JB Holmes No Longer With Cobra

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting.... I know the TV doesn't like JB.... TV adds 15 pounds. You think he is little hefty on TV but in person that is not the case. I also have appreciating for tour players that get stuck with horrible pro-am team. JB had one of the worst ones at the Heritage this past year!! It was a nightmare and dangerous to watch!! LOL

Man that is a pretty big hit for Cobra, not because JB Holmes is some amazing super talent but from here it just looks like these players are lining up to bail out of Cobra. Geoff Ogilvy started it in the very beginning of last year and it just hasn't gotten any better since with Cobra. 3 of their bigger names gone in 12 months is bad.

Not surprised that it took JB a bit longer to make the move. He seems to work on his own time.

Yep this is true good buddy. Cobra had better start rebuilding their team or it won't be a team Cobra. Sad news for us snake charmers but someday we all may have to move on. :at-wits-end:

Wasn't Cobra recently purchased by Puma? I have always enjoyed what Cobra has to offer from a woods and irons stand point. They just to develop a full product line. Wedges and some good/simple putters.

• Admin
We know IJP is signed throughout 2011, but I think a lot of people would be surprised if he was around past that. The bigger question is that after the Camilo signing (broken on THP of course :act-up:), we heard buzz that they were going to be rebuilding their tour staff and I think even Gray said he heard "some major names". Am I missing something? Have they just not added them to the roster yet similar to Bridgestone not "officially" adding Davis Love III (in announcement)?

As of right now it is losing Camilo Villegas and JB Holmes and adding Johan Edfors and Lexi Thompson. Nothing wrong with either of those players of course, but not needle moving names (yet). Very curious to see where this one heads and if in fact they add someone for 2011 still.

It may just be that the "name" players have yet to be announced. I am watching this one closely and have some Georgia based contacts who may have somewhat of an insight to future signings or releases. It would be strictly confidential if info is shared prior to a press release.

It may just be that the "name" players have yet to be announced. I am watching this one closely and have some Georgia based contacts who may have somewhat of an insight to future signings or releases. It would be strictly confidential if info is shared prior to a press release.

Im looking over rosters Gray, and if they have a superstar or bright star they are set to announce, I must be missing it for 2011. And certainly that could happen, I miss things all the time.

Im looking over rosters Gray, and if they have a superstar or bright star they are set to announce, I must be missing it for 2011. And certainly that could happen, I miss things all the time.

I am also thinking of some of the really young guns out there who have potential star power. Michael Sims, Blake Adams, Chad Collins etc.who are coming off the Nationwide Tour.

I am also thinking of some of the really young guns out there who have potential star power. Michael Sims, Blake Adams, Chad Collins etc.who are coming off the Nationwide Tour.

I could be mistaken but I think Michael Sim and Blake Adams are still under contract with Titleist and TaylorMade for the remainder of 2011.

Like you say it will be interesting. I feel if Cobra is going to announce a new player to their team, it will be done by early Spring prior to the Masters tournament. That is just an assumption so we all know what that can mean. The worse case scenerio for Cobra fans would be due to money restraints, the Cobra Tour staff is being phased out. The economy unfortunately does affect the golfing industry.

Like you say it will be interesting. I feel if Cobra is going to announce a new player to their team, it will be done by early Spring prior to the Masters tournament. That is just an assumption so we all know what that can mean. The worse case scenerio for Cobra fans would be due to money restraints, the Cobra Tour staff is being phased out. The economy unfortunately does affect the golfing industry.

I dont think they will phase it out Gray. Certainly it could happen, but based on past deals like that, we see where that leads companies. They just signed Edfors late last year. Lexi Thompson joined them. And I believe PUMA signed another Euro Tour player that will be playing Cobra clubs.

I would be shocked if a company waited until the Masters to announce a player unless that players deal was not a year end expiration date (rare in our findings). If you are on staff and playing on weekends, equipment gets noticed.

EDIT: I should add that if it was a Euro Tour player not coming to the states until the Masters, that could be a different scenario in terms of announcing.

