The Mojito - How I love Thee

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Mojito is a simple drink that makes me smile. Elegant, simple, tasty, and full of great clean flavors.

Some are better than others. Some are flavored with different types of juice or flavors. Its fresh, lively, and full of wonderful, delightful ingredients that are sure to make people happy.

Mojito_cocktail.jpg

Never had one, but they look pretty refreshing. I'll stay with the coffee till just about game time though.

Those things are so good and deadly on a hot summer day!

The most refreshing drink ever during a hot summer day.

Pain in the arse to make properly though. When I bar tended at the club I made brazillians of them. Mortar and pestle for the mint and sugar was the kicker.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

haha as a professional bartender for 12 years - i can tell you - it is a PAIN to make. But once done properly it is a killer drink. There are many variations - some adding fruit (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries) as well as different types of sugars (agave, honey, turbinado) but the classic is refreshing.

A little more potent similar drink is the mint julep. Made famous from the kentucky derby.
Start with some fresh mint - fresh lime - a sugar - and muddle till the leaves are bruised and released their oils. Then add bourbon - and a splsh of soda - shake and serve.

Very refreshing too!

• Admin
I was always under the impression that the big brother to the Mojito was the Caipirinha

Drank some caipirinhas last night. It was from a mix and pretty disappointing.

I was always under the impression that the big brother to the Mojito was the Caipirinha

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

I've never heard of any of these, but the mint julep, lol. Sure look good, are they a southern kind of thing?

Had one called Capiroska, I think it was the same as Caipirinha only the liquor was Vodka instead of rum?

Never had one but it looks good!

I love a good Tanqueray and Tonic in the summer !

I once found the perfect mojito in Key West. After getting a bit too tipsy, I forgot which establishment served it and had a great time trying every bar in town trying to find it. Some places I tried twice. lol

The Mojito is a simple drink that makes me smile. Elegant, simple, tasty, and full of great clean flavors.

Some are better than others. Some are flavored with different types of juice or flavors. Its fresh, lively, and full of wonderful, delightful ingredients that are sure to make people happy.

Aha! You and Sam from Burn Notice!!

i first had a caiprinha (sp?) when i was in panama, central america. I asked the bartender to make me something local. He poured me a shot of the cachacha (again sp?) liquor while he went to making the drink. It took him a while - and when he was done voila! No mint - just lime sugar and rum.

Though it isnt really rum - i had to look up the diff between cachacha and rum.

Rum is distilled from molasses - cachacha is distilld from pure sugarcane.

So JB you are probably right - in that the caiprinha is the forerunner of the mojito.

My analogy to the mint julep was just another tasty drink made with bourbon instead of rum.

Thedue- it is mostly a kentucky thing? im not from the south or kentucky so i cant be sure - i know it is the official drink of the kentucky derby each year - and there they import limes from kaffir, ice from greenland, mint from (who knows where somewhere halfway across the globe prolly lol) and pure woodford reserve bourbon. They put it in a sterling silver mug -(there is a special name for it) and sell it for $5000.00 buckaroos to the high rollers.

Its pretty insane lol.

On a side note: one of my favorite weekend getaways was touring bardstown kentucky - the heart of bourbon county. 6 of us rented a house - and we hit jim beam, four roses, wild turkey, makers mark, and woodford reserve distilleries in 3 days. It was amazing. Woodford was my favorite since it is where bourbon was invented by elijah craig (could be wrong here, from memory) and the buildings are all old stone - 2 feet thick - so even in the warmer months- the bourbon houses never get above 65 degrees. Its pretty sweet.

The tour guide rolled out a barrel - tapped it with a 2 foot long tool that looked like a wine corkscrew on crack - and poured us some tastes- it was very neat.

I recommend it if you have the time to do so and enjoy bourbon. very fun!

ok - off to watch some football and play with adobe. happy new year all

was it hemingway who favored mojitos? he loved key west i klnow - i think i remember hearing that it was hemingway that first made the mojito mainstream. or what not.

who knows- i dont believe half of what i read these days on the internet LOL

Picked up some fresh mint and limes today at Fresh Market. These will go well with dinner tonight.

Picked up some fresh mint and limes today at Fresh Market. These will go well with dinner tonight.

whats for dinner?

Love these, I go to a place called the Bodeguita del Medio. Great mojitos

I'm going on a cruise later this month. I'll have to put the mojito on my "to do" list while I'm in Key West.

Were you drinking mojitos at 8:00 am JB? Nothing like a morning buzz on a Sunday. LOL.

Kevin

Were you drinking mojitos at 8:00 am JB? Nothing like a morning buzz on a Sunday. LOL.

Kevin

Nah, but dreaming of them. But I assure you I will be by 8PM.

ad061e3a-023a-34c7.jpg

Back