Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I kind of llike a little more of a compact head, but I got over that when I hit it.

I don't really mean the small head. To me that's not really a huge factor but the small head + metallic/ silverish.. just not my look. I'm not one to really care for looks though so I'll say it again, if it performs well I will try it.

From watching Jrod hit mine, I would agree with your last sentence. He had a pretty exaggerated draw with my R flex, but he normally plays an x-flex in everything else.

That is definately a symptom of a shaft that is too weak for a swing. My intent with my previous post was more about the way the leading edge and hosel relate to each other such that it has the appearence of an iron with minimal offset. When the line is offset either in front or too far behind the hosel I find the hybrids hard to get comfortable with and when trying to hit a specific shot it can be very easy to overcook the intended shot shape.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation :)

Sorry it took so long! Here are some pictures:

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

Looks awesome Yoccos, I can't wait to get mine in. I hope it is in the next few days.

Great pics! That is one sweet looking club. Can't wait until this is released to the rest of us.

Great pics guys! This was probably already asked, but could one of you compare your distance with the 20.5* to a 5 wood (mine is 19*)? I'm interested in how they compare in distance if you have the opportunity to try it.

Initial Impressions:

Still a beautiful club :) It looked kind of big in that first picture but I compared it to my 3dx DC and it was the same size. I love the shaft and the graphics. It comes standard with a Lamkin grip and it was pretty good. I absolutely still love the headcover! It just really makes the whole package work. Nice touch and I hope to see more headcovers like this one from Cleveland.

I hit a large bucket. It took a few swings to get used to the weight. The sound is great and I loved the feel. It has a different feel from other hybrids and a different sound imo. Definitely for the better. Just think, great iron shot (forged/cast/beat out of a rock etc type iron).

The ball is a rocket. It really gets up and goes. You don't really notice how far it goes until it hits the ground and you have a measuring point.

I'm gushing but most people do with their first few times with a club. I dont want to say too much mainly because I'm still learning this club. I get out a lot because I love the game and have a very understanding girlfriend :) Because of the holiday coming up I'm sure it will be mainly range session till next week and I plan on heading to PGA SS for some hard numbers. Basically, you will see a lot of me here as well as everyone else. Ill do my best to hit the shots you want and answer any questions.

I also want to add you can still hit bad shots lol. I did go after a few shots because I know it was worrying some. You can still go after a shot with this club. Just make sure you're on target lol.

For those I dont know, I bit dry at times and not really full of myself. Ask Rex... :)

Nicely done! Always tough to not give to much info since its only the first time but still give enough to help others. Good job buddy.

Spoiler
You still need to work on the SS so you can brag. haha

I hope so too. It really is even more impressive in hand.
Looks awesome Yoccos, I can't wait to get mine in. I hope it is in the next few days.

You and me both!!!!!!! It was worth the wait for me!
Great pics! That is one sweet looking club. Can't wait until this is released to the rest of us.

HA! I was just trying to give you your fix earlier!
Nice pictures man, Gawd that club looks awesome!

I will do that. Anything for you KB :) When I go to the PGA SS, Ill hit a 5w with the Mashie. Any particular model? Without GPS its hard to say how far this went tonight but I think this could easily be a good gap between 4i and 3w (15*).
Great pics guys! This was probably already asked, but could one of you compare your distance with the 20.5* to a 5 wood (mine is 19*)? I'm interested in how they compare in distance if you have the opportunity to try it.

I have hit this year's Cleveland 5 wood and the 2011 Cleveland 5 wood. I swear the 2011 had to be at least 15-20 yards longer for me. I'm just wondering how their hybrids compare to any 5 wood but it would be neat if you could compare it to their own brand from one year to the next.

WIll do KB!
I have hit this year's Cleveland 5 wood and the 2011 Cleveland 5 wood. I swear the 2011 had to be at least 15-20 yards longer for me. I'm just wondering how their hybrids compare to any 5 wood but it would be neat if you could compare it to their own brand from one year to the next.

Haha. You know it!!!!!

Nicely done! Always tough to not give to much info since its only the first time but still give enough to help others. Good job buddy.