This hurts cobra big time. They really only had 3 big name type guys and now two are gone, and it doesn't look like they have anyone to replace them. With the way I see things going with the major OEM's I think cobra needs to start targeting up and coming Nationwide players and young euros and sign them to long term deals hoping they live up to potential. Those players will probably leave after they become stars to one of the more major companies but as long as they keep sponsoring young talent they will have a share of the marketplace. It doesn't seem at least to me that they can compete with the likes of TM, Cleveland/Srixon, Callaway ect,,

This hurts, I really like JB alot. I agree with other sentiments though, go young, go nationwide...some will pan out and some won't but its got to be better than almost no presence.

This hurts cobra big time. They really only had 3 big name type guys and now two are gone, and it doesn't look like they have anyone to replace them. With the way I see things going with the major OEM's I think cobra needs to start targeting up and coming Nationwide players and young euros and sign them to long term deals hoping they live up to potential. Those players will probably leave after they become stars to one of the more major companies but as long as they keep sponsoring young talent they will have a share of the marketplace. It doesn't seem at least to me that they can compete with the likes of TM, Cleveland/Srixon, Callaway ect,,

Nike and Adams do not have real big rosters either. Cobra will be fine as long as they have somebody wearing their hat on Sundays.

Waiting for gray to hit the champions tour eh? Interesting move Cobra, interesting move.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

Nike and Adams do not have real big rosters either. Cobra will be fine as long as they have somebody wearing their hat on Sundays.

Nike has 10 players on the PGA Tour alone including the most popular in the world. Adams does not but never has been big in that respect. However they just signed Ryan Moore, and that brings them to six on the PGA Tour alone.

By my count, this leaves Cobra with only 2 PGA Tour players (Jason Gore & IJP). And rumors about both of them have been flying for months. IJP is signed through 2011.

Tiger, AK, Cink, Glover, Immelman, Tiger, Molinari, Ames, tiger. They have a big lineup. It may not be tmade big, but it's got depth.

I agree to some extent but Nike is such a huge name in sports equipment in general, plus having Tiger woods that they don't need a huge stable of players. Adams has built a nice enough roster of guys, but I think that if an Adams guy got an offer from TM or Titleist after their contracts expired they would jump ship. I think Adams is in the same boat as Cobra, sponsor young guys, hope they do well to get your name out there, and have young guys coming up to replace them when they leave.

Nike has 10 players on the PGA Tour alone including the most popular in the world. Adams does not but never has been big in that respect. However they just signed Ryan Moore, and that brings them to six on the PGA Tour alone.

By my count, this leaves Cobra with only 2 PGA Tour players (Jason Gore & IJP). And rumors about both of them have been flying for months. IJP is signed through 2011.

Nike has 10 PGA players? I could have looked at their website to know for sure. Still to me 10 players doesnt seem huge. Not like Titleist or Taylormade. But now I see the numbers, and the numbers don't lie. Cobra needs some PGA players. If Rickie could get away from Titleist, it would help Cobra especially with the Puma connection.

Tiger, AK, Cink, Glover, Immelman, Tiger, Molinari, Ames, tiger. They have a big lineup. It may not be tmade big, but it's got depth.

Isn't Molinari Euro tour? and I thought that Immelman left. Either way Nike does have concentrated quality in their roster. Just not a huge roster by the numbers.

Nike has 10 PGA players? I could have looked at their website to know for sure. Still to me 10 players doesnt seem huge. Not like Titleist or Taylormade. But now I see the numbers, and the numbers don't lie. Cobra needs some PGA players. If Rickie could get away from Titleist, it would help Cobra especially with the Puma connection.

They have 10 players on the PGA Tour and quite a few more on the Euro Tour.

Cobra I believe has 3 tour players total if you dont count Lexi Thompson and David Feherty.

Fowler has a couple of more years left with Titleist and has always played them I believe.

Don't forget Wie and Suzann Pettersen on the LPGA.

Back