TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Does TM offer customized swing weights in this set? Can you order heavier/lighter sticks direct?

hey bro, i pre ordered the mc's at a pro shop here in allentown,pa called valley golf certified dealer. i go fitted an i have a high swing speed i got upgraded shafts. project x with thicker shaft but lighter weight i think he said. it was 20 more a club. but game me a deal for only 10 so was pretty cool.

This is good to know. I had heard different stories on this and I will check with TM on this. It would be nice if it is adjustable so I don't have to play the lead weight game on the short irons. I guess I was misinformed and that is why I love this site always someone that can come up with the right answer.

Fyi the pw is d3 and the other irons d2 by default

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I guess the crux of my question is the point beind the swingweight being (conceivably) removable/adjustable. If the option isn't there to modify the weight of the club why not just form the club without a screwed in weight?

My other thought is that the weight is a different material than the rest of the clubhead (some heavier metal). In essence, the applied weight would assist in ways that were not possible by utilizing the 1025 steel without adding undue bulk to the clubhead and jeopardizing performance. Does this make sense?

I'm not sure if this was already commented on or clarified. I understand the center of gravity argument pertaining to the weighting but I would think that could also be done as part of the original forging/club design processes.

I really like the look. I'm just trying to understand it.

I think you pose some great questions CL. I am wondering if the purpose of the weight is to make small tweaks to an intended swing weight and if a large change would throw off the autonomy of the club.

On a separate note, I have not been to the course in 2 days and it is driving me crazy. All this rain is going to really make the course beautiful, but it definitely puts a hamper on my 15-20 hours a week of practice/playing time. Maybe I need a girlfriend.

dude it's raining so hard here and will do so until tomorrow morning I just hope the courses dry out in time for the weekend. It's going to be mid-50's here and I need to start doing some on course hitting before I go insane. Of course it's supposed to be windy here too . Ugh.

The more I think about the weightr on these irons as well as the CB's, it would be cool if they could be interchanged like the driver weights

I think you pose some great questions CL. I am wondering if the purpose of the weight is to make small tweaks to an intended swing weight and if a large change would throw off the autonomy of the club.

On a separate note, I have not been to the course in 2 days and it is driving me crazy. All this rain is going to really make the course beautiful, but it definitely puts a hamper on my 15-20 hours a week of practice/playing time. Maybe I need a girlfriend.

I guess the crux of my question is the point beind the swingweight being (conceivably) removable/adjustable. If the option isn't there to modify the weight of the club why not just form the club without a screwed in weight?

My other thought is that the weight is a different material than the rest of the clubhead (some heavier metal). In essence, the applied weight would assist in ways that were not possible by utilizing the 1025 steel without adding undue bulk to the clubhead and jeopardizing performance. Does this make sense?

I'm not sure if this was already commented on or clarified. I understand the center of gravity argument pertaining to the weighting but I would think that could also be done as part of the original forging/club design processes.

I really like the look. I'm just trying to understand it.

I think people get confused between swing weight and regular weight in terms of club building (not directed at you CL). The weight was there so they could get the exact weight they wanted in a club head without altering design according to the R&D team.

I think people get confused between swing weight and regular weight in terms of club building (not directed at you CL). The weight was there so they could get the exact weight they wanted in a club head without altering design according to the R&D team.

I would say that is fair. I'm completely confused by it.

dude it's raining so hard here and will do so until tomorrow morning I just hope the courses dry out in time for the weekend. It's going to be mid-50's here and I need to start doing some on course hitting before I go insane. Of course it's supposed to be windy here too . Ugh.

The more I think about the weightr on these irons as well as the CB's, it would be cool if they could be interchanged like the driver weights

Rain is awesome/sucks. My weekend is supposed to be 70 and sunny so I am very excited about hitting some balls around the course.

I have mixed emotions about changing the weights as most golfers, IMO, would not know what they are doing or why they would be changing the weights. I certainly know that I would not have a clue what I was doing as I know nothing about club design. I think they would run into a situation where people could mess things up and then make the clubs perform horribly and then they would go on the used rack with messed up weighting. For those who know what they are doing, this would be a fantastic option though. For me, I would rather not have that option until I learned a lot more about clubmaking and swing weighting and such. I think they use blue locktite to lock the screws in as I saw some blue residue in the cavity when I first got them.

I have no clue the difference between swing weight and regular weight, I am not going to lie. I think I am going to have to look it up now.

im with ya buddy. im in allentown pa well right near it, but its raining like crazy plus in the 40s. i gotta wait til 25th for my mc's. its insane the wait ughhhhhh

god I hope it dries out for the weekend, though I am not very optimistic. I really need to get my MC's on the course.

Well guys...

The monitor was out today at the local rec center, so no range time for Gus. They are supposed to have someone from the company fix it this weekend so I have another tee-time set for monday. Sorry that I keep sucking this big review up. If it is in my control, I should have those hard numbers up monday night. Again, sorry that things haven't been working out with this.

Well guys...

