Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I don't need to explain to you that a ranking prior to a pandemic, is not an actual measure of the response during a pandemic.

We're sitting here in this thread complaining about the lack of testing and the length of time it takes to get test results, and then turn around and say "But we ranked #1!"?

My point is we have resources. When it's flooded with people freaking out and social unrest, it doesn't really help matters. We are probably the #1 nation in freaking out just the same. Case in point: Webmd.com

I have 19 messages on my phone at work (email comes to my cell phone) with people asking if I'm open today...SMH. governor ordered all businesses closed a week ago. Some people are just clueless.:dohanim:

Our county just had its first reported COVID death. Honestly, we have a pretty high senior citizen population, so given the numbers, this is pretty good all things considered. Loss of life is never good, please do not think I am saying that, but given the demographics here, that is good.

My point is we have resources. When it's flooded with people freaking out and social unrest, it doesn't really help matters. We are probably the #1 nation in freaking out just the same. Case in point: Webmd.com
I agree.

[

I didn’t know the rate as far as positives but I was aware that more than 1/4 of tests conducted in US were done in NY.
Yeah...NY did a lot more tests...lower test areas of course show lower numbers so who really knows what true infection rate is now?
NY seems very lucky tio have Cuomo for action. Cuomo said today he needs 40,000 ventilators within 14 days before the numbers really blow up and they are thhe canary in the mine. Other big States like Calfornia, Illinois can ecpect similar spikes. He would sewnd them on to other states after the immediate need. Can't get any more globally, trying again get the Defense Measures Act (is that the correct name?) Say then cash and resources can get into the companies hands now to hire workers with a buyer. If he needs 40,000 ventilators at $25 grand net each, that's a billion bucks. I can see thast companies would want an upfront contract and cash injection toi be ableto move on it.

Yeah...NY did a lot more tests...lower test areas of course show lower numbers so who really knows what true infection rate is now?
NY seems very lucky tio have Cuomo for action. Cuomo said today he needs 40,000 ventilators within 14 days before the numbers really blow up and they are thhe canary in the mine. Other big States like Calfornia, Illinois can ecpect similar spikes. He would sewnd them on to other states after the immediate need. Can't get any more globally, trying again get the Defense Measures Act (is that the correct name?) Say then cash and resources can get into the companies hands now to hire workers with a buyer. If he needs 40,000 ventilators at $25 grand net each, that's a billion bucks. I can see thast companies would want an upfront contract and cash injection toi be ableto move on it.

I am not a fan of the man or his politics, but I, along with others in the staunch conservative opposition, give him credit for his handling of this. It's pretty noteworthy to me that early on, Queens tough guys Trump and Cuomo were having an excretory contest, until they had a face-to-face. Since that happened, they have cooperated very well, gotten a lot of constructive stuff done, and are even crediting each other for the teamwork. Compare that to the friction between Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio, and it's evident it takes two to tango. If only our national politicians could learn from those two case studies.

Golf courses are remaining open here in Oregon even with the stay at home order implemented. Golf is considered an exemption since outdoor activity is allowed. Golf courses are closing pro shops and no contact with flags, but at least we can still golf

The County I live in was expected to announce shelter in place this morning, Instead they just urged people to use common sense. If the course I belong to was going to be forced to close they were prepared to fight it based on all of the procedures they have put in place.

Have resources? Please watch Cuomo's conference today about how short they are on the medical equipment to deal with this now with the rwaal spike expected in 14 days (and can't get any Globally).

New York
New York on Twitter

Positive

Negative

Pending

N/A

Hospitalized

Deaths

Total

New York data Last updated: 3/24 11:30 ET Last checked: 3/24 11:58 ET

Guess there are two ways to look at the testing.. Somewhere between 25%-33% of people have it, or 60-66% of people don't, that have been tested. Again, going back to social unrest and paranoia, people are stressing hospitals instead of going to their local healthcare provider first. Of those 25.6k people who had it, 3234 needed hospitalization. So do 25.6k people need to be using those resources in short supply? Or do 3234?

I have been talking with a Friend / Customer in Tortola and anyone complaining about anything here in the U.S. should open their eyes and thank your stars or god or whoever you thank that you are here in the U.S. dealing with this.

He is on a small Island where 3,000 people have just been laid off do to the lack of Tourism, there is NO food or supplies to speak of because EVERYTHING comes in by ship in a Container and only the smaller ships can get in there.

They grow some veggies there but that is it, we have it so good here Supply wise even if it is not perfect and the Government is trying to get it sorted out, I don't care what your political leaning is and it should not matter right now. Stand behind the President and hope upon hope the rest of the dumb ass politicians we elected stop the B.S. and get the stimulus passed and keep us from tanking.

Sorrry, end of rant, as someone who travels all over the poorest parts of The Caribbean and South America it irks the crap out of me when Americans complain about anything.

I really hope people realize this is just the beginning.

