Bridgestone B330-RX Yellow Review from Testers

Looking forward to the comparison shots. SW FLA

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

My ball testing will be delayed as my 89 year old grandmother fell today and broke her hip. She is like a mother to me, please keep her in your prayers.

I'm sure the whole place will be thinking of you and your grandmother. Good thoughts sent in your direction.

I got out yesterday for 18 to test them out. We tee'd off at 7:45am, (just after sunrise here). It was 33 degrees, overcast, with lots of dew. I mention this because I think it is an important part of my review.

Ball Performance: I played the B330-RX from early last summer through late fall and I love it. It is long, very soft, yet I still get good spin on the green. I won't spend too much time reviewing the performance of the ball since that hasn't changed, but I do LOVE the performance of this ball.

Color Performance: My review actually differs from most of the others I have read on here, (haven't read all of them). My playing partner was playing a white ball while I played the optic yellow. We found it was much easier to see his ball on the ground than mine. I believe this has A LOT to do with the amount of dew there was on the course. There were several times that we both hit shots to the same area, found his almost immediately, and had to search for mine for several minutes. We would almost walk over the ball before finding it. In the air it was very easy to see the ball. In this area I would say that the optic yellow was slightly easier to see than the white in the overcast/cloudy conditions.

Putting: I found it just as easy to aim putts with the yellow ball, but not any easier. This category was a "wash" for me.

Recap: I love the performance of this ball, (same as the white version). I will continue to use the B330-RX as my #1 ball of choice. I am interested to try this ball again in dry conditions but I would say that in wet conditions I do not prefer it to the white version.

Great review OG, I find the same thing up here with almost all the yellow balls, in the summer they are easier to find, in the winter the colour of the grass here almost matches the colour of the ball. White is easier to find this time of the year than yellow.

I got out yesterday for 18 to test them out. We tee'd off at 7:45am, (just after sunrise here). It was 33 degrees, overcast, with lots of dew. I mention this because I think it is an important part of my review.

Ball Performance: I played the B330-RX from early last summer through late fall and I love it. It is long, very soft, yet I still get good spin on the green. I won't spend too much time reviewing the performance of the ball since that hasn't changed, but I do LOVE the performance of this ball.

Color Performance: My review actually differs from most of the others I have read on here, (haven't read all of them). My playing partner was playing a white ball while I played the optic yellow. We found it was much easier to see his ball on the ground than mine. I believe this has A LOT to do with the amount of dew there was on the course. There were several times that we both hit shots to the same area, found his almost immediately, and had to search for mine for several minutes. We would almost walk over the ball before finding it. In the air it was very easy to see the ball. In this area I would say that the optic yellow was slightly easier to see than the white in the overcast/cloudy conditions.

Putting: I found it just as easy to aim putts with the yellow ball, but not any easier. This category was a "wash" for me.

Recap: I love the performance of this ball, (same as the white version). I will continue to use the B330-RX as my #1 ball of choice. I am interested to try this ball again in dry conditions but I would say that in wet conditions I do not prefer it to the white version.

Great review! Being from the northwest i never thought dew would effect the visual of the yellow, but that is something now im going to look into.

This place, and it's members, just plain ROCKS!

I owe a mystery mailer a great big THANK YOU!!!

In the mail today, I received a yellow B330RX. As luck would have it I just returned from buying a little chipping net, and I regripped my new-to-me 56* wedge yesterday, so I get to go have some fun in the yard today, and on the course tomorrow!

Thanks again to the mystery mailer, & obvious credit goes to THP and Bridgestone for continuing to bring these opportunities to the INCREDIBLE forum members here!

Lol at least someone in the Raleigh area received one. Maybe my mailman gave it to you Matt.

i know it was probably mentioned in this thread somewhere but i just missed it, when are these going to be in stores?

i know it was probably mentioned in this thread somewhere but i just missed it, when are these going to be in stores?