The monitor was out today at the local rec center, so no range time for Gus. They are supposed to have someone from the company fix it this weekend so I have another tee-time set for monday. Sorry that I keep sucking this big review up. If it is in my control, I should have those hard numbers up monday night. Again, sorry that things haven't been working out with this.

Its a marathon not a sprint, you are doing just fine.

I was supposed to go look at a house today so I got out of work a little early. Unfortunately the realtor had to reschedule our appointment which meant I was able to sneak off to the range for a quick bucket. If you haven't noticed, it's raining all over the northeast today, and my area was not the exception. Either way I was happy to get out and have a chance to hit these again.

It was not my best day ball striking wise. I warmed up like always with my 8 iron. As I have mentioned before I am very comfortable with that club. After a nice warm up series I decided today I would focus on hitting the 5 and 6 irons. I jumped to the 5 iron and had some bad results including some shots that made my hands sting a little. After about 5 or 6 horrible swings I stepped back and tried to smooth out my swing. I think when I get the 5 iron in my hands I try to kill the ball and it gets my swing all out of whack. Anyway I decided to go back to the 8 iron and work my way down to the 5. This seemed to have work because by time I got down to the final few balls with the 5 iron I was able to string together some quality shots.

The real good news is that I am traveling down to southern jersey to play a round on Saturday with my fellow MC tester golf4life. On Sunday I will once again get a round with g4l, but also with Taylormade TP CB Tester Hanks, and Wilson Staff Di11 tester OEM. I'm really looking forward to both rounds as I will be able to compare the MCs to the CBs.

I was supposed to go look at a house today so I got out of work a little early. Unfortunately the realtor had to reschedule our appointment which meant I was able to sneak off to the range for a quick bucket. If you haven't noticed, it's raining all over the northeast today, and my area was not the exception. Either way I was happy to get out and have a chance to hit these again.

It was not my best day ball striking wise. I warmed up like always with my 8 iron. As I have mentioned before I am very comfortable with that club. After a nice warm up series I decided today I would focus on hitting the 5 and 6 irons. I jumped to the 5 iron and had some bad results including some shots that made my hands sting a little. After about 5 or 6 horrible swings I stepped back and tried to smooth out my swing. I think when I get the 5 iron in my hands I try to kill the ball and it gets my swing all out of whack. Anyway I decided to go back to the 8 iron and work my way down to the 5. This seemed to have work because by time I got down to the final few balls with the 5 iron I was able to string together some quality shots.

The real good news is that I am traveling down to southern jersey to play a round on Saturday with my fellow MC tester golf4life. On Sunday I will once again get a round with g4l, but also with Taylormade TP CB Tester Hanks, and Wilson Staff Di11 tester OEM. I'm really looking forward to both rounds as I will be able to compare the MCs to the CBs.

Do you think this is because of the weight of the club ddec?

Do you think this is because of the weight of the club ddec?

No I think it's me trying to hit the 5 as far as I possibly can. I really like the weight of these clubs. Right now the 5 just seems to be that club where my grip pressure gets too strong and I get too quick in my transition. I'll tell you when I stopped and then started from the 8 and moved down in order to the 5 with a smoother swing the ball flew nice and high with a great ball flight and plenty of distance to make me happy. This isn't a new problem for me, the longer irons have plagued me for the last few years. I'm sure it's also a mental thing.

No I think it's me trying to hit the 5 as far as I possibly can. I really like the weight of these clubs. Right now the 5 just seems to be that club where my grip pressure gets too strong and I get too quick in my transition. I'll tell you when I stopped and then started from the 8 and moved down in order to the 5 with a smoother swing the ball flew nice and high with a great ball flight and plenty of distance to make me happy. This isn't a new problem for me, the longer irons have plagued me for the last few years. I'm sure it's also a mental thing.

I struggle with this mental aspect too. Whichever is the longest iron I have in my bag, I typically struggle to hit it well as I am always tempted to try and hit it as far as I can. When I played my R7s, my longest iron was my 5 and it caused me fits. With the MCs, I now have a 3 iron and I often struggle to swing within myself with this club. When I swing easy and in control, I get plenty of distance with the MC 3 iron. But try telling my stubborn brain that sometimes out on the course.

Probably one of the best things that has happened to my swing this year due to playing the MCs (and less forgiveness than my previous irons) is I have consciously forced myself to swing at 80% almost all the time, which has lead to much more solid ball striking and better scores. I wonder now if I switched back to other GI irons if those swing changes would allow me to play as well as I have been with the MCs..... At some point soon I may test that out.

I know that well. I do it all the time. And that's usually when I start slicing the ball. Definitely something to be said for a nice smooth swing. Best of luck this weekend down in Jersey!

I struggle with this mental aspect too. Whichever is the longest iron I have in my bag, I typically struggle to hit it well as I am always tempted to try and hit it as far as I can. When I played my R7s, my longest iron was my 5 and it caused me fits. With the MCs, I now have a 3 iron and I often struggle to swing within myself with this club. When I swing easy and in control, I get plenty of distance with the MC 3 iron. But try telling my stubborn brain that sometimes out on the course.

