Callaway Super Hybrid

I have a 20 and 23 degree Super Hybrid in my Grandaddy bag. The stock 80 gram Tensei Orange fit me very well with Trackman numbers in the high 240's total distance for the 20 degree. I cannot wait to hit it some more.
That is a big distance for the 4 Hybrid!

Still curious about this one, not sure I’ll ever see one to hit though.

The rings move and the shaft stays in the same spot.
That will save some people from their OCD making them regrip if they adjust it...

Still curious about this one, not sure I’ll ever see one to hit though.

I think it's the future. For playing long shots off the fairway, or for accuracy from tee boxes. 39" to 42" shafts make better sense than 43" shafted fairway woods.

Ugh I am so tempted to just pull the trigger on the 17 degree. I hardly hit my FW and prefer the hybrid shape.... Tempting.

Excited to hear more feedback from the GD guys

Ugh I am so tempted to just pull the trigger on the 17 degree. I hardly hit my FW and prefer the hybrid shape.... Tempting.

This is me but the Rogue FW has been good to me... I’m thinking about replacing a Rogue X 3 Hybrid bent to 17°... Decisions .

This is me but the Rogue FW has been good to me... I’m thinking about replacing a Rogue X 3 Hybrid bent to 17°... Decisions .

Funny story from this past week about this very thing. Stu, from the Hideaway plays the Rogue hybrid and likes it. He wanted to test the 17 Super and hit rockets with it. He said “I will have one before this event is over”.

Funny story from this past week about this very thing. Stu, from the Hideaway plays the Rogue hybrid and likes it. He wanted to test the 17 Super and hit rockets with it. He said “I will have one before this event is over”.
Stu was an awesome host for our group on Thursday and I saw him get a 2020 driver head that he put his +1.5 inch shaft into.

Stu said that? Full ponder mode is on...

You should give it a look. I have the 17*. I wanted a versatile club for off the tee and on long par 5's. Hit it in two long par 5s situations. Carried one 254 from the rough and it landed on the green and held on. I had a another 250 shot on the last hole. Thinned it a bit and it hit a low fade bullet that rolled forever 5 feet from the green. Very forgiving too. I love how easy it is to control. I could hit high bombs and low bullets and it never hooks left, which I struggle with hybrids. It checks everything I'm looking for for a versatile 'green in 2' par 5 club for 230-260 range. If its beyond that, that's when I use my 3 wood. This acts more like a 3-4 hybrid for me.

You are describing my situation to a T. I carried a three wood to basically complete my set. I bought the 17 and knocked it down to 16. Best move I’ve made in my long clubs for a long time. I am done with FW’s.

Got to play nine today and used this as my tee club the whole day just to get in sync with it. Missed two fairways with it , but not bad. Hitting a screamer on a second shot into a par 5 and was greenside. Very happy with this club off of the deck and tee. I am so glad the Gang at Callaway released this club.

i received this club as a result of my fitting for the 2019 grandaddy of em all. it was the 23* set to +1 neutral, stock stiff shaft, half inch short, d2 swingweight.

my fitter gerritt liked the launch and distance i was getting out of it. we also tried a new hybrid, and while i much preferred the look and feel of the new hybrid, he didn’t like the distance and dispersion. he was right, the super was just better and gapped properly.

on the course over the next couple days i hit it a few times. my miss was thin, and right. the half inch short accounts for the thin, and the right is a result of the design. the highlight of the two days was the par 3 15th on the clive. it is a long par 3, playing even longer with pin location, wind, rain and cold. if i’m not mistaken, @LaQuintaLooper gave is a number around 220-230. i chose the super hybrid, and put a decent but not perfect move on it. caught it flush but a little que*fy fade. it ended up pin high on the right side of the green and i 2-putted for par on a very difficult hole.

i hit more poor shots than i did good shots, though. that said, they were poor swings so not at all the clubs fault. i’m actually really excited to get comfortable with this, because it’s so damn easy to launch and carry, which is exactly what i want in that spot.

for reference, i was playing a cobra f8 3h with stock ust mamiya recoil smacwrap 680-es f4. everything about the super is easier and better than the f8, which is a very good hybrid.

more to come as i continue to figure it out. please be sure to let me know if you have any questions.

I am still in ponder mode. I really want a 17* model. Maybe for Christmas.

Tried the stock 20* in stiff and X, the X gave me ball speeds in the mid 120's and carry of mid 190's. Not bad, but not any better than my titleist 21*, they did not have any other shafts to try. I am walking into Edwin watts now to see if they have any other options.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Edwin Watts only had the same setups in the SH and Club Champion did not have any, It was fun to hit and maybe with a different shaft I might get more out of it. The stock shaft just did not wow me and felt pretty dead to me, but that is just me. I guess for a 20* the numbers weren't bad for my SS, reading all the amazing numbers others are getting I was hoping for and easy 200+ carry and it was just not there.

Perfect strikes gave me a high of 197 with roll out to 210, but there were a lot more that went 175 and a both way miss. I tried the Regular and Stiff flex multiple times and neither one was even close to the X flex numbers for me and wildly unpredictable, just weird how that works with my swing.

Got the notification today that the Super Hybrid 17 degree is on backorder till March 20th... trying to confirm with Callaway; guess way more interest than was anticipated!

Got the notification today that the Super Hybrid 17 degree is on backorder till March 20th... trying to confirm with Callaway; guess way more interest than was anticipated!

Holy cow! March 20th?

Holy cow! March 20th?

yea!

“While processing your order for shipment, we have been informed that the RH 2020 Super Mens Hybrid - 17° is on an extended backorder with an expected delivery date of 3/25/20.
We sincerely apologize for this delay and late notice.

We are currently working on updating the backorder status on our website. Please note that while we do not anticipate further delays, this is our most current estimated delivery date; and may be subject to change.

Your shipping has been upgraded to UPS Express; and we will send you a notification when your order has shipped. We will refund all shipping fees that you were charged.”

Wow that is a 3+ month delay. Insane.

When did you place your order?

it was on 12/1; but it was also a custom setup (custom shaft and grip), so it could have been any of the components that were out...

I hope the backorder is gone soon. Especially a March Backorder. Thats crazy.

I called Callaway today, it’s the 17 degree heads that are back ordered and the customer service rep confirmed the March date. Apparently the factories are running up the 2020 slate from what I was told.

i took this club to the range at lunch. 23* tuned up to 24*, neutral setting, 1/2” under standard, d2 swingweight. stock tensei orange 80 stiff shaft. stock grip.

i didn’t laser the target, but i think it’s about 190 out iirc, and there was a headwind today.

it was off mats, so always tough get a proper gauge. that said, it was an ok session.

i’m struggling with the look at address. it just looks very closed to me. but the weird thing is even though it looks closed, it will not hook. good strikes a high, soft fade that just goes forever.

and man did they nail the feel with this one. it feels so powerful and explosive. even with my predominantly heel contact today it still felt great. but out of the middle you could definitely feel the difference, and it’s so good!

i will say the added loft is a huge help to me. i’m able to get more out of the club with increased loft, and get the benefits of how long it can be.

i’m still not 100% sure who this is for. the size seems to be a turnoff for a more accomplished player. yet the fade bias seems to suit that player, as does the lower launch and lower spin profile. my guess is it’s meant for the better player who wants a very compact fairway wood with a fade bias. then why call it a hybrid at all? granted, it lives in the hybrid spot for me.

i’m excited to get it on the course for more in-round testing. i have long wanted an easy to launch, consistent club in that 200-220 range.

Back