TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

I know dude, couldn't pass up an opportunity to rib ya a bit. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a demo day up your way yet or that golf usa doesn't have them.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

They probably do have them, it's just hard to find the demo irons in my dexterity. I'll check it out this week for sure.

It's amazing how much buzz TM has created over their releases in 2011.

No kidding, seems to me they are killing everyone in every equipment category with the new stuff this year. After hitting it all I can understand why, I don't think the 50% of the metalwood market is far from being achieved.

They probably do have them, it's just hard to find the demo irons in my dexterity. I'll check it out this week for sure.

It's amazing how much buzz TM has created over their releases in 2011.

Good news Mardin, that is why a fitter is so important, you could actually hit my irons pretty well and I am a lot taller. Mine are +1" and 2* upright, you never know with a fitter. Arm length and swing path mean so much more than simply fitting according to height.

man they look so nice, i swore off tm since i started, and look i already have a driver and 4 wood, next is a hybrid

man they look so nice, i swore off tm since i started, and look i already have a driver and 4 wood, next is a hybrid

Not that they are totally the same as your irons, but I used to play the W/S Ci7's. If you like them, I think you'd love these.

No kidding, seems to me they are killing everyone in every equipment category with the new stuff this year. After hitting it all I can understand why, I don't think the 50% of the metalwood market is far from being achieved.

I thought 50% was quite ballsy, but today at the TMag Demo day everyone I saw was hitting the metalwoods (maybe only 2 people were hitting irons). Three people before me were getting fitted for the R11. I asked my fitter how the TM line was doing this year and he said the R11 has been their biggest overall seller so far.

I finally got a chance to put the 2.0's against the highly touted CB's on the turf. I had a 6I and PW of each set. Despite all the love the CB's were getting on their thread, I really thought the 2.0's were going to be the club for me (sorry CB fans) - consensus seems to be the 2.0's are more forgiving, although by a slim margin, and that's a factor for me.
Let me set the situation - it was my first time out, hitting balls in the open air, off turf, into a 20 mph headwind, when the temperature, factoring in the wind, felt like 29*, so I didn't hit many pure shots and the feel was nothing like what I expect when the season is here, but, all things being equal, I was able to compare the two and come to some conclusions.
My routine was this; I hit 10 balls with the 2.0 PW and then 10 with the CB PW, switched to the 2.0 6 iron and hit 10 with it and then 10 with the CB 6 iron. I continued this routine for the entire bucket - I hit at least 50 balls with each club.
One caveat, (in addition to the weather) I've been fitted twice recently and I need a stiff shaft, extra 1" in shaft length and 4* upright lie. The clubs I was hitting were 'off the shelf' demos, R shafts. What I was really comparing was forgiveness and feel.

Observations
* CB's shaft length are a little bit shorter
* Top line and face length were about the same
* Offset was about the same - 2CB's have a slightly smaller offset
* CB lofts are 2* weaker than the 2.0's - not realy a factor to me as I hit my current 40* 8 iron 150 yds (CB 8 iron is 37*)
* CB's are noticebly lighter when swinging them - D3.2 to D3.5
* I felt mishits between the two sets felt about the same and distance loss, if any, between the two was minimal in my situation
* Good hits with the CB felt better than the 2.0
* Turf interaction, which was a HUGE concern for me, felt the same

Conclusion: To my surprise, the CB's are what I'm going to buy. Many of CB testers mention great 'feel' and I thought it was new (free) club commentary - they got new toys and the CB's were better than what they had so they had great 'feel'. I'm going to pay top dollar, and probably more for the CB's than the 2.0's, but that's what I'm going with based on my experience.

It will probalby be too late by the time I get the CB's and have a follow up opinion, based on my needed specs and weather (Darn NH!), but I'll followup when then anyway.

Other considerations: Cleveland CG16 - loved them at first but their top line was a little bigger than what I liked and the feel was too washy - I really couldn't tell whether I hit a beat or hit it pretty good. Distance gain/loss on those "beat's" were about the same as the CB's and 2.0's.
Mizie JP800's - top line, again, to me, looked too big. Offset didn't cut it and feel wasn't there
Callaway RaxorX - Top line too big and the offset was also too big
Wilson DI11 - getting a lot of press lately. From my eye - UGLY! My feeling, if you don't like the look, you can't hit it.

Extra:
I've been looking for a new set of irons for over a year (yeah can suffer from over analysis paralysis - ((Aside, to highlight that - I've been trying to decide between a high powered point and shoot camera (((Nikon P500 and a the Nikon D5000 DSLR for over a year - still haven't made that purchase))) and I'm taking the plunge with confidence the CB's are for me, again, much to my surprise.

Thanks for eveyone's input. It's been very valuable in contributing to my decision. THP has become my 'go to' site for equipment opinions. My funds are limited and a purchase like this is budget impacting but one I think I can recoup in years to come - I think my buddies will ultimately contribute to this set.:wink:

Thinking the outing in May would be a ball and a new product feast but, for some reason, I'm hesitant.