Based on my last hour with it, hopefully tomorrow. Just WOW!

I plan to take it out on the course tomorrow, and I'll post some thoughts afterwards.

I believe JB posted in the original thread that it will be released sometime next month.

Slipped away on my lunch break today and did a little chipping in the yard, I am liking this ball more and more off the wedges each time I tinker with it. The firmness of the ball off the face really leaves a good feeling without feeling like a rock, it's the perfect mix to me. Add in the excellent visibilty in higher grass and it's a dead solid winner.

First, another big thanks to THP and staff for making all these sorts of things possible.

With no work and the weather finally cooperating today I was able to get out and test them. It was still shy of 60 degrees, but sunny, and with sufficient warming gear and in the sun I was able to survive the cold (hey, anything below 70 is cold to a native Floridian!) :bulgy-eyes:

Rather than go to a course for a round I went up to the golf learning center at the university up the street that has practice areas and a small practice course of a few par 3s a combination par 4/5 depending on which green you hit to on the approach. By doing this I was able to hit six balls on each hole - three Srizon Z-Star Yellow and three B330RX Yellows. So 6 balls on 3 holes was like playing 18, but gave me a chance to hit multiple shots from various locations and try different types of shots head-to-head. I don't write this as a comparison to extol the values of one or the other, but rather as a benchmark since it seems most people around here are familiar with the Z-Star and is also what I have been playing most the past year.

Driver/long woods: Here the B330RX was a clear, albeit slight, winner. Distance was similar but the B330RX showed clearly less sidespin for me and slightly better distance. Misses were more pronounced with the Z-Star by enough to notice, and pure shots were slightly longer with the B330RX, again enough to notice.

Mid-irons: Here I found the two balls to be mostly a push. Distance, trajectory, spin, etc were all similar on well struck shots. The B330RX had perhaps a bit lower trajectory but not by much. No issues with the wind. Feel was solid and consistent.

Short-irons: Again, very similar. I really love the feel of both and each are more than capable of going high, low, left, or right. Each had stopping power on the green, but the Z-Star seemed to consistently wind up closer to the pitch mark than the B330RX, even if only by a small amount.

Short-game: Chips and pitches were each consistent with wonderful feel from each. The big difference being that the Z-Star had more spin on those short pitches from the 10-20 yard range (think on the wrong side of a bunker to a tight pin). Each would hit, take a short first hop, and then the B330RX would roll out a good few feet further than the same shot from the Z-Star. In this area I would give the slight edge to the Z-Star if you really need more braking power in the short game (though in fairness I view the B330RXS as more a direct relation to the Z-Star, which would give more of that spin in a Bridgestone ball). Both perform well from the sand with the same type of response as mentioned above.

Putting: Push. Both are soft, both feel great, both roll true. If anything I like the Bridgestone slightly better if only because the dual lines above and below the B330-RX stamp on the side make a better alignment aid than the Z-Star on the side of the Srixon.

Durability: The extra spin from the Z-Star comes at the expense of a bit of durability. I especially noticed this on a thin shot from a bunker that left a scuff on one of the Z-Stars, but on another hole a thin wedge on an approach with the B330-RX left no mark at all (and it still stopped nicely on the green in spite of the less than perfect contact, I would add).

All in all the the B330RX yellow is a great ball. Like the Z-Star Yellow I find it easier to follow in the sky, find in the rough, and I like the contrast on the green between the yellow ball and my black putter.

For my game the B330-RX would be a great ball for a course that was narrow off the tee or I needed a little extra distance, or a scramble where I didn't want to play a rock. The Z-Star would be my choice if I really wanted more spin (or the B330-RXS - alas, not available in yellow). Either way I'd be playing a great ball and it would only take a slight adjustment around the green to account for the extra little bit of roll out from the B330RX.

I look forward to taking them out on a real course for a true round next week.

