Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

Thinking 54w and 58LB w should happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm strongly considering a similar setup, except 56 and 60.

I’m using apex pro AW so trying to new yardage gaps to less than 15 yds between each clubs

I listened to the podcast on the wedges the other night, RFC was dropping some serious knowledge bombs. :oops:

I listened to the podcast on the wedges the other night, RFC was dropping some serious knowledge bombs. :oops:
He's always a ton of fun to listen to talk about wedges.

Looks like he’s all over this launch

Seems to be. The way he explained the grinds and what you should be playing was amazing.

i didn’t pay enough attachment to the last launch, but was he not as vocal/visible for the last launch? i would agree though, he has been very visible this time around.

i didn’t pay enough attachment to the last launch, but was he not as vocal/visible for the last launch? i would agree though, he has been very visible this time around.
Always to some degree. Not like this though.

Smart move by Callaway here.

I’m using apex pro AW so trying to new yardage gaps to less than 15 yds between each clubs

I use Apex Pro AW as well. My 19 Pros give me 15 yards between each iron, so I find going from 50 AW Pro to 56 muscleback wedge carries on that 15 yard gapping for me. Pro AW is 125, 56 MD4 is 110.

If you want less than 15 yards, I think you're on the right track.

Went with a W grind in the 56 Jaws. I've always used an S grind there (or equivalent) so I'm excited to see how the higher bounce works for me. Cant hurt in the rainy season right?

I have a 59* Trusty Rusty that has the Tri-Bounce sole with a mid/high/mid bounce profile (as best as I can tell; I can't find precise numbers) that I get along well with. I think the X- and C-grinds are most similar to this Tri-Bounce sole.

I also have a 59* LW with only 5* bounce that I can stick in the ground with the best of them, which makes me hesitant about the C-grind's 8* bounce.

Does a 60* X-grind make sense here, or am I completely misunderstanding things?

The X has a lot more bounce than the C. But still has a bit of the relief like the C. For straight faced shots the X is perfect, if you play open faced a lot then the C would be the choice. I’ve got a 58X of the MD4 and have always got on well with it, have ordered the W Low in 60 for the Jaws just to try it out. Hope it’s the right choice.

I am, however, going to keep the 58X just in case, and perhaps for when the ground is really soggy. That’ll be fully dependent on how I get on with the W of course.

I still can’t get over how light the overall weight feeling was to me side by side with several other wedges on the market. I know that’s part of the goal, but still, it was pretty surprising to me.

That's the one concern I have. I like to feel more weight in the head in my wedges. Still deciding on grind options but when compared to some other recent releases to the market, the overall weight definitely feels lighter. I'm hoping my Edwin Watts gets a demo or too in, even if it's not my preferred grind.

Had a chance to hold these in hand this afternoon. It's a good looking wedge. Noticed a slight difference in shape vs the MD4. At least, I thought I saw some differences, lol. The MD4 seems to be a little more rounded from hosel to toe on the top. The Jaws seems to have a slightly sharper toe. I wanted to say the leading edge seemed straighter, but if it is, it's not by much.

Jaws is on the bottom then the right.
20190921_135555.jpg20190921_135548.jpg

Had a chance to hold these in hand this afternoon. It's a good looking wedge. Noticed a slight difference in shape vs the MD4. At least, I thought I saw some differences, lol. The MD4 seems to be a little more rounded from hosel to toe on the top. The Jaws seems to have a slightly sharper toe. I wanted to say the leading edge seemed straighter, but if it is, it's not by much.

Jaws is on the bottom then the right.
View attachment 8908872View attachment 8908873

At least I now know that the Jaws that I ordered blind is going to look exactly the same as the MD4s I have, except for some blue bits. Heartening.

At least I now know that the Jaws that I ordered blind is going to look exactly the same as the MD4s I have, except for some blue bits. Heartening.

I wouldn't say they'll look exactly the same. Very similar for sure. Seems to be some subtle differences.

I can't wait to see how these perform. They didn't have a low bounce W grind in the shop. I'm still very interested to see what that's all about.

I still can’t get over how light the overall weight feeling was to me side by side with several other wedges on the market. I know that’s part of the goal, but still, it was pretty surprising to me.

Oh boy, that's no good for me. I like to feel that head weight throughout the swing, especially around the green.

I already have a 50.10 S grind MD3, so I went with a 52.12 W grind MD5 for something different and more set blendy, will bend it to 50.10

Going to take a lot to compete with my VCG 50° though, I absolutely love that club

Winner Wedge, I'm thinking 60.12 X will be similar to my Nike Dual Sole 60°

I wouldn't say they'll look exactly the same. Very similar for sure. Seems to be some subtle differences.

I can't wait to see how these perform. They didn't have a low bounce W grind in the shop. I'm still very interested to see what that's all about.

Yep, the one coming to me this week is a 60/08 Low W. Going to keep my 58* X MD4 though for the really mushy period in winter just in case.

I play
Oh boy, that's no good for me. I like to feel that head weight throughout the swing, especially around the green.

It’s more the overall package’s weight than the head. I could still feel the head and SW is still D3/D4 so that is still there.

Overall weight and swing weight aren’t always bedfellows, thank god. Hahaha

I like the idea of a Custom made JAWS wedge. (y) The added color makes it really pop!

Jaws_Callaway.jpg

Back