Spoiler
You still need to work on the SS so you can brag. haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey JB or anyone that cares to answer. What kind of market is this club directed to. Obviously to average people but will be seeing it in tour pros bags? Is it that good?

hey JB or anyone that cares to answer. What kind of market is this club directed to. Obviously to average people but will be seeing it in tour pros bags? Is it that good?

Try to help you out best I can. I think its directed at all kinds of golfers from high handicappers to mid to scratch golfers. If you notice Cleveland sent it out to 2 people below a 6, 3 around 15 and 1 around the 25 area. The Miyazaki shaft from what I have heard, makes the Cleveland clubs even better(all of there clubs will have it them for 2011). Its a tour level shaft, but can be used by all golfers because of the flex code, I think it will be on tour but thats only my opinion and just based on the things I have read. Im sure a few guys already have it but we just dont know it yet.

Kelly I am not following do you want to compare the Mashie vs a Cleveland 5 wood or versus their hybrid? I have both and could help if you let me know more info.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Nice pics and write up Yoc, thanks buddy I'm really glad you liked it so far and I look forward to keeping tabs on how it performs for you after the initial love at first sight period is over.

Thanks bridges.
Try to help you out best I can. I think its directed at all kinds of golfers from high handicappers to mid to scratch golfers. If you notice Cleveland sent it out to 2 people below a 6, 3 around 15 and 1 around the 25 area. The Miyazaki shaft from what I have heard, makes the Cleveland clubs even better(all of there clubs will have it them for 2011). Its a tour level shaft, but can be used by all golfers because of the flex code, I think it will be on tour but thats only my opinion and just based on the things I have read. Im sure a few guys already have it but we just dont know it yet.

Any club is two separate components when looking at it for tour usage. THe head and the shaft. Both will be used on tour if that is the question. In fact looking at their lineup of staff, I would bet that we see the head in a few players bags early in 2011.

As for the hybrid shaft from Miyazaki. Its already in a LOT of tour players bags.

great stuff so far yoccos. thanks for the pics and for your initial thoughts. as far as why i selected which model i selected, i decided to go w/the stock stiff flex, w/the "stock" international flex code. again, i chose to go this route b/c i felt whereas there may be a couple who would be interested in reading about my experiences w/an xstiff Mashie, but that far more would be interested in reading and following along w/my experiences if i had the stiff flex. technically, i should be in a stiff flex anyway, i just prefer the low launching characteristics of an xstiff. at any rate, it is what it is, if someone enjoys what we are covering and they see some merit in our reviews and they decide they want a Mashie, they should get what shaft is fit for them. all of my miyazaki "fitting" experience has taken place in Florida, w/JB, and while my swing speed should say no to xstiff, hitting balls and seeing ball flight says yes to xstiff.

i'm loving all the questions for everyone and i can't reiterate that even though there's only 6 testers, forum participation is what makes the testing process so much fun. thanks to everyone who's asking questions and checking in. it's very much appreciated.

Last edited:
i'm loving all the questions for everyone and i can't reiterate that even though there's only 5 testers, forum participation is what makes the testing process so much fun. thanks to everyone who's asking questions and checking in. it's very much appreciated.

Check your math again dood!

Check your math again dood!

doh! my bad. chalk it up to a typo. didn't mean to cheapen the experience.

There have been a lot of people talk about whether they should play woods or hybrids. I know it is an individual thing depending on your swing. I tend to reach for my fairway woods more often on the long shots but I would really like to know how the longer hybrids compare to a fairway wood in playability and distance.

I plan to test them like this when I get the chance (hopefully pre-release with our Cleveland rep).

20.5* hybrid against 19* wood (both 2011 Cleveland line). Hitting them off the ground which one am I most consistent with and what kind of distance do I get in comparison. It would also be interesting to see how the 20.5* hybrid does against any other 5 wood of your choice already on the market. I will be testing the 15* & 17* 3 woods as well and will probably compare them to the lower lofted Mashie.

Hope that clears up any confusion. Thanks guys!

Kelly I am not following do you want to compare the Mashie vs a Cleveland 5 wood or versus their hybrid? I have both and could help if you let me know more info.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Back