TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Awesome feedback Hawk. Very thorough and very honest. Nothing worse than having some nagging injury whilst trying to hit balls.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Excellent write up Hawk. Sorry i wasn't able to join you today and I was forced to go hit balls into the net at the Golf Discount. It sucked.

Hawk (or other MC and CB testers), Has anyone figured out yet what, if any, differences there are between the 2 clubs?

Hawk (or other MC and CB testers), Has anyone figured out yet what, if any, differences there are between the 2 clubs?

I would venture to say there's quite a difference between the two. The cavity on the CB's is pretty substantial, which should lead to a higher launch and more forgiveness.

Spent a good part of my time at the range today hitting the CB's as fake golf didn't allow me to do so yesterday. I took the time to write down a lot of the distances I was seeing with these clubs and compared to my previous set, these clubs are a full club shorter (5-10 yds shorter) but the accuracy of these irons can't be disputed. Well struck balls as well as misses are all playable and just off the target line which is encouraging. When you flush a shot, boy does it feel good and the ball really gets up in the air. Somewhat penetrating but definitely not ballooning, somewhere in the middle I think. You can really hit some towering shots with these that should land nice and soft on the green. I really noticed that I found myself keeping my head down more through the shot which is something I've been working on as it's one of the things to first go wrong when I'm having an off day. It's almost like I want to watch the club face hit the ball and then I feel like my follow-through is more down the line because I've kept my head down. DO these irons correct swing flaws? no. But I do think that they help me focus more on the simple fundamentals of a swing which gives me more consistent results so far. I really really want to hit these on grass soon so I can see if what I'm seeing at the range will translate onto the course. The worst part about the time spent with these today was the fact that I could not hit the 5 iron very consistent which was odd to me. Hopefully that's something I can change soon

You last couple sentences reminded me that I had the same issues yesterday with the 4 and 5 iron, but it was operator error for sure. I didn't start swinging them until I was feeling my shoulder burn and I don't think I could get a good swing with them. The week prior, I was able to hit both of them very well.

Another bit about forgiveness. I had short range tee set up that I was hitting my Fybrid off of and I decided to swing the 3 iron with the ball on tee. The ball was probably a good 1/2 inch higher than I'd normally use with irons, but I figured WTH. Anyway, I was hitting some very short (for a 3 iron) shots that were low and ugly. I looked at the face and the ball marks were up towards the top. Makes sense due to the height of the tee. My thoughts on the forgiveness of these clubs is that they are similar to other irons on the edge between GI and GE. You will pay for mis hits, which is sort of refreshing to me in a way. I was playing what were essentially hybrid-irons last year and I honestly never looked to see where I was striking the ball. I knew when I pured one, but I didn't get much feedback about the quality of my ball striking. I will have to concentrate on ball striking to get the best results out of these, which can do nothing but improve my iron game in the long run.

Some great reviews coming in from you guy's, thanks for all the info. The high ball flight gives me a bit of a quandry, but sounds like they are showing a lot of accuracy and feel.

Thought I'd also say again how happy I was with the accuracy and consistency from the short irons. I wasn't very confident with the 9 iron and PW from my old irons when it came to accuracy. I also can't wait to hit the course with these. From what I've heard, they react to the turf very well and that's something I have been wanting since I have started to take more of a divot with my swing.

I love to hear the accuracy reviews. As it's a TP iron I didn't expect they'd have a lot of forgiveness. Can't wait to give 'em a try!

Tapatalking golfer on my iPhone!

By any chance does anyone know what the lie angle options are for the new TM CB iron? Given that it is not an all forged design, I wondered if that would make a difference. I've checked the TM site, and didn't see anything there. I've emailed TM but no response.
More specifically something around 3 degrees upright, 3/4 inch over (compared vs. Ping spec) would be the fitting.

Thanks,

Maybe you can call their customer service or go to a club fitter that is authorized for TM? I would assume you can order them to any specs (within reason, of course).

For those that are looking at the CB's and MC's and the differences between them this is my take. If you want as much forgiveness and distance that you can get out of a forged type club because you dont always hit the sweet spot then the CB's are for you. Theyre going to feel great, offer good distance and inspire confidence. If youre a very good ball striker and for the most part always hit the sweet spot then look at the MC's. But youre going to lose distance those times you do miss. They're like a players club for the every day good ball striker. For me, the CB's off just about everything Id look for in a set of irons and the choice would be simple.

