Could DJ now be considered a choker?

He's choked a couple of times this year, but he's got back up and contended again. That tells me that he wants it badly, and I reckon he'll learn to win the hard way. Taking the big disappointments, dealing with them and getting right back up there.

He might even come out stronger for it, and be able to handle the hard times a little better in the future.

I thought has caddie at Pebble was a local, same caddie as he has now?

He is local to Pebble based on where he lives. But Bobby Brown has been his caddy for quite some time now. Before that he was with Eric Axley.

Anyone named Bobby Brown has to be cool. Wonder if he can karaoke "My Perogative"

I was more thinking aling the lines of 'Ghostbusters'

I think DJ has a long way to go before the choke label can be appiled to him....
Anyone named Bobby Brown has to be cool. Wonder if he can karaoke "My Perogative"

He's no where near as bad as Westwood or Monty .....

My opinion is that it's a bit early to tell. He's still young.

I think people are forgetting he has won already. Granted not at the highest level, but he has won.

I also think he has a very good caddie. Bobby Brown is very good imho.

True.

But even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. He still needs to figure out how to win under a variety of circumstances and I think that's gonna take some time.

Bobby Jones said that we learn more from our failures than our successes and I think that this year, DJ has done a lot of learning. But the fact that he seems to be able to bounce back from things that would be career-ending catastrophes for many other players speaks volumes about his drive and his ability to shake off bad things.

I think as he matures, he'll become a strong finisher and a frequent winner.

-JP

I see DJ being a force in the coming years. He reminds me alot of a young Phil minus the popped collar. I think it revolves around the fact that he has all the physical talent in the world but he makes mistakes that he sees as things he can do. Like the left handed shot at the US Open when the ball was near the bunker. That is something Phil would try, Phil didn't win any majors in his 20's and choked away many until his mid 30's. So if he keeps developing and can win 1 major in the next 2 to 3 years I could see him being a consistent major contender for years to come. He is only gonna get better in the mental department considering what all has happened to him, I can't think of a guy who has had so much go wrong in 1 season. I think we are gonna be talking about Dustin Johnson in a good way for many years to come.

i've been thinking about this for a couple of days now and i have come up with an assessment: DJ has a tremendous amount of talent and he will be a force, but throw him on the biggest stages in golf and he chokes like i do in Florida!

i've been thinking about this for a couple of days now and i have come up with an assessment: DJ has a tremendous amount of talent and he will be a force, but throw him on the biggest stages in golf and he chokes like i do in Florida!

Ironically, his blow up at the US Open, does rival yours at PGA National.

Ironically, his blow up at the US Open, does rival yours at PGA National.

pffft! he's got nothing on me when it comes to closing out a round! seriously though, his performances on bigger stages have been lack luster. he did beat the german out of martin kaymer in the singles at the RC, but kaymer looked way out of sorts.

pffft! he's got nothing on me when it comes to closing out a round! seriously though, his performances on bigger stages have been lack luster. he did beat the german out of martin kaymer in the singles at the RC, but kaymer looked way out of sorts.

Yeah, I always will look at that as a possible turning point if DJ ends up getting past all of this. It could also be that Kaymer was just missing a lego piece, but I think DJ really showed something there. He was AWFUL leading up to it, and took over.

A little early to tell and he is young, but yes he is. That said, I think he'll get off that train and change the trend. Too much talent and being "calm and relaxed" will overcome what's happened so far.

Yeah, I always will look at that as a possible turning point if DJ ends up getting past all of this. It could also be that Kaymer was just missing a lego piece, but I think DJ really showed something there. He was AWFUL leading up to it, and took over.

i agree, and will be interested in seeing how he responds in 2011!! he was bad up until the singles and he should be happy he drew kaymer or he may still be on his bender!

A little early to tell and he is young, but yes he is. That said, I think he'll get off that train and change the trend. Too much talent and being "calm and relaxed" will overcome what's happened so far.

wonder how that happens?

That brings up another question. If he continues to be "calm and relaxed", do you think he can reach certain levels? And is it only "calm and relaxed" and not the big brother "hyper and anxious"?

One more thing to add to this little equation, is that 2011 is a contract year for DJ.

One more thing to add to this little equation, is that 2011 is a contract year for DJ.

no kidding! he could be a very valuable free agent! if that's the case, i'll be curious to see how he handles that kind of pressure. that's a lot of money on the line.

you know, i see him as a nike guy myself.

i see him as a nike guy myself.

I think there are a few people at the TM building that are afraid of that very thing.

I think there are a few people at the TM building that are afraid of that very thing.

as they should be. for a big, lanky, choking weirdo, he's very popular and marketable, and has tremendous upside. now that i know he's in a contract year, i look forward to seeing how he responds.

Some people just perform better calm and relaxed, but I think eventually it catches up with most people...time will tell.

He's going to make a boat load of money with even a mediocre season next year. He's going to get TV time and I think he'll have a good season.

Going off 3rd party tour sources only, I can say that DJ was offered a contract renewal by TM/adidas Golf and rejected that offer. Apparently it was WAY too low for what his agent wanted to see. Someone else will jump on him and take a HUGE plunge financially. But are his people looking for TW/Phil kind of money? Or are they looking for Camilo kind of money? That is the question.

Going off 3rd party tour sources only, I can say that DJ was offered a contract renewal by TM/adidas Golf and rejected that offer. Apparently it was WAY too low for what his agent wanted to see. Someone else will jump on him and take a HUGE plunge financially. But are his people looking for TW/Phil kind of money? Or are they looking for Camilo kind of money? That is the question.
I am sure they are shooting for the moon, but need to come back to reality. Win some majors first there buddy. I think TM would be crazy to let him go, but then again they have worked with him, so there might be more to it beyond the talent and now we are getting into personality/human issues. But what do I know?

Shake and bake!

i'm sure they're looking for tw/phil kind of money. i mean, the guy is seriously legit and a threat to win multiple majors. the question is: what company can offer him that kind of money? he very well could be a nike guy. or maybe mizuno as a dark horse, he is a serious golfer afterall.

i'm sure they're looking for tw/phil kind of money. i mean, the guy is seriously legit and a threat to win multiple majors. the question is: what company can offer him that kind of money? he very well could be a nike guy. or maybe mizuno as a dark horse, he is a serious golfer afterall.

then you have to go with titleist haha

Back