9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
We THPers are a group pretty prone to buying online and sometimes that means ordering from other countries. Like me for example, I've recently purchased a couple things from the states. The first was my new Ogio bag and on top of the price and shipping a $13 import charge was tacked on. Next when I bought One-T's driver shaft, a $68 import charge was added on. Now today my wedges arrived back from Vibrant and a $47 import charge was added on. This last one really confuses me because there wasn't one when I got my putter back from them. I guess I should add the courier in all three instances was UPS. So on three purchases, I've had to spend an extra $120 on stupid import fees. And for what? Sorry for ranting, but this really ticks me off. I will not be ordering anything from the States anytime soon.

I guess my question is does this work both ways? When people from the US order things from Canada, do you face similar charges?

My first question is why would an American order something from Canada lol. I hate it too 9i. The thp store purchase didn't require duty which is wicked.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

My first question is why would an American order something from Canada lol. I hate it too 9i. The thp store purchase didn't require duty which is wicked.

Yeah, that is awesome! THP gets it. Somehow I think UPS doesn't.

I haven't had it happen to me personally but I do think that we can face similar charges. It's all about declaring the "right" value when filling out the forms. I never say anything is over $25 because that usually will get through. Anything over that and they may open the package and assess additional charges.

We THPers are a group pretty prone to buying online and sometimes that means ordering from other countries. Like me for example, I've recently purchased a couple things from the states. The first was my new Ogio bag and on top of the price and shipping a $13 import charge was tacked on. Next when I bought One-T's driver shaft, a $68 import charge was added on. Now today my wedges arrived back from Vibrant and a $47 import charge was added on. This last one really confuses me because there wasn't one when I got my putter back from them. I guess I should add the courier in all three instances was UPS. So on three purchases, I've had to spend an extra $120 on stupid import fees. And for what? Sorry for ranting, but this really ticks me off. I will not be ordering anything from the States anytime soon.

I guess my question is does this work both ways? When people from the US order things from Canada, do you face similar charges?

We use a mailbox in Washington State and pick stuff up to avoid that charge...

I think USPS doesn't charge upto a certain point, whereas ups and fedex will charge regardless. I think.

Maybe, however, I have ship a lot of stuff via UPS also and that hasn't happened. I had someone at a UPS store tell me about the declare value. It seems to work, but of course now that I am saying something that will change.

I think USPS doesn't charge upto a certain point, whereas ups and fedex will charge regardless. I think.

DO NOT USE UPS!!!!!!!!!
I cannot stress that enough.
We import car parts quite a bit and UPS will take you for a ride every single time.
Fedex is a bit better, but the postal service is the best.
Slower and less secure, but cheaper.
It really depends on what peace of mind is worth to you I guess, but I have heard of many instances where expensive car parts have fallen off the back of a UPS or Fedex truck.

I haven't had it happen to me personally but I do think that we can face similar charges. It's all about declaring the "right" value when filling out the forms. I never say anything is over $25 because that usually will get through. Anything over that and they may open the package and assess additional charges.

It's weird because Willis never indicated to me if any charges were added to send them down. If there were he never told me. So why am I getting charged to get my own stuff back?

9i,
This is less an issue with the stores in the US or the shippers. And certainly not with UPS or Fedex. If there is a comlaint, talk to your local government. These fees are associated with what is charged. Its not an extra fee from the shipping company or the store. There is no control over it on their end, and certainly they cannot lie when shipping (can be a federal offense).

9i,
This is less an issue with the stores in the US or the shippers. And certainly not with UPS or Fedex. If there is a comlaint, talk to your local government. These fees are associated with what is charged. Its not an extra fee from the shipping company or the store. There is no control over it on their end, and certainly they cannot lie when shipping (can be a federal offense).

I realize that JB, it just sucks. And why was I not charged to get my putter back? If it was the same all across the board, I would be more receptive to it, but seeing as I didn't get charged for my putter, it just makes me mad. I can see when I got my bag from TGW there would be a charge for that. But why on the wedges that I already own? It doesn't make much sense to me. Sorry, I guess this is more rant than anything else.

I realize that JB, it just sucks. And why was I not charged to get my putter back? If it was the same all across the board, I would be more receptive to it, but seeing as I didn't get charged for my putter, it just makes me mad. I can see when I got my bag from TGW there would be a charge for that. But why on the wedges that I already own? It doesn't make much sense to me. Sorry, I guess this is more rant than anything else.

Again, you would have to check with customs, but usually it would be about how it is declared.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Sorry for my ranting and raving. I'm off to dinner with the inlaws. I'll poke my head in again afterwards.

JB is right it generally has to do with how it's declared a lot of times the packages are just picked at random. There is no way to know which package will be picked. And JB is also right that it's on Canada's end not the US. International shipping can definitely be a pain. Sorry for your troubles.

Again, you would have to check with customs, but usually it would be about how it is declared.

JB is right it generally has to do with how it's declared a lot of times the packages are just picked at random. There is no way to know which package will be picked. And JB is also right that it's on Canada's end not the US. International shipping can definitely be a pain. Sorry for your troubles.

Haha, I guess I'm just lucky! Grrrr. I know there's not much I can do about it especially if it is random. Long story short, I got my wedges back today and they look awesome! I'll post pics in the Vibrant thread when I get a chance.

