TaylorMade Blind Ball Testing Results

Played today and here is an update to earlier posts I made.

I am noticing some loss in yardage off drives and a little off irons as well, I tend to put the ball out there a good ways on drives(although they dont always go straight)so its not really that big of a deal, but comes into play in having to use more club for my approach shot. The ball is soft, no denying that, some people dont like the feel off of the driver and irons because of that and I have no problem with it at all, I like it actually. I still know when I hit one off the toe, its not mushy but not a rock either. I would give it 7 out of 10 only because im losing distance.

Iron shots feel good coming off the r9's, I hit a high ball and this plays to my normal ball flight. I am noticing I can draw or fade it more, thats not a bad thing but im not a solid iron player so it can get crazy if I miss hit one and that side spin takes over. But the feel is good, I was using a penta to and it actually felt softer than that ball coming off the irons, im loosing some distance but its kind of not fair to compare it to the penta since I seem to hit that ball farther than any ball. Its a great ball off the irons if you like that soft feel. Give it a 8.5 out of 10, distance loss again comes into play. But again this is just for me, wont be the same for everyone.

I love the feel off of the wedges, it feels great. Everything i could ask for as far as feel. On full shots I can get it to hold with minimal roll out. Half wedge shots and chips as I have said before, I just cant get it to hold for me. I like to go at the flag instead of playing bump and run so thats whats hurting me, when playing for that extra roll out, Im hoping I have a back pin location so I can hit the front and let it roll because if the pin is at the front, no way can I hit this on the green and make it stop before the hole, I have to use a flop shot or chip it to where it hits about 7 feet before the green. Now in saying all that, if I played a bump and run style game then I would game it, but I cant bump and run on every hole so thats where my biggest concern comes in. Feel is great, full wedge shots do good but im usually not playing a full wedge shot most of the time and for that I give it a 6 out of 10, will say this again though, it could be a 9 out of 10 if I played a bump and run style game.

Putter, no better ball IMO off of the putter. Its that simple, I can control the speed, the feel is SOFT and I love it. By far the best feeling IMO out of the balls I have used against it. (Penta, RX, E6, and Z-Star) I give it a 11 out of 10.

Once again im left with the question, how can this ball feel so soft off of the putter,driver, irons, wedges but yet I cant make it spin around the green?

If I was able to somehow figure out a way to make it hold on half wedge shots then I would game it every day. I would take the distance loss off the driver and irons for the feel of it coming off of the putter. If TM ends up selling these I dont think it will be a very expensive ball, honestly thinking in the $18-$20 range and if it is that cheap I definitely encourage everyone to buy a box and test them out for your game. Some people see no distance loss, TC is throwing up mid 70 scores with it, so it all just depends on the person. Very interested to see what ball this is and whether or not TM puts these on the market.

I got out for a round yesterday so I will add to my previous findings. Previously I posted results on chips/pitches so I won't say much more about that as my findings are similar.

Driver: Nice feel, not too spinny, but a little more than my regular B330-RX. Distance is comparable. Still has a very nice feel off the driver. My swing speed is about 105mph.

Irons: I had a HORRIBLE ball striking day with my irons so I don't even know if my comments are worth posting. I will just say that the ball felt fine, it just didn't go where it was supposed to. I will try to post a better report after another round.

Putting: Super nice feel. Soft, easy to get a feel for distance. Since everyone else has said this too I won't elaborate, just echo their comments.

Overall I would give this ball a 8 out of 10.

Categorized scores (0-10 rating scale):

Driver: 7
Irons: 7
Wedges: 7.5
Putting: 10

I played with these again, this time for the entire round. It was a new course, with lots of blind shots, so I ended up teeing off with a 3i for all par4/5 holes except for 2.

Off the long irons, it still felt pretty good. With my mid and short irons though, the ball felt and sounded slightly clicky. The wind was blowing between 10-20 mph and it was about 65* outside.

Like others said, off the putter, it was still buttery smooth. It's just so unfortunate that I can't switch balls when putting on the green...

Great reviews everyone!

Sent using Tapatalk please forgive my spelling

I'm going to playing another round with these on Friday, maybe sooner depending what days I can get out.

The chips and pitches. Having spent a lot more time with this ball on the practice green the last week I have a new appreciation for it. The ball flight seems to go higher on chips than other balls (RX, PEnta, B330, Tx4). Which was nice on the longer pitches where I couldn't bump n run. I didnt leave it short. Sure it rolled out more towards the hole but I had more shots on the green than in front. The Wilson Zip flew high too but didn't feel as substantial as the TM Test. I'm going to on course compare the TM test and Zip when I play again just so I can see them head to head. I am lucky to have a great short game practice area with a huge sand bunker and a large area for chips.

Not much new info here but I wanted to post my thoughts.

Like all of the updates everyone!

Is anyone NOT comparing these to other balls and just trying them by themselves?

Man there are some great reviews on this ball! Some folks like em and some folks just don't see playing them. I am getting antsy to find out what they are and I know JB is getting tired of saying just hold on guys. Maybe soon huh?

Is anyone NOT comparing these to other balls and just trying them by themselves?

Hanks, I think it's just human nature that makes us compare something that is a relative unknown to us. There are just characteristics of this ball that seems non conforming to other balls out there in the market. The one thing that comes to mind is the relative softness off certain shots but the extremely durable cover which most folks don't equate together.