I'd pick these for my game for sure. Last year, I don't think I would have chosen any of them since I really was just looking for something that would offer max forgiveness and distance. They offer plenty of distance with a good swing. I'm hitting these further than I hit my hybrid irons, but I believe that's due to hard work as opposed to the irons.

I'd pick these for my game for sure. Last year, I don't think I would have chosen any of them since I really was just looking for something that would offer max forgiveness and distance. They offer plenty of distance with a good swing. I'm hitting these further than I hit my hybrid irons, but I believe that's due to hard work as opposed to the irons.

Its pretty impressive that you can feel comfortable with these so soon. Shows me two things. That youve been working hard on your game and that these are very good irons. Just imagine if you lived somewhere warm and could work on your game all year. Youd be out of this thread and into the MC thread working balls all over the place lol

I went out on Saturday and got 18 in. I swear I get more excited to play golf with these clubs. I have always tried to play a lot and I have always loved going, but I have been like a kid at a candy store lately. So I headed off to the first tee that is a 376 yard dogleg right. You need to hit about a 225 yard club to be sitting pretty and keep the trouble out of play. I hit a choked down 3 wood and was right in the middle of the fairway, so I decided to hit a 5 iron just for grins. I hit it right on the sweet spot, the ball flight was a low penetrating flight that rose and landed softly and I was 155 out, I ended up going with my 3 wood shot though. The ball feels so awesome off a pured shot. My tee shot with my 3 wood was about 140 out with a little down hill. I hit my PW and pushed it a little but was pin high just off the green. The ball flight was incredible again. Nice and high with a soft landing.

I really hit my irons PURE on saturday, at first I thought these irons were about 5 yards shorter than my CG-7's but I am learning that they are almost spot on with them. I can not tell you just how good these feel when pured. they are a feel that I have not had in a set of clubs. I swear it feels so nice that I have to really look to make sure I hit the darn ball. Here is an example that these puppies are longer than I thought. Par 4, 429 yards. I hit 3 wood to keep the water out of play. I was about 180 out to a slightly uphill green. I took a 7 iron and hit it PURE PURE, I went with 7 because its a very small green and anything over is GONE. I figured I was better off coming up short. Anyway, it ended up about 8 feet from the pin. 2 putt for par. It is taking me a little while to get used to the distances. if its pured, then they are spot on, if you have a miss, the clubs are forgiving, but there is distance loss. I am ok with straight and a little shorter.

Overall, I hit most of my clubs throughout the round. I am having prett good success with my irons so far and I can only imagine that as I get used to hitting them that I will score better. I am truly enjoying playing these irons and I do not foresee taking them out of my bag any time. I ended my 18 with an 83, which I was pretty happy with. I am not looking at my scores so much as I am looking at my ball striking, and I was VERY happy with that.

I want to recap what I am seeing with these irons. The ball flight is penetrating but rises to land softly, when hit pure they are some of the best feeling irons I have hit, forgiving but not as much as you would see in a true GI, and quite frankly some of the best looking irons I have seen. Dont let the word FORGED or TP scare you away from these

Love the feedback One T. Sounds like these irons are pretty long. Ive gamed the CG7's so I definitely have a good gauge of distance it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the feedback One T. Sounds like these irons are pretty long. Ive gamed the CG7's so I definitely have a good gauge of distance it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are not longer than the average iron I dont think, but I just didnt want people to think they were shorter. Thanks Bro

Awesome post One-T, sounds like these clubs are working for you dude.

Ok, I'm back. Icy on the roads. First off, I'm pretty sure I injured myself slightly. The muscle directly under my shoulder was very painful after hitting a few balls today and it just got worse as time went on. It really affected my range of motion, and as a result, my swing speed and accuracy. Not making excuses, because my iron play was actually pretty good, but just giving the facts. Conditions today were cold at the range. I was in a sort of heated stall and the temperature outside was ~30 and misting. Before I started feeling the pain I was still noticing about a 5-10 yard loss of distance with the range balls compared to last week. Enough with that, on to the CB's.