When I buy anything from Lija, I have to pay international fees :( since they are based in Canada. I don't remember how much it was when I last ordered from Lija but I didn't realize it and had called my credit card company to find out what the other charge was. I think it was $15 or around there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my experiences which are many. When I shop online for stuff in the States I always use this little helpful online device to see if it's really worth it.
http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/

I try in most cases not to use UPS and FedEx as there are always high brokerage fees involved. USPS is your friend for USA transactions.
If you have any questions PM me!
Have a great Christmas!

From our experience with shipping - it is totally random which packages get picked and assessed customs duties. We always ship internationally using USPS (unless there's some size or delivery issues with the destination). Some get through quickly, others get stopped and stuck in customs, and assessed fees. We always declare the value (esp for insurance reasons) and never declare it a gift (which is illegal), unless it really is one. It totally does suck b/c you can't really factor in the price (sometimes it gets assesssed, sometimes you don't). Maybe the Canadian gov't is assessing more frequently these days b/c the dollar is relatively weak and more people seem to be ordering from the States? Just a thought...

OH - and @Golf Chick - if you ever need Lija and want to order, give us a buzz. We can special order one-offs if you are interested and won't be assessed fees (but you would have to be CA sales tax).

the UK charges import tax and VAT. VAT currently 17.5 going up to 20% import tax is about the same.
It also seems random whether the package is stopped at customs or not..

Yea the extra charge makes it impossible to get a good deal on anything from the states from a large retailer. :( Stinkin extra chrage ruins it!.

Like people said, if you can get the product declared as very cheap in value it has a much better chance of making it through with no charges. (I think)

I bought a set of Callaway X-20's for $200 and then I got an $65 charge when they got to my door.... :(... Now if I want to sell them I'm def gona loose money instead of make money. Won't be buying from the states again.

*fart noise*

From our experience with shipping - it is totally random which packages get picked and assessed customs duties. We always ship internationally using USPS (unless there's some size or delivery issues with the destination). Some get through quickly, others get stopped and stuck in customs, and assessed fees. We always declare the value (esp for insurance reasons) and never declare it a gift (which is illegal), unless it really is one. It totally does suck b/c you can't really factor in the price (sometimes it gets assesssed, sometimes you don't). Maybe the Canadian gov't is assessing more frequently these days b/c the dollar is relatively weak and more people seem to be ordering from the States? Just a thought...
OH - and @Golf Chick - if you ever need Lija and want to order, give us a buzz. We can special order one-offs if you are interested and won't be assessed fees (but you would have to be CA sales tax).

Last I checked our dollars were still hovering around par. But who knows what really goes on. It's not up to me so I don't know. All I do know is that I've been charged an arm and a leg for it lately and I don't like it!

As mentioned, USPS if your friend. It tends to get through customs quicker and will frequently be picked much less for import duties.

9 Iron: The only way you cannot be assed the fees on returning your wedges would be if they are marked as an RMA return. Since Vibrant wasn't doing warranty work and was providing a service, you can, and were in this case, get dinged.

If a location can't ship it by USPS I won't order from the States unless it's something I can't find anywhere here.

Yea the extra charge makes it impossible to get a good deal on anything from the states from a large retailer. :( Stinkin extra chrage ruins it!.

Like people said, if you can get the product declared as very cheap in value it has a much better chance of making it through with no charges. (I think)

I bought a set of Callaway X-20's for $200 and then I got an $65 charge when they got to my door.... :(... Now if I want to sell them I'm def gona loose money instead of make money. Won't be buying from the states again.

*fart noise*

Ouch....that is awful.

In my experience using USPS will be WAAAAAAAYYYYYY better than UPS or FedEx. For some reason UPS and the others go through independent brokers and can end up being pretty expensive. The ZL head I bought was shipped through USPS and I paid 12 bucks in duties and customs. The S2 I bought came through UPS and ended up with nearly 50% customs and duty charges- 100% due to the broker they used.

But if you think that is bad, trying living in Italy! I bought a used Bobby Jones hybrid in the US for 50 bucks. It was a great deal- but when it arrived the Italian post wanted 45 Euro in customs and duties!!! More than 100% mark up! And FedEx would have charged even more. Now I don't buy outside the EU- unless it's something I can wait for and send to my Canadian address.

It is random. But when you are ordering you can reduce the charges a few ways.

If your friend or relative has bought it for you as a present make sure they declare it as a 'gift'.

If you took it on a visit somewhere forgot it and just want to send it home declare it as a 'personal item being returned'.

Make sure that the shipping company does not include the cost of shipping as part of what they declare (FedEx does this quite a bit)!

Use the national postal system or whatever place you are buying from- it will defiantly reduce or even eliminate some duties charges.

Look up the national limit before duties are applied. In some places its 100.00 in some places its 50.00. Not sure what it is in the US, but its good to know how much you can declare before the duties come into effect.

Last edited:
If you are buying it privately, declare it as a 'gift', or a 'personal item being returned'.

I dont think we should be giving out advice in this form. Lying or purposely giving false information to an item shipping across a nations borders is not necessarily the best idea in terms of being legal.

Back