Camilo possible rules violation... Phoned in?

So put a guy in the booth. Great. Maybe that will solve the problem. It doesn't mean that Villegas got a raw deal because a viewer pointed out his mistake. There has been precedence for that.

I think I'm the only one that has voiced an opinion on Poulter's Tweets. It's disturbing to me that a tour player would insult the fans, then state that pointing out a rules violation was squealing. As if it's a school playground or a freakin' mafia movie. If a percentage of players on the tour feel the same way, it has a far greater problem.

Kevin

I dont disagree with you at all. I think Poulter's tweets were borderline disgusting.

Again the issue is that an outside entity can decide when and if to report a violation.

The only effect that outside parties can have is to make the outcome more correct. I get the impression that some people think if I don't want someone to win, I just have to call in and make up some infraction and they'll be disqualified. It only happens if the player has ACTUALLY broken the rules. In which case, as we've established, it's their fault. And, I think for anyone this has ever happened to, I think they'd accept the fact that they broke the rules and should have been penalised.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

No you dont. NOTHING changes. Its still up to the player. Yet instead of allowing people on teh couch make the call, it would be an official if a player misses it. Who made the call in the Dustin Johnson fiasco?

Again, the people on the couch aren't making any call (unless you mean a phone call). They don't decide anything. They just point out a possible infraction. The officials then look at it and make the call. Surely not that hard to understand.

I dont think anybody EVER said anything of the sort.

Neither do I. Hence the use of the phrase "I get the impression".

Again, the people on the couch aren't making any call (unless you mean a phone call). They don't decide anything. They just point out a possible infraction. The officials then look at it and make the call. Surely not that hard to understand.

I didnt say they decided the ruling. Again I will ask, who made the call for DJ at the PGA?

poulter dropped off the map for me, esox.

you're not alone.

He basically said, "How dare the little man question us." He probably moves his ball in the rough.

The more I think about his comments, the more I think there are probably others on the Tour that feel the same way. So I say, let the little man call in.

There were comments ealrier in the thread suggesting that callers could target golfers they don't care for, but as Ty mentioned, if you don't break the rules, it shouldn't effect you.

Kevin

I didnt say they decided the ruling. Again I will ask, who made the call for DJ at the PGA?

:popcorn:

It's comical that you are arguing that an official that is impartial is a better choice than a fan at home.

Reactions: JB
It's comical that you are arguing that an official that is impartial is a better choice than a fan at home.

As others have stated. The fan didn't make the ruling.

Kevin

Again the issue is that an outside entity can decide when and if to report a violation.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Firstly, I think the chances of someone being able to influence the outcome of an event by NOT calling in a violation is so remote as to be nonexistent. However, by ostracising the person who makes the phone call on this occasion, you make it easier for someone to do that. But, all that aside, as I said before, by calling in all someone can do is make the result more correct. By not calling in, they're not changing the outcome.

I would also add that the person who knows the rules well enough to actually bring it up is the kind of person who would do it because they want the rules to be followed, not because they prefer one player over another. Nor are they able to prevent anyone else from calling in.

I neither know nor care.

By putting an "official" in a booth you still aren't going to stop the viewing public from calling in on what they perceive as an infraction. And any information which comes to light still has to be acted on by the committee. You can't sequester the committee so that they are incommunicado. You won't have accomplished anything but add another position in the bureaucracy.

i answered but i don't merit responses anymore. oops.

So it would seem. My point was rather that it doesn't matter who let them know. The officials determined that he incurred a penalty. We watched them doing that. I'm assuming JB is asking who let them know about it. That's irrelevant though. All that matters is that the rules were broken.

By putting an "official" in a booth you still aren't going to stop the viewing public from calling in on what they perceive as an infraction. And any information which comes to light still has to be acted on by the committee. You can't sequester the committee so that they are incommunicado. You won't have accomplished anything but add another position in the bureaucracy.

the PGA made the mistake of announcing that it was a tweet that tipped them off.

We'll have to agree to disagree it seems. I don't have the energy for this tonight :)

i answered but i don't merit responses anymore. oops.

That is not necessary. I merely missed your response.

So it would seem. My point was rather that it doesn't matter who let them know. The officials determined that he incurred a penalty. We watched them doing that. I'm assuming JB is asking who let them know about it. That's irrelevant though. All that matters is that the rules were broken.

The point to my question about DJ is that an official made the ruling onsite at the time it happened. The rule was done appropriately and he was penalized. But one thing WAS different. That it was done on time. Having people on hand to take care of these things rather than a caller or something after the fact eliminates the 2nd part of the ruling in this case. Its about timing.

Nothing changes about players following the rules. Having someone in the booth watching the feed is a perfect scenario that apparently the entire TGC (Golf Central Live) agrees with as well as John Feinstein now. I bet it happens before the beginning of next season.

I've been living on grief, irish whiskey, and a toddler's schedule.

if the infraction were caught in time such as dustins no matter how many ppl disagree with the ruling... camilo would played the rest of the tourney... just 2 strokes worse

How much longer are we going to haggle back and forth about this? Everyone has said their gripes and some have chosen not to drop it. Really, I'm begging you, let's drop it. The thread talking about the winner is now lost somewhere on the back pages of THP yet this junk is still continually brought up by people that just seem like they want to argue for the sake of raising their blood pressure, pretty silly really. Did you guys think that was awesome that Jonathan Byrd has now won in his last 2 starts via a playoff? Pretty amazing, where to you think Byrd goes from here? Think he'll win again this year? How about a major in his future?

The reason I have fallen in love with THP is because there are so few threads like this one. If you live in a warm weather climate go outside and hit balls, if you are like me and believe the balls in your pocket are frozen to your leg then go sit by your fireplace and warm up! This thread kinda sucks.

How much longer are we going to haggle back and forth about this? Everyone has said their gripes and some have chosen not to drop it. Really, I'm begging you, let's drop it. The thread talking about the winner is now lost somewhere on the back pages of THP yet this junk is still continually brought up by people that just seem like they want to argue for the sake of raising their blood pressure, pretty silly really. Did you guys think that was awesome that Jonathan Byrd has now won in his last 2 starts via a playoff? Pretty amazing, where to you think Byrd goes from here? Think he'll win again this year? How about a major in his future?

The reason I have fallen in love with THP is because there are so few threads like this one. If you live in a warm weather climate go outside and hit balls, if you are like me and believe the balls in your pocket are frozen to your leg then go sit by your fireplace and warm up! This thread kinda sucks.

LOL. This thread kinda sucks is hilarious. Thanks cowboy. You made me smile today :)

Back