• YES!

Votes: 157 94.6%
  • NO!

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
See smoothduffer's above post. You said
golf requires no athleticism to be good at
. My point stands

Jeez dude, it's one thing to be bored at work and to have a debate and it's another thing to be stirring up sh*t. That's what you're really good at. I'm sure if stirring up sh*t, handling sh*t, talking sh*t was a sport, you'd a played that in college too. We aren't the ones with the ego homey, you are. What kind of satisfaction are you getting from this? Clearly, you like golf, you are on a golf forum to, you like your equipment, and you like posting. For the life of me I can't figure out why you are so adament that golf isn't a sport? Because there's no running, or hitting, or two a days? Golfers put in just as much work as other professional athletes and I can assure you that their off season is a lot shorter as well. Golfers earn their money, they have to excel to make money, they have to be the best. Look at fat Albert Haynesworth, he sure did earn that paycheck this year huh? What a work ethic!! What an athlete!!!

I have stated from day one that I love golf and Im an equipment junky. I have listed numerous of reasons of why I think golf is not a sport, you guys are focusing on one post, where in the post the person I replied to totally didnt take it the way you guys are, and what am I stirring up, its a dam golf forum and Im giving my opinion.

Haynesworth is another guy when I think speed, I think Albert.

I'd love for anyone to say to a pro golfer you aren't playing a sport.

Jeez dude, it's one thing to be bored at work and to have a debate and it's another thing to be stirring up sh*t. That's what you're really good at. I'm sure if stirring up sh*t, handling sh*t, talking sh*t was a sport, you'd a played that in college too. We aren't the ones with the ego homey, you are. What kind of satisfaction are you getting from this? Clearly, you like golf, you are on a golf forum to, you like your equipment, and you like posting. For the life of me I can't figure out why you are so adament that golf isn't a sport? Because there's no running, or hitting, or two a days? Golfers put in just as much work as other professional athletes and I can assure you that their off season is a lot shorter as well. Golfers earn their money, they have to excel to make money, they have to be the best. Look at fat Albert Haynesworth, he sure did earn that paycheck this year huh? What a work ethic!! What an athlete!!!

I think Golf falls into my unofficial definition of a sport which is 'a physical activity done by oneself or in competition against another or many, that can be measured by either a score that is earned within the parameters of the sport itself (run, points, shots, etc), clock (swimming, track n field, etc), or system of measurement i.e distance (auto racing).

Slightly off topic but for clarification purposes I think 'sports' such as ice skating, gymnastics, and boxing for example are not sports because there is no finite measure of scoring available and it's all based on judgement

Dont forget quickness, agility, and physical endurance.

Haynesworth played football this year?

pot-kettle-black.jpg

JB, you stated that David Ortiz posessed none of those attributes in your original post, did you specifically state as it relates to his game in the field? You didnt! So I showed where he did posess those traits.

I thought that was David Ortiz????? Haha. One more for Albert, DETERMINATION.

Dont forget quickness, agility, and physical endurance.

While I do think Golf is a sport as I have said before, I think that is where the line must be drawn in the sand. I hate seeing poker, Car racing, Curling, ect being called sports. That is not saying they are not hard, curling is very very hard, but at some point you go from sport to skilled game and I offer that anything less "athletic" than golf is a skilled game and not a sport, thoughts?

I concur that poker is not a sport. However, if you flip back a few pages through the bantering, I've already made my arguments on the physical exertion and training necessary to be a race car driver. I stand by those, and will forever argue that you need to be an athlete to be a race car driver, and racing is a sport.
On curling, have you seen Kevin Martin's team? They're all very fit, and what they do is very hard.
I have a friend who curls competitively and has seen their training facility and what they do there. I can guarantee you that if you call golf a sport, curling is maybe even more of a sport. I'd contest that curlers exert more physically, and perhaps even mentally when they start calling and planning shots.

No I just described every attribute that their cars posess, i never hear a nascar driver say anything about the error they made physically, never its always mental or the tracks fault or they say we just didnt have a fast car today, its all dependent upon the vehicle and smart decisions, tony stewart=non-athlete

How did you know Stewart is my fav driver??? :nailbiting: The car and equipment is about 10% of what it takes to win a race the other 90% is all driver. BTW mental toughness was one of YOUR OWN requirements now you are saying its not???? I wish you would make up your mind.

JB, you stated that David Ortiz posessed none of those attributes in your original post, did you specifically state as it relates to his game in the field? You didnt! So I showed where he did posess those traits.

I did? I think you are putting words in my mouth again. Here is my exact quote.

"David Ortiz is a heck of a hitter in MLB, but lacks quite a few of the traits you listed, does that make the games he played in less of a sport?"

I'd say that to a pro golfer, what is he going to do to me? And for his position Albert has a lot of speed, I dont think the owner wouldve made him the highest paid defensive lineman ever if he didnt. He commands a double team every snap, the reason he didnt want to play a 3-4 scheme is because the nose is triple teamed most plays and doesnt make a lot of plays

i started this thread yesterday - and admit i didnt read all the way through it. My vote, clearly, is YES. it is a sport. Ill offer my opinion below.

taken from dictionary.com:
–noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Now - as a fellow competitor most my life - i played soccer - ran track - and tried my hand at football. But the keyword i find above is competitive. I do not think you can say that golf is not competitive. I find it very competitive - and requires great skill.

to the OP: the next person who says it is not a sport - challenge him to a friendly round of 18 - and when you beat him ask him his opinion then. Although it is HS - only thing you should worry about there is. well nvm lol i will not corrupt!