As I mentioned earlier, I was extremely pleased with my irons today, especially on the range. I hit about 150 balls and hit mostly irons with some of the rest of my bag mixed in. I also played some fake holes and used targets as my focal point. I found that I was able to take aim at a target and get the ball close more times than not. Of course, I had some duds mixed in, but the accuracy was quite pleasing. Ball flight on well struck shots was high and I didn't have a hard time keeping the ball straight. When I got lazy, I was hitting a very high fade with about 10-20 yards of left-right movement. I mixed in a couple pulls as well, which went really far, but to the left of course. What's this tell me? That a good swing gives you good results and an OTT move will do what it always does. I especially enjoyed the accuracy I was seeing from the 8 iron to the PW. I really felt confident with all three clubs and hit a lot of really pretty shots with them.

Feel today was a mixed bag. Well struck shots felt and sounded great of course, but mis hits were kind of rough. It hit a couple hosel rockets that really stung and some of my worst toe shots didn't feel very good. Again, I was hitting the ball in below freezing temps, so I'm not going to give the CB's a mark off for that. Also, I grabbed a 9 iron and hit an e6 into the range and it felt completely different than the range balls. In fact, it felt downright heavenly. It was incredibly soft off the face and sounded a bit lower toned than the clicky (I really hate that word) range balls. As a side note, the e6 traveled about 10 yards farther than the best range ball I hit.

So, I said I was going to focus on forgiveness and I haven't forgotten. I have a picture below of an eight iron with four distinct shots. This was at the very beginning of my session, when I was still getting warmed up.

DSC00677.jpg

Starting on the left, you can see a very toed shot. Then, there are two shots low on the face right next to each other. Finally, there is a shot that was right in the center of the face.

First of all, I was able to tell that I hit the toe, hit it low, and hit it clean, respectively. Ball flight was substantially different. Today, I was hitting my 8 iron about 130 yards with a clean shot. The center face shot was towering and went that distance. The two shots lower on the face were thinnish, but not too thin. They traveled to 120 and were actually higher than I would have expected. They were what I would describe as mid-high. The toe shot was bad. Really bad. It faded off and only made it about 105 yards. There you have it. Low on the face, not too bad. Way out on the toe, pretty punishing as you may expect.

Here is a photo of the 7 iron.

DSC00679.jpg

I am going to talk about the shot that produced the mark low on the face out towards the toe. I don't remember the exact yardage of this shot, but I was very surprised how high the ball flew and that I wasn't punished too much in terms of distance loss. I think it was in the 10-15 yard range, which isn't bad for what I would consider some pretty poor ball striking.

I'll add more as I get more time.

Great review buddy!!! How much do you love a pured shot with these??

Great review buddy!!! How much do you love a pured shot with these??

Feel, sound, and ballflight are all just about perfect for me on well struck balls. Great writeup on your weekend experiences as well. Once the snow is gone, I'm going to play a couple practice rounds with a few balls to get a good handle on distances and how they perform for me from a variety of lies. I'm living vicariously through you right now :)

I've got a question about the term "pure shot" with these irons, how close do you have to get to perfect to hit that "pure" shot?

I've got a question about the term "pure shot" with these irons, how close do you have to get to perfect to hit that "pure" shot?

My best results come with ball first contact, center face. I don't know that I could narrow it down any further at this point. In other words, to me, a center face shot may waver a 5 mm or so, but it is basically right in the center of the face.

Feel, sound, and ballflight are all just about perfect for me on well struck balls. Great writeup on your weekend experiences as well. Once the snow is gone, I'm going to play a couple practice rounds with a few balls to get a good handle on distances and how they perform for me from a variety of lies. I'm living vicariously through you right now :)

Thats fine buddy, I will video tape my entire next round for you so you can see every shot!! haha

It does not have to be struck perfect. I am not that consistant of a ball striker. Look at Hawks last write up, in the top of the two pics you can see where he hit one out on the toe and then where he has the two ball marks side by side. I would say that both of those shots felt pure'd. Make sense?

This would be my guess

Club.jpg

One-T;530831It does not have to be struck perfect. I am not that consistant of a ball striker. Look at Hawks last write up said:
That does make sense now, I got a little scared as I'm not a perfect ball striker by any means! I can't wait to try these out.

Back