Callaway XR 16 Sub Zero Driver - THP Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review is the latest from Callaway, a seriously low spin monster better known as "Sub Zero" to compliment the already impressive XR 16 driver lineup. With alterations to sole weighting and finish, there is a relatively visible difference, but it is the low CG and low spin that will likely make this driver stand out among the rest.

From Callaway

The XR 16 Sub Zero represents the lowest Center of Gravity we’ve ever engineered in a driver. This means players with high swing speeds that generate a lot of spin can use the extremely low spin Sub Zero to drive the ball even farther. We used a new proprietary Carbon Triax Crown that’s our lowest carbon crown ever to redistribute weight below the neutral axis.

Then we added two interchangeable weights in the head (10g and 2g) to fine tune the launch and spin you need to maximize distance. You can move the heavy weight forward for the lowest spinning, flattest trajectory or move the heavy weight back to promote a slightly higher trajectory and more forgiveness. And you can choose from 20 premium, no upcharge shafts to fit your swing speed. This driver has also been proven on Tour this year by players like Phil Mickelson.

Features & Benefits:

Extremely Low Spin For Exceptional Distance - The Sub Zero has a CG that’s below the neutral axis, and it’s the lowest CG we’ve ever had in a Callaway Driver. We’ve done this by using a new Carbon Triax Crown that’s our lightest carbon crown ever. If you’re a higher swing speed player that can take advantage of lower spin with a deep face design, you’ll be picking up more distance.

Fine Tune Your Trajectory - There are two interchangeable weights in the head (2g and 10g). You can place the weights in the forward or rearward position to help control the trajectory and the shot shape you want to play. The distance from this driver is great, and when you combine that with the workability, you can take on any tee shot.

20 No Upcharge Shafts - 20 premium aftermarket shafts for you to choose from. We know that one of them will be a perfect fit for your swing speed and tempo.

In hand Photos

0424161943b-XL.jpg

0424161944-XL.jpg

0424161938-XL.jpg

0424161939-XL.jpg

0424161939e-XL.jpg

0424161939g-XL.jpg

0424161940-XL.jpg

0424161940f-XL.jpg

0424161941a-XL.jpg

0424161941c-XL.jpg

0424161942a-XL.jpg

0424161942d-XL.jpg

0424161943-XL.jpg

0424161945a-XL.jpg

0424161946-XL.jpg

0424161947-XL.jpg

Wicked cool! Looking forward to seeing how well it works for you, Dan.

I had a chance to get this head in play this weekend with somewhat mixed results, but I think there's a story on it that I'll be tracking this week. The short part of the story, was a surprising sweeping miss left, which I think represents the lighter head profile, and my ability to really get it through the zone fast and a bit earlier than the swing was planning on. As the weekend rounds progressed, I found the head to really start to connect with the swing, and I am certain my next update (probably tomorrow evening) will represent even better findings.

Having hit the XR Pro already this week, I think the Sub Zero is a great compliment to the overall profile while hosting slightly different elements such as the awesome glossy finish, and lack of alignment aid atop the crown. By comparison, the overall flighting represented some additional (and personally unwanted) spin from the XR Pro, which is something I saw really flatten out in the overall ball path while in the air. A lot less of a rising result, and a lot more of a nice table top plateau that I prefer.

I also think the stock Rogue 110 with the RIP I/O shaft is awesome. Plenty of responsiveness in a profile that does not seem to encourage too much added spin even when applied by the more aggressive swing type.

I'll have this back on course tomorrow for a full workout, so please get some questions in and I'll see if I can add them to my thoughts while playing!

One of the surprises for me between the xr16 pro and the subzero is that there is very little difference visually at address in size. The pro is 450cc and subzero is 440cc, and 10cc is perhaps too little to tell visually, but when I first looked at it in hand the first impression was that it doesn't "look" like 440 like the old optiforce 440. The difference will be much more substantial I'm sure when put next to the xr16 which is 460 with much longer face to rear distance.

I'm looking forward to following this one. Hit it long Dan.

For some reason I'm thinking Sadlowski and Miller might of had some thoughts involved in this one.

I'll be following this one close. I've been interested in this driver since I first saw it a month or two ago on callaway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

One of the surprises for me between the xr16 pro and the subzero is that there is very little difference visually at address in size. The pro is 450cc and subzero is 440cc, and 10cc is perhaps too little to tell visually, but when I first looked at it in hand the first impression was that it doesn't "look" like 440 like the old optiforce 440. The difference will be much more substantial I'm sure when put next to the xr16 which is 460 with much longer face to rear distance.

This is surprising to read. I really didn't notice any difference in size between the XR Pro and the Sub Zero. But, the difference in head size was really noticeable for me between the XR16 and XR16 Pro.

Interesting first thoughts Dan. Looking forward to following along and see how this works for you. I still wish I would have spent time with this at club clash.

Good stuff, Dan. I know to each their own, but if the misses are manageable it could be a good fit for me.

Great initial thoughts Dan. And interesting to see the stock shaft may be a winner for ya.

Yuuuussssssss! Hopefully i get to take a couple swings with this one this weekend. Low spin is my friend, but penal misses are not. Looking forward to following this one

Great initial thoughts Dan. And interesting to see the stock shaft may be a winner for ya.
I agree. OEM's are doing an awesome job with their stock offerings recently.

