Books for me, thanks. Our house is full of books, and I'm glad it is. I read in bed every night. I don't want to settle in with a good kindle. I love the feel of a book in my hands.

Kevin

I'm the same way at home. My home is full of books but when you are on airplane 32+ weeks a year it is nice not to have to lug 3 or 4 around with me every week

Just ordered the wife a new 3G Black one today as a matter of fact.

A gift for putting up with my club ho'ing. She's awesome.

I'd like to get one too though, bought my mom one for xmas last year and she's up to like 120 books on it already lol. I love to read.

I do too, but I also buy a lot of used books. We browse Half Priced Books at least a couple times a month.

Kevin

i could spend days in a library... but stick me in a barnes n nobles and im in heaven

I initially was skeptical about my ability to transition to the Kindle; I loved the heft, feel and smell of a book in my hand. However, I have to admit that these days, I actually dislike reading non-Kindle books. I find that with its leather cover, the Kindle still feels book-like -- and this pretty much sates my jones for actual books. As a corollary to this situation, I remember that when PCs were first becoming more commonplace, I couldn't imagine actually creating papers and reports via keyboards: I needed to feel the pen in my hand and watch it put ink to paper. Now? Not so much, lol.

GC, the Kindle is black and white only, since it utilizes e-ink. I should mention that one of the things I dislike about the Kindle is that it is not as convenient to go back in a book to search for characters, scenes, etc. that you might need to refresh your memory when you pick up a story. I'm a visual person (I remember where things are on a page) and I miss the inability to make use of that skill.

Still, I wouldn't be without my Kindle.

Kim

So for the holidays JB got me a Kindle because he knows how much I love to read. I haven't had the free time to read much these past few months but he got me a ton of bath things along with the kindle so I can learn to relax again. I would love some recommendations of books or authors since I feel like I am out of the loop these days.

I love a good thriller or murder mystery but to be honest I like just about anything.

So for the holidays JB got me a Kindle because he knows how much I love to read. I haven't had the free time to read much these past few months but he got me a ton of bath things along with the kindle so I can learn to relax again. I would love some recommendations of books or authors since I feel like I am out of the loop these days.

I love a good thriller or murder mystery but to be honest I like just about anything.
My wife loves the pendergast detective novels from Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I always buy her those when a new one comes out. I only read Cabinet ofCuriosities and it was enjoyable.

Don't drop the Kindle in the bath.

Is there a third category?

Forget the Kindle and get an iPad. The iPad incorporates the look of a real book, with the convenience of the Kindle. Plus... its Magical!!! Who can argue with Magical?

My wife loves the pendergast detective novels from Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I always buy her those when a new one comes out. I only read Cabinet ofCuriosities and it was enjoyable.

I will look that up. Thank you!

Don't drop the Kindle in the bath.

Haha, the first thing I said was that I need a waterproof case just in case I do drop it in the bath.

Is there a third category?

Forget the Kindle and get an iPad. The iPad incorporates the look of a real book, with the convenience of the Kindle. Plus... its Magical!!! Who can argue with Magical?

Except if you want to read it in bed next to someone or in the daylight. Nothing wrong with an oversize IPod. The IPad does many things well. However despite it having ebook functions, it is not the same as a Kindle or a Nook based on THOUSANDS of reviews.

Except if you want to read it in bed next to someone or in the daylight. Nothing wrong with an oversize IPod. The IPad does many things well. However despite it having ebook functions, it is not the same as a Kindle or a Nook based on THOUSANDS of reviews.

You are correct on those points. I do prefer it still. I just love the way so much attention has been payed to make it appear and act like a real book. That being said it does suck in direct daylight and it kills your eyes if read in the dark. You have me there.

You are correct on those points. I do prefer it still. I just love the way so much attention has been payed to make it appear and act like a real book. That being said it does suck in direct daylight and it kills your eyes if read in the dark. You have me there.

Not to mention that it will light a room in the dark. Whereas the ink like screen uses a book light like a regular book. I love technology and think the IPad is a great device. Not for me at that price (even being a Mac user) due to limitations, but for pure reading, it cannot hold a candle to the Kindle or Nook. And with Amazon behind the Kindle, it will continue to be improved.

I was testing the ipad for work for a few weeks, saw some good things, and some i didn't like for the business enviornment. I am thinking of going with a kindle. Price point is better, and the iPad is more than I need.

anyone with any additional feedback specifically regarding wear on your eyes after using the Kindle for a few hours straight? That would be my only concern, not based on any experience, just theoretically.

anyone with any additional feedback specifically regarding wear on your eyes after using the Kindle for a few hours straight? That would be my only concern, not based on any experience, just theoretically.

I can tell you after messing around with the one I just got for GG, my questioning that same thing is gone. It looks almost identical to reading a book and it also appears fake (like a paper sheet over a screen). It is that darn good. I researched this thing forever on this subject. I spoke to Captain Golf (forum member here) about it since he is a pilot and uses his on trips a lot. He says he has never had a single issue with it. He also has a IPad and Netbook and uses those almost only for net surfing. Whereas the Kindle is his pride and joy for reading.

GG I just read an incredible book. The Shadow of the Wind. Great read. Another great book that I was very surprised that I loved was Pillars of the Earth. In recent memory those are the 2 books that I couldn't put down

I just got the new Kindle for my wife this past weekend. She had been reading ebooks on her iPhone (including Pillars of the Earth....more than 5000 iPhone screens long), and it hurt my eyes to watch her do it. She still has not had a chance to download a book (she's actually reading the manual this time), but I think that she'll understand why I bought her the Kindle rather than an iPad after using it for awhile.

I still have my eyes on an iPad2 in the Spring, but as a replacement for a laptop, not as an e-reader.

Does anyone have any recommendations on cover/cases?

I got a leather cover for my kindle. I can open the cover just like a real book. BTW, I'm a voracious reader. I always used to carry 2-3 books to read when I wasn't on stage in rehearsals or on the subway, train, etc. Now, I only have my opera scores in my backpack. I have 60 (and counting) books at my disposal! I love it!

I just checked Amazon. They have great covers in many different colors. I may buy a couple of different ones with different colors, etc.

Last edited:
Question Mrs Wulff and I were looking at both the kindle and the nook tonight and i was wondering how much it was to download books for each system?

I just got my kindle about one month ago. I downloaded about 50 books for free! Mostly classics. Check Amazon for other prices. There are a LOT of books for 99 cents. Of course, the newer the book, the higher the price. New books can be $10-15.

I just went to Amazon and now I have 118 books! Almost all of them were FREE!

Last edited:
I just got my kindle about one month ago. I downloaded about 50 books for free! Mostly classics. Check Amazon for other prices. There are a LOT of books for 99 cents. Of course, the newer the book, the higher the price. New books can be $10-15.

I just went to Amazon and now I have 105 books! Almost all of them were FREE!

Thanks for that info. Does anyone know the price for books on the nook?

Thanks for that info. Does anyone know the price for books on the nook?

About the same RW. I researched both for a long time before deciding on the Kindle. It really came down to one simple thing for me. Amazon is doing well financially and Barnes & Noble is not.

Just grabbed one of these for the gf for Christmas. Decided on the Kindle after using both at Best Buy. For me the Kindle just seemed to be built a little better, price was pretty much the same so that wasnt a factor and they only had the wifi versions, no 3G. Not a fan of the white look of the Nook and the Kindle has the keyboard which Id think would make searching for book titles easier. Reviews lean toward the Kindle too.

Back