Special Milling and?or Roll Grooves on Putters, Really Work?

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I know what it's supposed to do and I know what the companies say, but hype or fact?

Fact in the aspect of cameras actually show it working.

However many believe that while cameras are picking it up, the difference is negligible.

Fact in the aspect of cameras actually show it working.

However many believe that while cameras are picking it up, the difference is negligible.

Thanks JB, but that brings my next set of questions, lol. I'm sure the camera shots are of professionals or someone rather good at putting. Can the milled bars or grabby surface effect a roll differently if say your stroke is off, or the loft and lie are wrong?

Also, why are more pro's not using these?

Not sure I can answer that. The cameras are usually shot with robots from what we have seen. Check out GG's video she shot at the Oven.

As for why more pros are not using them....Im not sure we can say that anymore. Yes! just won, Rife has won, Method has won 2 majors. Lots of grooves out there.

Thats a great video, I remember seeing it posted before. Really just wanted a little more info on it, especially what surface makes for the best roll. I'm working on designing my own putter to some degree and info is king.

Personally, I love the feel of brass or copper. Add that feel with the right weight, grooves and ball, guess thats the 600 million dollar question for everyone, haha.

Due,

The roll grooves do help get the ball rolling end over end quicker.

i use a Rife Antigua very nearly bought a Yes Donna. Grooves work baby!

almost everytime i play a round with someone new they invariably say "geez that ball rolls so smooth" it's because of the putter not me.

they work without question. My only hesitation with using one is if i know i am going to be putting on furry greens, due to the fact the have only 2* loft they dont get up and out of the grass very well, but my home track is always fast and hard greens.

"get your groove on"

I like the grooves on my putter. I don't know if it would feel any different to the exact same putter without grooves, in my hands.

Scientifically, they work. But, I guess you've got to be catching the ball at the right part of the swing to get the benefit (if any).

That's a great video. I really need to look at a putter that has some type of finished face other than the scratches & dings that my old hand me down blade putter has on it.

As much as I like the idea of the grooves, my putter doesn't have grooves and I don't miss them. I seriously doubt, for my game, I would notice a difference in my stroke counts. Putting is such a personal thing. There are no universal truths when it comes to putters and putting.

I just went through the process of dipping my toe in the water of grooved putters and can attest they do work. I tried a Yes! Gina, Rife Montserrat and Nike Method. They all rolled the ball better than the insert and milled face putters I have used. Personally I liked the Method the best.

Also, if you are one who uses a forward press do your homework before choosing because the Yes! putter grooves are made in a way that impart spin by the ball catching the sharper top side of the grooves and the Rifes only have 2* of loft. So you may need to have some bending done or adjust your stroke for optimum results.

Last edited:
A lot of these grooved putters have 2º lofts and I wonder how much of a difference that makes as well. Greens these days are so much better than they used to be (so they say) and that a loft of 4º is not necessary anymore. I would love to see a robot test between a grooved 2º putter, a non-grooved 2º putter, a grooved 4º putter and a non-grooved 4º putter.

Yes! = 2º
Method = 2º
Rife = 2º I believe

Not to say that it is the loft and not the groove technology, but I would be interested to see a scientific test so see the differences in ball roll.

I saw seemoreputters online a bit ago and I was really hoping he was going to throw out his 2 cents.

I noticed a significant difference when I went from the Cleveland Classic BRZ to the Nike Method putter as far as roll goes. From my point of view the ball just gets rolling so much better and seems to track much better.

As the video above and Gene Nead pointed out, roll grooves do indeed get the ball rolling end over end quicker. The video evidence seems to prove that, but to say one putter is better than another simply because it has roll grooves would be a huge stretch, IMHO. There's way too many configurations from weight, face type, balance, offset, loft.

I may find I'm on the wrong track here, but my hope is to find what works the best for me in all those other areas, then add the roll grooves to that. The putter that's coming now has most of those attributes that have best fit me before with 3* loft, 350 head weight, face balanced, yet adding the roll grooves to this configuration may create a completely different animal still.

Each person thrives on something different and trial & error is possibly the best any of us can do to find what works best.

I would like to blame this thread for the purchase of a Rife Cayman Brac putter. It peaked my interest and I jumped on it. It better damn work and lower my putts per round.

Well.. based on this fact and my obsession with getting spin on balls [mack daddy's anyone?], it looks like I'm going to have to ear mark the $1000 or whatever its' going to cost to get me a machine putter with those vertically milled grooves.

/end dream

I would like to blame this thread for the purchase of a Rife Cayman Brac putter. It peaked my interest and I jumped on it. It better damn work and lower my putts per round.

Getting a good roll is just a start, you also have to aim, lol. Good luck with the new stick, how about a picture?

Well.. based on this fact and my obsession with getting spin on balls [mack daddy's anyone?], it looks like I'm going to have to ear mark the $1000 or whatever its' going to cost to get me a machine putter with those vertically milled grooves.

/end dream

I can't even dream a $1000 worth, haha

My dream is a dream of intangibility I'm afraid.
University is a bit of a sapper when it comes to club funds...

Getting a good roll is just a start, you also have to aim, lol. Good luck with the new stick, how about a picture?

I will post one of my entire collection. Including the new SeeMore.

If it feels good and u think it puts a good roll on it, you will sink more.

How about 2?

DSC01386.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

Sweet looking Rife there Blu, any pictures of the face? I love the smooth easy lines to this putter.

Sweet looking Rife there Blu, any pictures of the face? I love the smooth easy lines to this putter.
DSC01404.jpg

The feel and roll off of this putter is special. The putter has a 5:30 toe hang. More than anything I have ever used. But it is a fantastic putter.

Back