Favorite Course You Played in 2010

This is tough because I travel w my clubs when I'm out of town on business so I have two: Local & Out of Town

Local: Longshore in Westport, CT (Links style along LI Sound & #6, Park style back 6)

Out of Town (Tie): Palmer at PGA National or Les Cheneaux Country Club in Les Cheneaux, MI

Waukewaun CC, Meredith NH. The slideshow on the home page is spot on. It is really that beautiful. Shot 81 there that day. Played good (considering its par 72, and i was +7 through 5 holes. Finished the last 13 holes at +2

I got to play at Silver Lakes in Alabama this past summer. It's part of the Robert Trent jones Trail. What a blast, being from Southern Nevada I never get the chance to play on courses that have that many trees. It was a great experience and I can't wait to play it next time I'm there!

They renovated the course this year too. I was lucky enough to play it just after they reopened it. I really loved the back nine. Those holes are gorgeous.

Yep, ole Jack really knew what he was doing on that one.

Well this will be easy for me to remember in the future....my fave in 2010 was the 2010 course.....3 weeks before the ryder cup!there is lots of great golf in wales!

Wicked Stick in Myrtle beach,S.C. while on vacation last June.Pretty wide open links style course designed by John Daly.

Cypresswood's Traditions course down in Houston. Was on the 31st so barely got it in there!!!
Very technical course, not much grip it and rip it there, I used 3 iron most of the day to avoid a lot of the trouble.

We've got one municipal one called "Maple Ridge" and it's fantastic.
Elevation changes 'a plenty, and long beautiful fairways.
There's a reason why it's almost impossible to book a tee time there - even when you wake up at 5:50 for the 6:00am booking start.

Best course was the excellent Machrihanish; superb traditional links with one of the most stunning opening holes in golf. Allied to the fact I had near perfect weather - yes in those pictures you will see lots of sunshine in Scotland!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best course was the excellent Machrihanish; superb traditional links with one of the most stunning opening holes in golf. Allied to the fact I had near perfect weather - yes in those pictures you will see lots of sunshine in Scotland!

holy crap! that is a scary tee shot on #1. the beach is literally the left rough, lol. awesome pics and blog though. i appreciated that.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite of 2010 is Superior National at Lutsen, Minnesota on the North Shore of Lake Superior. There are three nines that climb up and down the mountain and many of the holes cross over the Poplar River as it tumbles down the mountainside forming waterfalls that can totally distract from the shot you are about to play. Nearly every tee has a great view with the mountainous terrain, Poplar River, and Lake Superior all in view at various places on the course. You have to keep it in play as the woods are thick and the odds of finding your ball more than 10 yards out of the fairway are nil and the soil has ancient volcanic lava mixed in so it is really hard on the finish of your clubs but it is totally worth it.

It was really special in 2010 as my oldest son proposed to his girlfriend with only three holes left to play, she was shaking from joy so bad that she couldn't finish her round. It didn't hurt that I was playing really good golf for me and had two of my best rounds ever there. It is one of the few things that I regret moving out of Minnesota as it is now a ten hour drive to get up there. I would have to place it as my lifetime favorite.

Angus Glen in Markham, ON

Host Of:

- 2001 BMO Womens Open
- 2001 TELUS Skins Game
- 2002 Bell Canadian Open
- 2007 Canadian Open

90% of the time i play at my home course because its 5 minutes from my house and i payed good money for the membership, LOL. Its a nice manicured simple course but, its fairly difficult with all of the elevation changes. I went on 5 buddies trips in 2010 and, the nicest course was Lake Tansi Village in the golf capitol of TN. Crossville, TN. It is a stunning layout on the upper cumberland plateu right beside a huge lake (that has 2 FG Tour golf balls in it) and, it is very affordable, which means alot to me. I will be going back more than once 2011 because its beautiful, challenging, affordable and i played pretty good that day. I shot a (97) which aint too shabby for a course i had never seen before and, considering i had been playing for only 7 months at the time. I plan on playing atleast 10 new courses in 2011, that probably does not seem like much to most of THP's members but, it is alot to this guy.

holy crap! that is a scary tee shot on #1. the beach is literally the left rough, lol. awesome pics and blog though. i appreciated that.

Nailing that drive was the best moment of golf for me 2010 - made even sweeter as I had 4 golfers and 4 caddies standing directly behind me too! Thanks for the kind words re: blog; it is always nice. Certainly helps to have the pictures to remind me that golf in Scotland can happen especially given our current weather situation.

Ross Bridge outside of Birmingham was my favorite. It was a challenging but expecially fair layout with beautiful smooth (and very quick) greens. The fairways were not especially wide, but there were acres of rough surrounding all holes, so wayward shots would rarely make it into the woods. I think I enjoyed it more because we played it after a week on bermuda grass greens farther south in Alabama, and the bentgrass sure was a nice change. They play a senior PGA event at Ross Bridge, and it's part of the Robert Trent Jones Trail (although RTJ did not design the course). It's a modern design and has a very large feel to it. It'd be a fun course to play on a regular basis, as it does not beat one up quite as much as some of the other RTJ trail courses!

Not that I played a lot of courses really, but Saadiyat Beach in Abu Dhabi was definitely the best course I've played in 2010.

Purgatory in Noblesville Indiana. 7700 yards long with 120 bunkers make this great links course one of the toughest in Indiana. I always get my butt kicked by the course, but it is a really nice place. Its one of those courses you know you can't beat, but it is still nice to be there.

http://www.purgatorygolf.com/

I would probably say the best course I had the privilege to play on last year was the Gold Course at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, MD... Fortunate to be a family friend of the PGA Pro there, so I finally got my chance last summer... Definitely awe-inspiring to say the least... felt humbled to be able to play there... hoping to play the Blue Course finally after the US Open is done in June!

Best course I played last year was Chambers Bay the week after the US Am was there. Long and fast!! :)

Ross Bridge in Birmingham AL the best I played in 2010 and my favorite of all time! My Iphone pictures dont do it justice but here are a couple I took!

Spyglass. The condition of the course was amazing. And it's at Pebble so you can't beat that.

Favorite Course I played in 2010 has to be Sugarbush in Davison, MI. My twin brother moved to Michigan about a year and a half ago, so we don't get to hang out as often. Strangely enough, we both got hooked on golf at the same time, despite the long distance. At any rate, I took a trip to visit in September and played a ton of golf with my brother. It was great. My swing was all out of whack, and I was all over the place, but it was a blast, nonetheless.

Runner up is Torrey Pines (North) here in San Diego. It's a beautiful (and freakin' hard) course.

Paiute the snow course in Las Vegas. A beautiful, reasonably priced desert course, Pete Dye design and the best club house I've been to.

Back