I'm really looking forward to this review, should be a good comparison between this and your LTD.

Been waiting for this as I think it could be a fantastic head for the right player. Interesting thoughts about the sweeping left miss Dan. If I'm not mistaken, when Nate was going through his fitting with UST Danny added some lead to the head which has really helped Nate with that left miss.

Looking forward to more as you spend time with it.

I like that this is a smaller head. Great stock shaft option, sounds like a winner. I wonder if this will end up in U-design.

This is surprising to read. I really didn't notice any difference in size between the XR Pro and the Sub Zero. But, the difference in head size was really noticeable for me between the XR16 and XR16 Pro.

I think you're agreeing with kc?

Either way, I didn't notice big chances between XR Pro and Sub Zero beyond the finish and lack of anything on the crown. I think it looks like plenty driver for 440cc

I agree. OEM's are doing an awesome job with their stock offerings recently.

The Rogue with RIP I/O is such a beast of a stiff shaft, it's awesome. I am not sure they could have picked a better stock option for golfers seeking that spin limiting result in a profile that still loads well. I hit it with my go to shaft (HZRDUS Black) and found some really nice results, but I didn't think it was wildly better than stock -- Frankly, Ii could game that setup stock and be happy with it.

Been waiting for this as I think it could be a fantastic head for the right player. Interesting thoughts about the sweeping left miss Dan. If I'm not mistaken, when Nate was going through his fitting with UST Danny added some lead to the head which has really helped Nate with that left miss.

Looking forward to more as you spend time with it.

I remember them altering the head a bit, but couldn't remember why. It's a really interesting miss, and something I was doing earlier in the year with the DBD as well. I know I tend to get a bit early with the head which has that turn written all over it, but I still really think it's just a matter of keeping up with the head in my swing in total. The profile makes it so easy to get through the zone with speed and power!

I'm interested in this review. I'm really looking for a new driver I can use. I've updated almost my entire bag and the driver is my next piece. I like what i'm hearing already with this CG change. I think this could work for my game.

I have to agree with the Rogue, outstanding shaft. I will be putting my speeder into this one when it gets here. I will be looking at the new xlr8 line in both the pro and speeder.

Hit the pro xlr8 with the GBB on a flight scope and really liked it. Just need to see what they do in this head before purchasing. Looking forward to it arriving and your thoughts.

I think you're agreeing with kc?

Either way, I didn't notice big chances between XR Pro and Sub Zero beyond the finish and lack of anything on the crown. I think it looks like plenty driver for 440cc

Agreed. Agreeing with Kang. Just really surprised to see that the same cc difference between the Sub Zero and XR16 Pro wasn't apparent while the same difference in cc was really apparent between the XR16 and XR16 Pro.

I wish so badly that Callaway would do a glossy finish on the XR16 Pro. It looks so much better, IMO, than the matte finish on the XR16 Pro.

I'd really like to get the Subzero and the Pro out together on the range and swap back and forth the shaft to get a feel for both. They are both heavily on my radar for new driver to swap out of my XR I currently have.....which is also awesome, by the way.

Great initial thoughts Dan. Interested to see how this works out for you long term. I know I saw some guys hit some bombs with this thing last weekend.

The Rogue with RIP I/O is such a beast of a stiff shaft, it's awesome. I am not sure they could have picked a better stock option for golfers seeking that spin limiting result in a profile that still loads well. I hit it with my go to shaft (HZRDUS Black) and found some really nice results, but I didn't think it was wildly better than stock -- Frankly, Ii could game that setup stock and be happy with it.

QUOTE]

Not to get this thread go too far sideways, but if you have hit the Rip Alpha, how does the I/O compare?

QUOTE]

Not to get this thread go too far sideways, but if you have hit the Rip Alpha, how does the I/O compare?

I thought the RIP Alpha (I assume the old one with the skull and eyes) felt atrocious. what it lacked horribly in the hands, it is made up for with the rogue build, while still benefiting from the RIP tip area design. It's awesome.

I took to the course again today with Sub Zero as the primary option off the tee. I am still seeing a definitive draw shape on the driver, and hitting it alongside another gamer of mine (Cobra LTD) I was shocked at how the same swing was introducing a draw with the Sub Zero and a fade with the LTD. Maybe it's a face angle thing, maybe it's not, but certainly worth the conversation.

In any case, the longer I play it the more reasonable the shaping off the tee is becoming, and that includes a few 300+ bombs that hit and got some decent bounce. It's also not to say you can't work the ball right because it's definitely possible, I just see this head for my swing as being genuinely left bias.

The stock shaft remains a performer. I do see a bit of extra distance out of my preferred shaft, but I would have absolutely no reservations playing rounds with the rogue. In either case, I am seeing at most a mid launch, which is great because I can get a bit more boring flight in tougher wind conditions, but disappointing because I can't drop to 8.5 to try and get the face open a little bit.

The Sub Zero is definitely not your average XR 16 offering. It serves a place alongside the XR 16 and XR 16 pro as the next in line design that (at least visually) destroys spin and looks exceptionally mean with the glossy finish. Also, it sounds pretty much perfect.

Back