Probably one of the best things that has happened to my swing this year due to playing the MCs (and less forgiveness than my previous irons) is I have consciously forced myself to swing at 80% almost all the time, which has lead to much more solid ball striking and better scores. I wonder now if I switched back to other GI irons if those swing changes would allow me to play as well as I have been with the MCs..... At some point soon I may test that out.

I would find that very intriguing myself.

In all of my testing with the 2.0's I came to one conclusion: they don't like being over powered. Sounds like you guys are finding the same things with these sticks. It's a very good lesson to learn. My ball striking and distances have never been better, all with what feels like a much smoother swing.

I have finally gotten it through my thick skull that this is pretty much always the case. As a result my ball striking is improving, although I still seem to try to put too much on it with my driver.

:clapp:ON COURSE TESTING:clapp:

Teed it up with fellow MC tester golf4life today. This was my first time hitting these beautiful sticks on grass and they sure didn't disappoint.

Distance was fairly similar to my older set(Ping i10's w/similar lofts). It was pretty windy out today but I found myself hitting 7 irons in to the wind from about 150 yards. At some points it was a 2 club wind. I also hit a lot of knock down type of shots in these conditions. My last approach shot of the day was a PW, uphill from 124 yards and the ball landed right in the middle of the green. I also saw that I was not hitting the ball as high off the grass as I was off of the mats up home. On a day like today, I was glad that I wasn't hitting a real high ball.

Turf Interaction was something I was really looking forward to. After hearing from all of the other testers for all 3 sets that have been on a course I was really excited to see if I would see the same type of results they were. Short answer: Yes! These things cut through the turf with no effort whatsoever. I had a club get stuck once, but I really dug in on that shot. I know it was mentioned in an earlier post in the CB thread that these cut through so well that it seemed to sometimes cause a miss high on the face. I did not have any of those types of shots today.

Feel - getting to use some different balls instead of beaten, frozen range balls made these feel even better then previously reported. When you catch this ball in the middle of the face it feels like one of the best irons I have ever hit. I think it will be very hard to find an iron on the market that feels as good as these.

Forgiveness - I seemed to strike these a little more consistently then I had been on the range. That could be because instead of getting in to a rapid fire range session I was hitting a shot then waiting a few minutes and then hitting another. I did have a few that were off towards to toe and they resulted in a weak shot that ended up getting tossed around in the wind. If I had to put a number on it, I would say 10+ yards in distance loss.

Approach shots landed softly, which wasn't a huge surprise because of all the rain that came through the area on Thursday. Though the greens were fairly dry I'm sure they were much more receptive then they were earlier in the week. I was able to spin the ball back a few times.

As for the 5 iron project. I hit it 4 times today, 2 were for punch out shots that got the job done. From the fairway on 17 I had 290 yards to the green so I hit the 5 and ended up with 110 left. The ball flew straight and it was great contact. On the 18th I was playing position golf with the 5 iron from the fairway and I didn't catch it right, the ball carried just enough to stay out of the water, but it wasn't exactly a shot to write home about.

Anyway, the round is over and I will be playing again tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. Today I saw what these irons can do and I have some confidence in the way I hit them today. I'm hoping tomorrow won't be as windy that way I should be able to get some better yardages.

Last edited:
Great stuff ddec, glad you were able to get on grass finally.

As DDec just posted, we were able to tee it up today on a relatively warm, but very windy day in South Jersey.

Overall, continued to enjoy good success hitting the MC irons today. Unfortunately my driving and putting were pretty pathetic so my score was nothing to write home about. The key to hitting these effectively is a smooth, in control swing. When you hit the sweetspot, these sticks continue to reward with the most consistent performance I've ever enjoyed with irons. I was even able to effectively hit a 4 iron into a 200 yard Par 3, dead into the wind. (If you read JNRadio's recap in the "what did you shoot today" thread, that was the same par 3 at Scotland Run). I also hit a couple nice, piercing 5 irons for some long approach shots today that went straight onto the green.

My iron striking was not perfect either though, and I put a horrible swing on one ball with a 5 iron, leaving the approach about 40 yards short, and another caught very fat leaving me 30 yards short of the green.

I did have the opportunity to hit about 3 less than full PWs into greens, and again enjoyed these irons ability to perform partial swings and hit the green each of these times.

Each good swing with these irons was proceeded by me consciously deciding to swing smoothly and in control. This is THE key to my ball striking, and these irons will punish you if you aren't on your A game.

Also, as DDec shook off the rust, I saw him hit some very nice iron shots, perhaps the nicest was his 5 iron from the fairway on the murderously long 17th hole.

So intrigued by these. To those who have these, what irons you have hit in the past compare as far as the forgiveness?

So intrigued by these. To those who have these, what irons you have hit in the past compare as far as the forgiveness?

I've never gamed game enhancement irons like these before. The closest thing I've played to these was one round with Titleist AP2s when they were the rental option. I like the feel and sound of these better than the AP2s, but forgiveness was in the same ball park from my relatively small sample size. These are not nearly as forgiving as the Cobra S3s I've been playing recently though.

Back