I might have missed something, but is this the real Steve Marino?

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

No sorry. Just a fan!

No sorry. Just a fan!

Steve recommend any bars around waverly? I got a couple of hours in Edinburgh tom afternoon before heading to the airport.

This may be the "What kinda Beer are you drinking Thread?" but does anyone here homebrew???

Because I'm drinking a home brewed IPA and it is very satisfying.

I think there are a few homebrewers on here, including me. I think cg13 does as well.

Was it an IPA you brewed?

I'm going to a charity event on the 26th called The PBR 3000. The goal is to finish 3000 PBRs within 6 hours. Only 350 tickets are being sold so that's about 8.5 beers per person. Should be fun.

My favorite beer of late is a locally brewed one called Big Boss Angry Angel. Its a kolsch ale and very good.

I think there are a few homebrewers on here, including me. I think cg13 does as well.

Was it an IPA you brewed?

Yeh, I brewed a clone of Bell's Brewery Two-Hearted IPA...so yummy.

My favorite beer of late is a locally brewed one called Big Boss Angry Angel. Its a kolsch ale and very good.

I laughed at the name when I read it and laughed even harder when you said it's a Kolsch. What's the name of the brewery, I've brewed me a few Kolsch's in my time and I'm always up for new ideas and beers to try. What does it taste like, does it have honey in it?

I'm really liking beer and clamato lately, the clam takes away the carbonation so it's super easy to drink fast :D

I'm really liking beer and clamato lately, the clam takes away the carbonation so it's super easy to drink fast :D

I laughed at the name when I read it and laughed even harder when you said it's a Kolsch. What's the name of the brewery, I've brewed me a few Kolsch's in my time and I'm always up for new ideas and beers to try. What does it taste like, does it have honey in it?

Big Boss is the brewery. Its out of Raleigh NC. I'm not sure if it actually has honey in it but it sure tastes like it does. Very good beer.

I was in Park City,Utah and enjoyed some of their home-brewed mountain beers, including Polygamy Porter, Provo Girl and Wasatch Winterfest. Also had a few Arrogant Bastard Ales.

I enjoy a lot of beers, but I mostly recently had a 4 pack of Allagash White over the weekend which is a bit spendy but worth it. Typically when Im drinking on the cheap I'll go with miller lite. If I'm looking for something with a little more flavor I like the Sam's seasonals, Magic Hat #9, and a few others.

I enjoy a lot of beers, but I mostly recently had a 4 pack of Allagash White over the weekend which is a bit spendy but worth it.

I don't do a whole lot of Belgian Wheats, but I will get this sometimes with fish in the winter. One of the restaurants on my "go-to" list serves it; it is very good with grilled calamari salad!

Oh yeah, prefered on tap more than any other way, but I was thinking of my store purchases. Can beer has a very "tin" taste to it IMO and ruins the flavor. I'll go without if it comes down to drinking can beer.

My wife works for Anheuser Busch and they have done a ton of blind taste tests and when people don't know where the beer is coming from they cannot tell the difference between bottle and can beers at all, and can barely discern tap beer from packaged. But, when they let people do the same test, two ways, one where they set the can and bottle beside the pints they were poured into and the other where they reverse it and set the bottle beside the pint with the canned beer in it and vice versa, people still choose bottle beer in both cases the same % whether the beer they preferred actually came from a bottle or can. So long as they thought it came from a bottle they preferred it. Never underestimate the placebo effect I guess. The brain is a strange thing.

I get lots of samples at the house because of her job and my favorites are:

Boddington's
Guinness
Wild Blue

My wife works for Anheuser Busch and they have done a ton of blind taste tests and when people don't know where the beer is coming from they cannot tell the difference between bottle and can beers at all, and can barely discern tap beer from packaged. But, when they let people do the same test, two ways, one where they set the can and bottle beside the pints they were poured into and the other where they reverse it and set the bottle beside the pint with the canned beer in it and vice versa, people still choose bottle beer in both cases the same % whether the beer they preferred actually came from a bottle or can. So long as they thought it came from a bottle they preferred it. Never underestimate the placebo effect I guess. The brain is a strange thing.

Boddington's
Guinness
Wild Blue

I'd like to think i have a pretty good pallette when it comes to tasting. Ive been apart of several blind tastings- mostly local microbrew competitions here in cols... For competition u can hardly beat fresh draft beer... Bottle conditioned beer is a good 2nd but far inferior even across the same batch (I.e. 1/2 carbonated in the keg, 1/2 in the bottle). It's noticeable to a discernible taster.

As far as cans goo- if im drinking the ol standby lite, or pbr!, cans are efficient- stay colder than bottle IMO, and easier to drink out of (faster) than a bottle.. I hate drinking out of a bottle- a glass on the other hand is ok...but the simplicity of cans is hard to beat lol.

I've never tasted "tin" in my cans tho.. - what brand was it? Could have been some inferior storage methods by the supplier too. Warm cold warm cold etc. Cycling isn't great for beer

Just my opinions anyway

I actually did an internship with a small microbrew about 8 years ago while I was in college. My dad works for Diageo NA (think smirnoff/crown royal/captain morgan/etc), he has mentioned on numerous occasions that one additional factor that cans have going for them over bottles is they actually will stay fresh tasting for longer in your fridge/garage/closet/whatever.

Also the other argument regarding cans tasting "tinny" is kinda bunk, considering the process beer goes through is largely time spent in metal containers.

Lastly, when it comes to local beers and the tap tasting better. The reasoning is because its simply fresher, usually brewed onsite or near by and on the tap quicker than say a miller/bud/etc that all come from a supplier who could have had that keg for a couple of weeks before sending it to the bar or restaraunt, where it could sit again before being hooked up and served.

Boddington's
Guinness
Wild Blue

I actually did an internship with a small microbrew about 8 years ago while I was in college. My dad works for Diageo NA (think smirnoff/crown royal/captain morgan/etc), he has mentioned on numerous occasions that one additional factor that cans have going for them over bottles is they actually will stay fresh tasting for longer in your fridge/garage/closet/whatever.

Also the other argument regarding cans tasting "tinny" is kinda bunk, considering the process beer goes through is largely time spent in metal containers.

Lastly, when it comes to local beers and the tap tasting better. The reasoning is because its simply fresher, usually brewed onsite or near by and on the tap quicker than say a miller/bud/etc that all come from a supplier who could have had that keg for a couple of weeks before sending it to the bar or restaraunt, where it could sit again before being hooked up and served.

most beer is fermented in stainless steel and canned in aluminum though - two diff metals - just pointing it out- i have never really been able to taste the diff between a can and bottle.

most beer is fermented in stainless steel and canned in aluminum though - two diff metals - just pointing it out- i have never really been able to taste the diff between a can and bottle.

Indeed, also the aluminum has a coating on it.

after all the excitement about the morgan cup challenge, I had to settle myself down with a Wachusett Ryde beer..... locally owned and brewed!

most recently had the Blue Moon Spring Blonde wheat ale... not too bad.

DogFish Head Raison D'Etre, it's amazing!

Victoia Bitter... My drink of choice.

Yes its true. Australian's dont actually drink Fosters.

Back