Played 18 holes with this ball again today and it performed extremely well in all aspects! Since I played alone later this afternoon, it wasn't too crowded but I did have to play through a threesome once. I hit a really nice drive down the middle and the guys were on the green looking down. They hollered down and said "nice drive" and told me to come on through. I grabbed my pitching wedge and threw one up on the green really nice and high and I heard them laughing. When I got up the hill, they told me that the ball had spun back nicely when it hit. I told them it was the new Bridgestone B330RX ball and it is so easy to spin. Then I proceeded to 3 putt on a downhill hard breaking green. Darn it! I do love this ball though!

Last edited:
I took the yellow ball out today to the course. It did such an awesome job! I really feel like I have a new ball, but I don't want to pay the price for it. It went great off the drives and really responded around the green. The color was easy to follow in the air and was easy to see on the dormant Bermuda fairway. I really like the way this ball putts too. I hope to make it out later this week to do some more testing.

Nice write up penglynns, I really like the yellow color of the RX a ton.

I know there are a lot of people that received these that have not posted yet. Lets hear from everybody.

I got a chance to test this ball out today thanks to Andy(johndeere10). My overall impressions were positive. It looks very similar to the yellow Srixon Z-Star series, which is my favorite ball. My normal ball is the Srixon Z-Star X.

I should start out by saying that the RX has never been one of my favorite balls. I find the feel off the longer clubs a bit muted due to the lower compression but that certainly isn't a huge problem. The overall performance is great. It launches higher off my irons than I am used to but thats fine too. Unless you are playing in windy conditions higher iron shots are a plus, especially if playing a course with firm greens. I can't really comment about distance off the irons since I was using a set of irons today that I'd never played before. I also can't comment on driver distance because I was playing a brand new driver as well.

The RX is a very good ball. I prefer the feel of a higher compression golf ball but the performance ranks right up there with the best tour level golf balls on the market. The yellow color makes the ball a bit easier to track in flight and a little easier to spot in the fairway or rough.

Its definitely easier to spot in the woods and pine straw... haha

Andy even managed to get it to stick on the cart path, now thats some serious spin... haha

100_4667.jpg

100_4653.jpg

100_4646.jpg

that looks really good infront of the wedge and putter, i really need to try a yellow ball lol, should look good infront of my R11 and Ghost putter

Great reviews everyone and I'm glad people are liking this ball. The more I hear from the reviewers the more I look forward to putting it in play.

These will get some serious testing tomorrow at the War at Willow Lakes. Gray, KB, and I will ALL BE USING THESE!

I know there are a lot of people that received these that have not posted yet. Lets hear from everybody.

JB I'm still waiting on mine.

JB I'm still waiting on mine.

I mentioned previously if they did not arrive by Friday, send GG a PM, and we will send you out another sleeve.

I mentioned previously if they did not arrive by Friday, send GG a PM, and we will send you out another sleeve.

Dang I didn't see that. I will send her a PM. Sorry about that JB.

Took the sleeve out to the course today. Only had to play one ball since I didn't loose any. :)
I was planning to alternate the B330-RX-Yellow with another ball for comparison, so I took it out on the second hole, but the drive was straight and longer than my usual 210, so I decided to continue playing with it.

My thoughts. Drives are long, 10-15 yds gain on the D2 feel I played here last time. I got good stopping on the greens, but I also had a new wedge, so I am not entirely sure what I should attribute it to. Drives, and fairway shots, were a bit straighter. Not by a whole lot, but I am sure that is an issue with my swing.

As I said, I didn't lose any balls today. I did hit it in the rough a few times, but was always able to find it. I was also able to track the ball flight better, so the color works for me.

My playing partner looked at the ball and said the color and finish "looks a little plastiqy". I am not sure I agree with him entirely, but that is a reaction some people will have. I liked the ball, including the color and finish overall. It is a good performer and I will definitely be looking it up in the stores.

Thanks to THP and Bridgestone for the chance to test it!

Back