrapped up in a career and get to a point in your life and it may be to late you will regret that everyday if you are truly not happen and had this opportunity. On the flip side make sure it is truly what and where YOU want to be and it will make you happy. Don't just make a move to make a move have a reason behind it. Everything I have seen though points to it being a good move.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Big decisions around my future and the timeline in which to make the decision is killing me. I have a lot to think about this weekend

It's time to think about being happy, my brother.

Ron nailed it

I am fully confident in my Dad and his connections to find me a job, but if not I have 3 years of consulting experience and an MBA. In a city like Dallas I shouldn't have trouble finding a job, but it still is scary to leave a job that is paying me for no job and not have defined amount of time it would take to find a new one.

Would your current employer take you back as a last resort if you leave on good terms?

I am fully confident in my Dad and his connections to find me a job, but if not I have 3 years of consulting experience and an MBA. In a city like Dallas I shouldn't have trouble finding a job, but it still is scary to leave a job that is paying me for no job and not have defined amount of time it would take to find a new one.
Good workers and smart people that can carve a niche will always have a job no matter where they go (within reason) it might take a minute but you will find something. It also makes it much easier to have your family to help with that transition. Now again a flip side don't just move someplace because it is safe move where you will be the happiest (that may be Dallas just a hypothetical on my part)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Would your current employer take you back as a last resort if you leave on good terms?

Potentially, but not something I want to do. I could take a job in Kansas City, but at this point it would be a lateral move. I am trying to set myself up for a professional future, and all signs point to that being in Dallas.

I have friends there, family there, it is where I grew up. I know I am going to second guess whatever I do, but I think it is going to just be a matter of weighing the pros and cons and trying to make the best decision I can.

Potentially, but not something I want to do. I could take a job in Kansas City, but at this point it would be a lateral move. I am trying to set myself up for a professional future, and all signs point to that being in Dallas.

I have friends there, family there, it is where I grew up. I know I am going to second guess whatever I do, but I think it is going to just be a matter of weighing the pros and cons and trying to make the best decision I can.

Sounds like you already know what the right move is.

No chance I would be able to get a week off with my travel schedule.
Or Even 2 days

I would just live with my parents while I figured it out, but I know how unhappy I am in my current situation so that is why I am pondering it the way that I am
Here's what I'm experiencing. There's an almost curious comfort knowing the crappiness that is our current situation. The unknown of the potential future state is scarier than the known crap. But keep your radar up for the current crap you really dislike and the signs that it will never improve (and in fact that it's likely to get worse). Even if the new situation is not perfect can it really be worse than the current state? Life's too short.

Thanks everyone for you input, it does mean a lot. I think I know what the right move is, but I still just want to take the weekend and really think about it.

Big decisions around my future and the timeline in which to make the decision is killing me. I have a lot to think about this weekend

Taylor, this is so similar to a situation I was in at about your same age. I left my job and moved across the country, Tampa to LA on an exact similar promise by my dad. Things did not pan out with his connections, but in the end they worked out with another great company and started me in a career that has ultimately helped in each move, I've made since then. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Lightingbolt44 made a lot of great points that I concur with. As others have said, if you need to reach out, I'd be happy to share my experiences and thoughts even though they were 30 years ago :excruciating:

You can go work for Toyota as they are building their HQ here in Frisco! Or Jerry opening up Jerry World 2? Or trust your pops and get that excitement running through the veins again. Watch the Office this weekend too.

If you're not happy I would make the leap. Think about the situation you are in single without kids. To me this would be the perfect time to take the leap of faith especially with the support from your parents. I made the decision last year to leave a good paying job that I had been at for 13 years and very comfortable to my new location. While it is in Iowa I haven't regretted it yet. I also had a wife and two kids to think about with the move. Good luck on whatever path you go on.

I agree with everyone, make that leap of faith while you are young and have the support system there to help if you it takes some time to find your new job.

Nothing more I wanna do then pack up, take the kids and move out of Ohio.

Nothing worse I could do then leave my Dad. We are literally the only thing that keeps him going, and the only thing that he looks forward to.

It's a hard pill to swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you need an agent to sell your house, I might know someone

From Seth Godin book "The Dip":
"...What really sets superstars apart from everyone else is the ability to escape dead ends quickly, while staying focused and motivated when it really counts. Winners quit fast, quit often, and quit without guilt..."