BTW if anyone has a stiff shafted R11 that's going around, I'd like to get my hands on it.

Great post Swirb. I had an open mind going into my fitting. But the moment I hit the CB's I knew they were the club for me. I also am the type of person the pines over big, small, and minute purchases, whether it be a t-shirt or a big screen TV. I have hit numerous irons sets and after much research, posting, more research, and pining I know I've come to the correct choice. It's funny because it all came full circle with first swing of the CB's.

The one aspect that I really like about this set, is that as your game progresses, you will only get better with these irons. I cannot wait till some of this snow melts, a course in Calgary should be open in about a week or two. I am pumped.
I have had mine for less than a week and I am not in a honeymoon phase. I really dig these clubs. This line could be one of the finest that TM has produced (mind you I have only been golfing for a short time). The only other clubs that I could draw a comparison with is some of the mizzies.

Great post Swirb. I had an open mind going into my fitting. But the moment I hit the CB's I knew they were the club for me. I also am the type of person the pines over big, small, and minute purchases, whether it be a t-shirt or a big screen TV. I have hit numerous irons sets and after much research, posting, more research, and pining I know I've come to the correct choice. It's funny because it all came full circle with first swing of the CB's.

Me too. I think if someone's between the 2.0 and the CB's, unless distance is the ultimate factor, the CB's have to make it a tough choice. I chose the CB's based on the comparative feedback but, if the CB's weren't there, I would have been very happy with the 2.0's.

BTW if anyone has a stiff shafted R11 that's going around, I'd like to get my hands on it.

I dont know what this means?

The one aspect that I really like about this set, is that as your game progresses, you will only get better with these irons.

Can you elaborate on this a little bit? Do you not think you could get better with more of a game improvement iron? Or do you think you would hit a wall?

I know Cleveland has something like a 'play it and forward it along' campaign where you get to test a club try a club and then pass it on to someone else to test. I was asking if there's such a program with the R11 driver.

I know Cleveland has something like a 'play it and forward it along' campaign where you get to test a club try a club and then pass it on to someone else to test. I was asking if there's such a program with the R11 driver.

No there is not at this time. I dont think TM will be doing that with drivers.

No CB's in Ash-Vegas for me to drool over.

That would be a very expensive campaign and I can't see people passing them on.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad that you see we aren't making things up :) We were asked to be honest and I think that we've been doing a good job of it so far. These clubs do feel amazing when struck well.

I finally got a chance to put the 2.0's against the highly touted CB's on the turf. I had a 6I and PW of each set. Despite all the love the CB's were getting on their thread, I really thought the 2.0's were going to be the club for me (sorry CB fans) - consensus seems to be the 2.0's are more forgiving, although by a slim margin, and that's a factor for me.
Let me set the situation - it was my first time out, hitting balls in the open air, off turf, into a 20 mph headwind, when the temperature, factoring in the wind, felt like 29*, so I didn't hit many pure shots and the feel was nothing like what I expect when the season is here, but, all things being equal, I was able to compare the two and come to some conclusions.
My routine was this; I hit 10 balls with the 2.0 PW and then 10 with the CB PW, switched to the 2.0 6 iron and hit 10 with it and then 10 with the CB 6 iron. I continued this routine for the entire bucket - I hit at least 50 balls with each club.
One caveat, (in addition to the weather) I've been fitted twice recently and I need a stiff shaft, extra 1" in shaft length and 4* upright lie. The clubs I was hitting were 'off the shelf' demos, R shafts. What I was really comparing was forgiveness and feel.

Observations
* CB's shaft length are a little bit shorter
* Top line and face length were about the same
* Offset was about the same - 2CB's have a slightly smaller offset
* CB lofts are 2* weaker than the 2.0's - not realy a factor to me as I hit my current 40* 8 iron 150 yds (CB 8 iron is 37*)
* CB's are noticebly lighter when swinging them - D3.2 to D3.5
* I felt mishits between the two sets felt about the same and distance loss, if any, between the two was minimal in my situation
* Good hits with the CB felt better than the 2.0
* Turf interaction, which was a HUGE concern for me, felt the same

Conclusion: To my surprise, the CB's are what I'm going to buy. Many of CB testers mention great 'feel' and I thought it was new (free) club commentary - they got new toys and the CB's were better than what they had so they had great 'feel'. I'm going to pay top dollar, and probably more for the CB's than the 2.0's, but that's what I'm going with based on my experience.

It will probalby be too late by the time I get the CB's and have a follow up opinion, based on my needed specs and weather (Darn NH!), but I'll followup when then anyway.

Other considerations: Cleveland CG16 - loved them at first but their top line was a little bigger than what I liked and the feel was too washy - I really couldn't tell whether I hit a beat or hit it pretty good. Distance gain/loss on those "beat's" were about the same as the CB's and 2.0's.
Mizie JP800's - top line, again, to me, looked too big. Offset didn't cut it and feel wasn't there
Callaway RaxorX - Top line too big and the offset was also too big
Wilson DI11 - getting a lot of press lately. From my eye - UGLY! My feeling, if you don't like the look, you can't hit it.

