BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Wow look at the pullback on those! They look delicious! I now want ribs haha

It was kind of crazy eating the regular ribs alongside the Iberico. They are totally different and a completely unique experience. Far more tender. Incredible flavor.

So a couple weeks ago I took the money I had been putting away for either new irons or a new driver and I used it to purchase my wife a Komado Joe Classic II (she is the grill master in the relationship) for an early Christmas gift. They were having a factory sale at there HQ in Columbus, GA so I was about to pick one up that had only been used a time or two in demos at Costcos. My wife was pretty darn happy about since the Akorn grill we had rusted out. So far all she has had a chance to grill yet are steaks, but Joe performed well and I can't wait to get some ribs on it.

I am still stewing over pellet smokers. I am keeping my egg but want a pellet for ribs and brisket. On the temp dial the ones I have seen say smoke at one setting then temps are listed. If you put it on smoke what temp does it smoke at?
I am sure I am confusing but trying to get my small mind around this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still stewing over pellet smokers. I am keeping my egg but want a pellet for ribs and brisket. On the temp dial the ones I have seen say smoke at one setting then temps are listed. If you put it on smoke what temp does it smoke at?
I am sure I am confusing but trying to get my small mind around this

I think “smoke” is slightly different on various smokers. On my Traeger, I can have “super smoke” set on any temp between 160 and 225. On the first traegers, I think smoke setting was between 150-180, but couldn’t be controlled.

I think “smoke” is slightly different on various smokers. On my Traeger, I can have “super smoke” set on any temp between 160 and 225. On the first traegers, I think smoke setting was between 150-180, but couldn’t be controlled.

Got ya. I was looking at the put boss at lowes. It said dual control I wonder if that means you set a temp to smoke or not smoke?

Got ya. I was looking at the put boss at lowes. It said dual control I wonder if that means you set a temp to smoke or not smoke?

I believe the pit boss smokers have the smoke setting @ around 200°. Not adjustable.

I bought this today. Traeger Pro 780.
After talking with Nate I really wanted a Rec Tec but a locally owned store here is a Traeger dealer so I bought from them. I like to buy local when I can.
Assembly was easy and just finished seasoning it. Putting a slab of baby backs on now. My fingers are crossed that they turn out good.
935eaf131f774daff63f3e937a9cd9f4.jpg

Annnnnnnd 3 racks of St. Louis on for the family Thanksgiving per request of the fam.

Went MC Honey Hog, Killer Hog BBQ Rub, and Kosmos Killer Bee

I really wish I could use some of the rubs we have with more bite, but, the fam on the Doc’s side, nor all the kids, are down with that.

I do think Honey Hog is our family favorite though.

Got 2 9lb turkey breasts sitting in brine since last night. Going to inject when removing and then going in the smoker around 10am.

Everything I’ve read says 40mins per pound so if my math is correct they should be done around 4pm right?

Got 2 9lb turkey breasts sitting in brine since last night. Going to inject when removing and then going in the smoker around 10am.

Everything I’ve read says 40mins per pound so if my math is correct they should be done around 4pm right?

Depends on temp, but it would be 4pm using those figures. I usually put a probe in and pull when it hits 165°, but I run mine hot and fast, between 325° and 350°.

That seems about right. We have two 8 lb breasts going on today too. Feast contest one is going to be a good one today

Depends on temp, but it would be 4pm using those figures. I usually put a probe in and pull when it hits 165°, but I run mine hot and fast, between 325° and 350°.

I will be using a probe in one of them...since I only have one probe haha. The 40mins/lb was based on smoking at 225 degrees, I could crank it up higher to cook faster but low/slow worked well last year

That seems about right. We have two 8 lb breasts going on today too. Feast contest one is going to be a good one today
What temp do you cook them at? Is 225 too low?

I will be using a probe in one of them...since I only have one probe haha. The 40mins/lb was based on smoking at 225 degrees, I could crank it up higher to cook faster but low/slow worked well last year

Go with what you know works for you. I've always done H/F because I like the skin crispy.

What temp do you cook them at? Is 225 too low?

Morgan is cooking at 300. Takes about 4 hours that way. 225 isn’t too low though.

Morgan is cooking at 300. Takes about 4 hours that way. 225 isn’t too low though.

Well she has done way more testing than I have. Maybe I will try that temp and not have to put it in so early haha

Well she has done way more testing than I have. Maybe I will try that temp and not have to put it in so early haha

Looking forward to the pics

So this year, brined the bird and trying something different. Mixed olive oil mayo with some honey garlic rub and a generous amount of fresh chopped sage, thyme, and rosemary. Rubbed the bird all over and under skin with the mayo and stuffed it with cut lemons, onion, and more fresh herbs.

Here’s the before shot:

4647DC23-B40D-492A-98BD-D6A749456F65.jpeg

I’m going to Smoke/roast it on the Big Green Egg with a drip pan below with some white wine and chicken stock in it for gravy.

So this year, brined the bird and trying something different. Mixed olive oil mayo with some honey garlic rub and a generous amount of fresh chopped sage, thyme, and rosemary. Rubbed the bird all over and under skin with the mayo and stuffed it with cut lemons, onion, and more fresh herbs.

Here’s the before shot:

View attachment 8916454

Make sure you post these in the Turkey Day Feast Contest Thread.

I don’t think you can really go wrong either way. If they don’t have skin on low and slow is always good. I generally cook poultry at 325-350 to get the skin crispy(er), and don’t have any issues with dryness usually.

Just ran to the store and picked up a chub of bologna and threw it on too. Sooooooooo gooooooooodddddddd

So electric smoker only goes to 275 :confused: guess next year it will be a pellet grill haha

Back