Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Mashie Review 2

I made it out to a grass range yesterday! Man it was so much better than hitting off of mats. The courses are still closed around here, but I hope to make it out tomorrow if the course opens up.

I am really falling in love with this club. Don’t tell my driver! When you hit it nice and easy it just seems to rocket off of the face forever. I was averaging about 200 to 210 with it. I did notice I have some trouble shaping shots with it. It just seems so forgiving that when I try to shape a shot it ends up going straight. I think this is a really good thing and somewhat of a frustrating point of it. This helps out covering up mishits when you are trying to hit it straight, but it makes it harder for me to shape shots. I really have to work my swing to get a shot to hook or hard fade for me. I think I would rather have a club that hits the ball straight all of the time rather than ease of shot shaping.

My brother-in-law was with me at the range and had a TM Burner with a stiff shaft. I hit his some to compare with the Mashie and noticed the following. The Mashie has more of a thud sound compared to the “ping” sound of the TM hybrid. It is a lot more forgiving of a club than the TM Burner. I noticed that with the TM you had to have a good swing to get the ball to stay straight. The Mashie you could be a little wild and it would still head straight down the range. If I was in the store I think I would be going home with a Mashie over the TM Burner.

All in all, I really do love this club. I can’t wait to see how it goes on the course tomorrow. I also was struggling with my 3w a lot yesterday. This makes me want to try the 2h version a lot and maybe replace my 3w with it.

Dmb012,
Thanks for the review comparing the mashie with the TM burner. I am looking to replace my burner with the mashie.

I did notice I have some trouble shaping shots with it. It just seems so forgiving that when I try to shape a shot it ends up going straight.

Really? Im not very good at shaping shots at all, but I was able to do it pretty easy with the mashie on the few times that I tried. I am having problems with a hook but found it easy to hit a fade or power fade when I wanted. I bet as you get more comfortable with it, you will be able to.

Nice review to!

Umm, they were released here. They are called SuperLaunch Rescues

Yes, but a year later. I guess I should have added that part in. Sorry.

Loving the reviews guys!! Keep up the great work!!

Nice reviews guys, but I would like to know what distances you are averaging with your mashies. I am just curious as to how they compare...thanks.

Nice reviews guys, but I would like to know what distances you are averaging with your mashies. I am just curious as to how they compare...thanks.

I am avg around 200 to 210 with it.

To the guys that are struggling with hooks, any thoughts that a heavier shaft might help that problem? I think that everyone is testing the C.Kua 59 shaft, but I thought I saw in one of the Mashie threads that a heavier shaft would also be an option. I play 70-gram shafts in both my driver and fairway wood, so going to a lighter shaft in the hybrid would be an interesting transition, so I'm curious if some people are struggling with that.

thread skimming alert!

How does that compare to what you had pre-mashie?

I had a TM Burner before and averaged about the same. The thing that is different is my dispersion.

I had a TM Burner before and averaged about the same. The thing that is different is my dispersion.

that's kind of the feeling I got when hitting it at the outing as well, but it was hard to tell because of the wind we were hitting in. Great review so far.

To the guys that are struggling with hooks, any thoughts that a heavier shaft might help that problem? I think that everyone is testing the C.Kua 59 shaft, but I thought I saw in one of the Mashie threads that a heavier shaft would also be an option. I play 70-gram shafts in both my driver and fairway wood, so going to a lighter shaft in the hybrid would be an interesting transition, so I'm curious if some people are struggling with that.

Ya we have discussed that alot in here. I think it has more to do with over swinging than the weight to be honest though. However I would like to try a little bit heavier shaft just to see what the results were. There is an 83 model, but its a really low torque low launching shaft and I dont think any of us would have been happy with that, so we went with the 59 which is a mid/high flight shaft with average torque. Im not sure if they can make the shaft say 70grams or somewere around that but it would be fun to test out.

JB, you think if you special order the shaft they could make it 70grams or any gram you wanted? Just curious, because I know some would probably like to know.

JB, you think if you special order the shaft they could make it 70grams or any gram you wanted? Just curious, because I know some would probably like to know.

There may be one other weight option available, but custom weights will not be offered that I know of.

It could be because I have been playing this shaft for about 6 months in my hybrid already, but I am not seeing any of the minor issues that some are having.

There may be one other weight option available, but custom weights will not be offered that I know of.