My wife is this kind of superstar. She has quit 3 jobs in the last 3 or so years and has started her own business this year. Not suggesting starting a business is right for everyone, but I wanted to provide more positive thoughts on quitting and committing to something that is better for you. If you are financially able to do it, then DO IT! Don't just consider the risk of action but also the risk of inaction.

Take the leap.

It's hard to take the first step in that direction, but, with hard work and perseverance, it will all work out well in the long run.

Ill go the other way and say that before taking a leap of faith, make sure of one thing.

If this is about "setting up for the career" make sure the move is not because of comfort.

Sometimes when we hit rough patches in our lives, the easiest thing to do is say "take the leap" and "head for comfort". And I have great friends that I care a lot about that this worked out really well for. Others, not so well at all and ended up taking another leap 12 months later to leave comfort.

Mind you there is nothing wrong with that, but as someone that is as career driven as you, it should not be as easy as saying "time to go home".

The flip side is you are young, bright and have an education on your side to head in the right direction regardless of where you are. I will tell you a story and its one I dont share often. My father made his own path despite being offered the family business and it would have set himself up well. I planned to follow my father's footsteps because I idolize him as a man and know what he has accomplished doing things the right way. I screwed up that chance as a teenager, but it was a blessing in disguise.

The roost will always have been there for me, but getting away and starting my own career was what sent me down a path to success (arguable) and had I chosen the safe way, none of my learning from the highs and lows would have happened. I would not have been able to learn my craft, and do so without the training wheels of family.

Now to a man, its a different situation, you did leave the roost and started your own creation. Which in the end sent me to where I am today. I have had three different careers in my life and all three of them are completely disconnected from one another, but each one taught me a valuable lesson in growth, life and wisdom. In the end, people who treat people right, others will find a way to do business with you (regardless of sector). It took me a long time to learn that and some growth as a person to get there.

At this point I am rambling, but I have a few more things to say. I went from working in sports at an analytic level. To being a headhunter in big business corporate clients in the insurance broker side (then headhunter in the fashion side) to back to sports (loosely) in the THP side. None of them happen without the other, but they are departures. I used to tell people that the grass is always greener on the other side, until you get there and realize its the same patch of grass and you were looking in a mirror. What does that mean? Who the **** know, but to me it means that we always think the other side is better, and jump due to emotional ties, but in the end, the mirror is saying that its us that wanted a change, rather than anything else.

Now with all of that said, it has been a unique year for you, and I am sure you are emotionally drained and familiarity and comfort might not be the worst thing in the world. To sum all of this stuff up, trust your gut, but look at both sides. And if you need assistance, you have a great community of people here to give you advice...

Josh,

I cannot thank you enough for that post. That was incredible, and honestly pretty darn powerful.

I know some of this is a comfort thing, but honestly I think I feel more comfortable, at least socially, in Kansas City than I would in Dallas. I have spent 8+ years here, made some incredible friends, learned a ton about myself, and grown a lot as a human being.

Professionally, I am stuck. I am at a job where I bust my @$$ 55+ hours a week, travel all the time, and don't get recognized for my effort or compensated for it, and frankly, I am tired of it. A good friend of mine asked me, "Have you ever felt like Kansas City is where you were going to put down roots?" I told him no. Even when I was still dating my ex, I always hoped that we would move somewhere, out of the Midwest, and preferably to Dallas.

Having my family and some friends in Dallas certainly doesn't hurt, but if I make this move it will be because I think it provides the best future for me. I am scared about moving, but I know whatever I decide, I can make the best of it. I am a hard worker, and I don't burn bridges, I will find my way in whichever city I end up calling home.

Good for you buddy. It says you have looked at both sides and if Dallas is your future home, getting there should a priority.
If TX isnt your future home or you are not sure, then take a look at the job landscape and see what's out there around the country.

Good for you buddy. It says you have looked at both sides and if Dallas is your future home, getting there should a priority.
If TX isnt your future home or you are not sure, then take a look at the job landscape and see what's out there around the country.

Absolutely man. I am trying to consider all options, but time isn't on my side with my lease and trying to give my roommate ample time to find someone to live with. My biggest thing is with my current job, the ability to interview or network with anyone outside of Kansas City is virtually impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back