Extra:
I've been looking for a new set of irons for over a year (yeah can suffer from over analysis paralysis - ((Aside, to highlight that - I've been trying to decide between a high powered point and shoot camera (((Nikon P500 and a the Nikon D5000 DSLR for over a year - still haven't made that purchase))) and I'm taking the plunge with confidence the CB's are for me, again, much to my surprise.

Thanks for eveyone's input. It's been very valuable in contributing to my decision. THP has become my 'go to' site for equipment opinions. My funds are limited and a purchase like this is budget impacting but one I think I can recoup in years to come - I think my buddies will ultimately contribute to this set.:wink:

Thinking the outing in May would be a ball and a new product feast but, for some reason, I'm hesitant.

When I was at GG Saturday I hit these irons again. I tell you I really like the feel of them. They are just so smooth and it doesn't even feel like you are hitting the ball. I was able to hit more than the six iron too. I think they just get better and better as you get into the scoring irons. I don't know if they are that much of a difference than my R9s though. As I was playing yesterday, I was trying to compare my thoughts between the two and I am having a hard time telling a difference. I think I really need to get them side by side at the outing and sorta this out. I did notice the high ball flight that people are talking about at the demo day last week. That is nothing abnormal to me though. I sorta like the high ball flight, because it sits down on the green nicer.

I got to hit these... I'd be lying if I said I almost didnt walk out with a set. I hit all three of the the TP line and whats great is they all feel quite a bit different from each other. These felt extremely light but just clicked with my swing. Well off the matts but I've got used to what a bad shot feels like lol. Absolutely loved the crack off the face. My main miss was low off the face. I did hit one that would've been fat and hooked though.

Either way, I'm a huge fan. I would love to take these out on the course. Great job Taylormade with these clubs. I honestly thought I was going to have another R9 experience where it would take a few times hitting these before I could pull off a decent shot.

That would be a very expensive campaign and I can't see people passing them on.

I know I wouldn't give my R11 away. hahah.

Another aspect of the CB's that I really focused on was the shaft. The 2.0s shaft was a little to light for me. I hit the stock 85 gram shaft and the light shaft threw off my tempo. I did get a chance to hit the Dynamic Gold Superlight shaft, but I have a feeling it still wouldn't have given me what the CB's Dynamic Gold XP had to offer. I guess that is another discussion for a different day. Now I just have to sit and wait for my CB's to arrive.

When I was at GG Saturday I hit these irons again. I tell you I really like the feel of them. They are just so smooth and it doesn't even feel like you are hitting the ball. I was able to hit more than the six iron too. I think they just get better and better as you get into the scoring irons. I don't know if they are that much of a difference than my R9s though. As I was playing yesterday, I was trying to compare my thoughts between the two and I am having a hard time telling a difference. I think I really need to get them side by side at the outing and sorta this out. I did notice the high ball flight that people are talking about at the demo day last week. That is nothing abnormal to me though. I sorta like the high ball flight, because it sits down on the green nicer.

I'd like to swing the R9's a bit so I can see how they compare. I do love the scoring irons in this as well. As for the high ball flight, in most cases I love it. In high winds, it's not so helpful imo, but I don't typically play a ton of rounds in really windy conditions.

I got to hit these... I'd be lying if I said I almost didnt walk out with a set. I hit all three of the the TP line and whats great is they all feel quite a bit different from each other. These felt extremely light but just clicked with my swing. Well off the matts but I've got used to what a bad shot feels like lol. Absolutely loved the crack off the face. My main miss was low off the face. I did hit one that would've been fat and hooked though.

Either way, I'm a huge fan. I would love to take these out on the course. Great job Taylormade with these clubs. I honestly thought I was going to have another R9 experience where it would take a few times hitting these before I could pull off a decent shot.

Stay strong man! I've noticed that I'm missing low on the face a little more lately and it's a miss that I continue to not mind. It doesn't feel very good on my hands, but the ball maintains it's distance much better.

LOl. I'm trying dude but these just were amazing irons. I liked the MB's too but could tell they'd be a trip when I got tired and my swing isnt 100%. These just felt sooooooo good.

I'd like to swing the R9's a bit so I can see how they compare. I do love the scoring irons in this as well. As for the high ball flight, in most cases I love it. In high winds, it's not so helpful imo, but I don't typically play a ton of rounds in really windy conditions.

Stay strong man! I've noticed that I'm missing low on the face a little more lately and it's a miss that I continue to not mind. It doesn't feel very good on my hands, but the ball maintains it's distance much better.

MB's wouldn't work well for you. They have a sweetspot.

So true Hawk. I need to have you on speed dial at all times lol. Plus after 5 really good shots in a row I put them down. I wasn't used to the sweetspot.

MB's wouldn't work well for you. They have a sweetspot.

I am in the same boat with you on the high flight. I don't playing in wind that much either. If it is that windy, I usually just club up or grab a lower lofted iron and punch it towards the green.

Back