I played another 18 this past Saturday with these and I'll post my findings along with some pics when I can sit and type for a long stretch.

The round or so that I was able to play, I played only with this ball, and jotted quick notes as I went along. I wanted to try and evaluate the performance of this ball alone. If I get the chance, I might try to play a one-man, two-ball type of game, but it's tough out here as the courses are hardly ever empty enough.

Played round 3 and 4 with the TM ball....Still like it...These last 4 rounds with this ball (82, 82, 82 & 83) were the best run of the year...Made a lot of putts...Absolutely love this ball on the greens...Rolls forever...Hard to leave one short....Like I said, I'm a 14/15 handicap with a slow swing speed...I found it impossible to stop using 1/2 wedges and short chips....I tried with a CG14 with Zip Grooves and a CG15 (both 56*)...No luck...A little better with the CG15....Didn't mind the run out once I adjusted for it....Iron shots are smooth and straight...FW woods were different...It felt like I hit some heavy, but the distance was greater than my old ball (Noodle)...Must be the different feel...A little longer off the driver than the Noodle, just a softer feel/sound...I used 1 ball for 3 rounds, very durable...As I stated before, I would play these if they were moerately priced....

I did for the majority of the review. I didnt want any outside facts other than myself and the ball. I just started really comparing because the ball was doing so well Im considering switching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really great reviews!!
Has anybody compared the test ball to the new TM Burner TP?

Played round 3 and 4 with the TM ball....Still like it...These last 4 rounds with this ball (82, 82, 82 & 83) were the best run of the year...Made a lot of putts...Absolutely love this ball on the greens...Rolls forever...Hard to leave one short....Like I said, I'm a 14/15 handicap with a slow swing speed...I found it impossible to stop using 1/2 wedges and short chips....I tried with a CG14 with Zip Grooves and a CG15 (both 56*)...No luck...A little better with the CG15....Didn't mind the run out once I adjusted for it....Iron shots are smooth and straight...FW woods were different...It felt like I hit some heavy, but the distance was greater than my old ball (Noodle)...Must be the different feel...A little longer off the driver than the Noodle, just a softer feel/sound...I used 1 ball for 3 rounds, very durable...As I stated before, I would play these if they were moerately priced....

If your shooting those scores, why would you not game this everyday? Nice shooting!

Well, while I am trying to save up for another round, I went out and hit flops.

I now have to go and find them.
Yikes. Two are in tall grass. And it is raining. Ugh.

I dont think I will game these. I like them off the long sticks and putter, but they just do not check up. The way I play, that wont work.

If your shooting those scores, why would you not game this everyday? Nice shooting!

Thanks.....I'll play these until the dozen runs out and WILL buy more

great stuff guys. doing a review of this nature takes some time and some effort and i appreciate all of those that have been prompt and honest with their reviews!

Spoiler
so when do we find out what this ball is? lol

great stuff guys. doing a review of this nature takes some time and some effort and i appreciate all of those that have been prompt and honest with their reviews!

Spoiler
so when do we find out what this ball is? lol

Most likely today.

awesome news! Can't wait to see the identity of this ball!

fantastic news! this has driven me crazy, but in a good way.

awesome, I cant wait to find out about this ball.

Finally! I've been waiting!

I personally want to thank everybody that took part in this testing that we did. Our goal when this idea came up was just like our goal with everything we do here, which is rip through the marketing and determine what works for each person. What I think we found out was that this ball worked great for many, okay for some, and not well for a few. What does that mean to me? It means all the stuff out there to "play the best ball like the tour pros" means very little. And that each person should truly find the best ball for them.

This was a great time for me to see and read everybody's opinion on something without any affects of marketing weighing in. The next post by me in this thread will be a note from TaylorMade about the ball. Again, thank you all as this was great fun and you guys/gals did a fantastic job.

I personally want to thank everybody that took part in this testing that we did. Our goal when this idea came up was just like our goal with everything we do here, which is rip through the marketing and determine what works for each person. What I think we found out was that this ball worked great for many, okay for some, and not well for a few. What does that mean to me? It means all the stuff out there to "play the best ball like the tour pros" means very little. And that each person should truly find the best ball for them.

This was a great time for me to see and read everybody's opinion on something without any affects of marketing weighing in. The next post by me in this thread will be a note from TaylorMade about the ball. Again, thank you all as this was great fun and you guys/gals did a fantastic job.

I thought this was a great idea. I wish I could have been involved in it, but I would not have been able to give this ball the type of testing it needed. I can't wait to see what this ball is and how it is marketed. Kudos to Taylormade and THP for this. I hope it is something that can be done again.

A note from TaylorMade:

"Thank you to everyone who participated in the blind golf ball testing from TaylorMade. We hope you found the experience to be enjoyable. We were captivated reading the positive remarks regarding your personal experiences with the ball. The majority opinion seemed to be that the ball performed admirably off the tee and exceptionally well around the greens. There were comments on the ball’s durability and softness. In fact, many speculated that they were playing the next premium tour ball from TaylorMade.

We are pleased to announce that the ball that everyone has been playing is the new Burner Tour. The Burner Tour, $21.99 per dozen, is designed to deliver maximum distance and exceptional feel to a broad range of player types, a conclusion we saw come to life in our sample group at THP. Additionally, the Burner Tour’s soft and thin cover promotes softer feel, higher spin and increased control.

Thank you again and we greatly appreciate your participation and genuine feedback in this unique partnership with THP!"

Back