It could be because I have been playing this shaft for about 6 months in my hybrid already, but I am not seeing any of the minor issues that some are having.

I thought so..

I think its more user error than the club, because each time out it just gets better and beter.

thread skimming alert!

How does that compare to what you had pre-mashie?

I am hitting the Mashie (20.5*) about 190-200 when I connect correctly. Compre that to my Nickent (18.5*) that this replaced I was getting roughly 180-190 so I would say an extra 5-10 yards with the mashie and a higher ball flight.

TC - Glad you got your Mashie and got to test it out...I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I initially had many of the same problems you experienced...my miss was also a big hook (which is not usually the case for me) and I too had a tough time initially flighting the ball low with the Mashie. After 3-4 more trips to range and me really slowing down my tempo/swing speed everything started to fall into place.

This weekend I'm off to Miami to play at least two rounds and spend some quality time on the range...I'll definitely have some on-course Mashie news next week.

Read through the whole thread, nice job with the reviews. I would like to know if anyone could try hitting the club with something that would give them exact carry and yardages (using a launch monitor).

I am hitting the Mashie (20.5*) about 190-200 when I connect correctly. Compre that to my Nickent (18.5*) that this replaced I was getting roughly 180-190 so I would say an extra 5-10 yards with the mashie and a higher ball flight.

How easy was it to get off the groud? I have the Nicket 5dx 18* and I have a heck of a time getting any air or distance on it- while I do OK with the higher lofts. I would love to find a hybrid I can hit for distance at 18*

How easy was it to get off the groud? I have the Nicket 5dx 18* and I have a heck of a time getting any air or distance on it- while I do OK with the higher lofts. I would love to find a hybrid I can hit for distance at 18*

I dont have the 18.5 TS but with the 20.5, it is very easy to get the ball up and far if you swing the club in the proper manner, that is do not over swing. If you want to know about the 18.5 specifically I am sure one of the other guys will chime in and answer.

Read through the whole thread, nice job with the reviews. I would like to know if anyone could try hitting the club with something that would give them exact carry and yardages (using a launch monitor).

Is there certain information you are looking for? I have a launch monitor here and use it almost daily and would be happy to give you more information if you let me know what you are looking for. Everybody's carry and yardages will obviously be different based on launch conditions and swing numbers.

Biggsy showed some numbers in the other thread I think.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

If there's one thing that I've found to be certain in the short time I've had the mashie, it's that getting it up, and quickly is done with ease, especially off the turf. The glide rail feature does just that, glides. I think it may be one of those hybrids that's just as easy to hit off the deck as it is off a tee.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

Spent time concentrating on the Mashie today and compared it to my other hybrids in terms of ballflight, feel and ease of use. I was indoors at a dome, so it was easy to see how high I hit the ball since it smacked into the end of the dome.

I found that it went higher (or as high) as my 27° hybrid (that I use as a 5i replacement) and I know from previous testing on the course that it goes much farther. It went MUCH higher that my 19.5° hybrid and was MUCH easier to hit. I know they are different lofts, but it really makes me wonder if the 18.5 Mashie or a 5W would be easier to hit than my Fybrid.

There is no comparison in feel. Mashie sounds better and has TONS more feedback.

Mis-hits today were either off the toe with a strong fade or a slight pull. No hooks or any monster pulls.

Hitting a hybrid out of a fairway bunker? That is very interesting!

Just got back from a loooong day on the course. I enjoyed a good round today with the Mashie and finally got to use it for some of the shots I have been wanting to see for myself, out of the rough and also fairway bunkers.

The Mashie lifted the ball right out of the rough with ease, sacraficing little distance despite not having the perfect lie. As long as you keep yourself under control, this club will perform. I got myself in some trouble near the end of the round when I tried to over swing and wound up hitting a poor shot.

I found myself in one fairway bunker and for that shot the Mashie came through picking the ball clean off the sand and dropping it in the fairway. The three times I teed off with the club I was rewarded with a high flight and great distance.

At the range before and a couple times on the course I let my golf buddies use it for a few shots and they were greatly impressed.

Another good day overall for the Mashie!! It continues to shine and be the club I have needed and wanted in my bag.

TC, I am not sure what is up with the hook with your Mashie. I would have that problem with the Nicket I had in my bag before the Mashie but I have not experienced it since the switch. The shots that would hook with the Nickent now fly straight, just less distance that if hit on the screws.

Back