Why what do you think the pro golfer would do? Can't imagine they would do anything more than laugh, shrug and walk away...can't imagine it would get physical or anything...do you?

I did? I think you are putting words in my mouth again. Here is my exact quote.

"David Ortiz is a heck of a hitter in MLB, but lacks quite a few of the traits you listed, does that make the games he played in less of a sport?"

JB, does your quote specify where he lacks those traits at, cuz he doesnt lack them in the batters box sir.

I have stated from day one that I love golf and Im an equipment junky. I have listed numerous of reasons of why I think golf is not a sport, you guys are focusing on one post, where in the post the person I replied to totally didnt take it the way you guys are, and what am I stirring up, its a dam golf forum and Im giving my opinion.

You are right, it is just a forum and you can believe whatever you want. I don't know why I'm trying to convince you otherwise. I don't know why I get hot and bothered about it b/c fact is, you would probably be a treat to tee it up with.

I concur that poker is not a sport. However, if you flip back a few pages through the bantering, I've already made my arguments on the physical exertion and training necessary to be a race car driver. I stand by those, and will forever argue that you need to be an athlete to be a race car driver, and racing is a sport.
On curling, have you seen Kevin Martin's team? They're all very fit, and what they do is very hard.
I have a friend who curls competitively and has seen their training facility and what they do there. I can guarantee you that if you call golf a sport, curling is maybe even more of a sport. I'd contest that curlers exert more physically, and perhaps even mentally when they start calling and planning shots.

Thats what I wanted to bring up, before I started golfing I never thought golf was a sport, now 100% believe it is, curling I have tried and it is very hard and maybe it is a sport, thats the debate, I have never seen how the pro's train. I respect your thoughts about Car Racing but I don't think I could ever call a Driver an athlete but again I have never gotten into a racecar going 300 mph.

We should stop comparing one sport to the other. I'm a better hockey player than 99% of pro golfers (Go Canada lol), doesn't make what PGA Tour players do any less impressive. In fact, considering myself fairly athletic, I appreciate even more what pro golfers do.

I'd say that to a pro golfer, what is he going to do to me? And for his position Albert has a lot of speed, I dont think the owner wouldve made him the highest paid defensive lineman ever if he didnt. He commands a double team every snap, the reason he didnt want to play a 3-4 scheme is because the nose is triple teamed most plays and doesnt make a lot of plays

You must be watching a different game than I am or did in my years working for them. He does not have a lot of speed even for his position. Above average yes, but not a lot of speed. And as for the bolded part, how many snaps was that again?

i still rather get drunk , run around and tackle my friends on the golf course. Now that my friend is a sport :thumb:

i started this thread yesterday - and admit i didnt read all the way through it. My vote, clearly, is YES. it is a sport. Ill offer my opinion below.

taken from dictionary.com:
–noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Now - as a fellow competitor most my life - i played soccer - ran track - and tried my hand at football. But the keyword i find above is competitive. I do not think you can say that golf is not competitive. I find it very competitive - and requires great skill.

to the OP: the next person who says it is not a sport - challenge him to a friendly round of 18 - and when you beat him ask him his opinion then. Although it is HS - only thing you should worry about there is. well nvm lol i will not corrupt!

I would think I got beat by a more skilled player, not sure how getting beaten by someone makes something sport...not being factious that one just missed me...

Oh I know. I think golf is the toughest sport out there. Its the only sport where 1/16th of an inch can be the determining factor between winning and losing.

Target shooting! Oh wait, is shooting a gun a sport or not?

Why what do you think the pro golfer would do? Can't imagine they would do anything more than laugh, shrug and walk away...can't imagine it would get physical or anything...do you?

My point is saying that i feel in no danger for my life, number one I would never do that at a golf course because that is not proper eiquette, number 2 why would he give a rats ass about what I think when he is a millionaire, i know dam well he wouldnt get physical with me, it just wouldnt be smart for his career, the 1st amendment lets me say whatever i please. My opinion has no effect on his life. And finally I fear no man.

Lol. You guys are all about physical violence huh??? Why would a pro golfer get physical? No they'd probably laugh at you and realize that you don't have any clue what it takes to be a professional golfer in the sport they make a living off of. That's what I think. I think maybe a guy like #12 might block you from twitter but that's about as mean a response you would get.

So do a lot of tackles. Doesn't make them fast. Reason he didn't want to play in a 3-4 is because he couldn't rack up stats. Didn't you want him laying the ground taking a nap?

So golf isnt a sport because a footballer or B-Baller would cap you if you told him football wasnt a sport?
My point is saying that i feel in no danger for my life, number one I would never do that at a golf course because that is not proper eiquette, number 2 why would he give a rats ass about what I think when he is a millionaire, i know dam well he wouldnt get physical with me, it just wouldnt be smart for his career, the 1st amendment lets me say whatever i please. My opinion has no effect on his life. And finally I fear no man.

Back