Now, with that before I’m quoted with umpteen articles and data sets presented in certain lights, I’m going to leave this thread alone.

The County I live in was expected to announce shelter in place this morning, Instead they just urged people to use common sense. If the course I belong to was going to be forced to close they were prepared to fight it based on all of the procedures they have put in place.

Drove by it today....saw that the range looked closed.

Not trying to sound like an a-hole here but when does the country and its economic health start to outweigh what is happening now? 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a month? No way this country goes 2+ more months of this and ever gets back to normal. The economic fallout would be too much for many to come back from.

Btw, I'm all for the shutdowns if they get us back and running within a month or 2 tops.

I have been talking with a Friend / Customer in Tortola and anyone complaining about anything here in the U.S. should open their eyes and thank your stars or god or whoever you thank that you are here in the U.S. dealing with this.

He is on a small Island where 3,000 people have just been laid off do to the lack of Tourism, there is NO food or supplies to speak of because EVERYTHING comes in by ship in a Container and only the smaller ships can get in there.

They grow some veggies there but that is it, we have it so good here Supply wise even if it is not perfect and the Government is trying to get it sorted out, I don't care what your political leaning is and it should not matter right now. Stand behind the President and hope upon hope the rest of the dumb ass politicians we elected stop the B.S. and get the stimulus passed and keep us from tanking.

Sorrry, end of rant, as someone who travels all over the poorest parts of The Caribbean and South America it irks the crap out of me when Americans complain about anything.

Can I stand 6-8 feet behind the President and use gloves if he wants to shake my hand? Or should I run when he comes within my 6 foot radius? lol

I really hope people realize this is just the beginning.

Now, with that before I’m quoted with umpteen articles and data sets presented in certain lights, I’m going to leave this thread alone.

You don't have to read, but please post what you wife is seeing every now and then. I greatly appreciate reading the perspectives here from those on the front lines.

Okay all... I've been writing legal letters to the various counties in Texas on lockdown, which state based on yada yada yada, this employee works for us and we are conducting essential business ... and this is what we do yada, yada, and how it conforms to an exemption from lockdown... yada, yada. Yes, it is a pain.

It was the getting winded part when going upstairs that was worrying me.
You mean, that's not normal? Happens to me everyday...:oops:

Okay all... I've been writing legal letters to the various counties in Texas on lockdown, which state based on yada yada yada, this employee works for us and we are conducting essential business ... and this is what we do yada, yada, and how it conforms to an exemption from lockdown... yada, yada. Yes, it is a pain.

We just received a generic letter to issue to our suppliers as needed. We are fortunate in that DHS has designated the chemical industry to be essential.

We just had to have the fan in our fridge replaced. I kept my distance while he was working and then Clorox'ed the crap out of the fridge, the counter, the floor where he put his work bag down, everything. It smells like a Clorox bottle threw up in my house.

Can I stand 6-8 feet behind the President and use gloves if he wants to shake my hand? Or should I run when he comes within my 6 foot radius? lol

Whatever gives you pleasure man, very adult response. I am sure he would rather not shake your hand either....

We just had to have the fan in our fridge replaced. I kept my distance while he was working and then Clorox'ed the crap out of the fridge, the counter, the floor where he put his work bag down, everything. It smells like a Clorox bottle threw up in my house.

But did you wipe down the fan that he touched that could be blowing all his bacteria onto your food? :censored:

(I do this only because I care, and because I almost killed you and Josh burping in a backseat)

But did you wipe down the fan that he touched that could be blowing all his bacteria onto your food? :censored:

(I do this only because I care, and because I almost killed you and Josh burping in a backseat)

Why do you do these things to me? Why????

I'm sure I don't need to explain to you that a ranking prior to a pandemic, is not an actual measure of the response during a pandemic.

We're sitting here in this thread complaining about the lack of testing and the length of time it takes to get test results, and then turn around and say "But we ranked #1!"?

You do realize that ranking came out in October. It's not a ranking for the current pandemic response.
Exactly. This fact that we were the most prepared and are on a path for some of the worst outcomes only serves to show how badly we have failed up to this point. My company (run by PHD Scientists) started preparing for this well over a month ago as we realized the severity of what was coming. Our CEO addressed the company in February and communicated to us that we were facing a multi-year pandemic that would disrupt global operations. The publicly available science was clear at that point. At the time the administration was referring to this as a hoax and telling Americans to ignore it even though our intelligence agencies were warned in early January. I have never seen politics discussed in official work emails in my career but today we received an email that the company believed the administration was working towards a disastrous policy and outcome and that we needed to take every measure possible on our own to keep our employees safe and try to keep our business operating.

I think some states and municipalities have done a great job of stepping up and implementing strategies to address this crisis. We are going to need much tighter measures and a far stronger response to minimize the health and economic damage ahead. I was still taking walks and exercising outdoors this weekend. When my gf and I walked down to the beach we started to realize being outside was not going to work as there were joggers and walkers everywhere. I was shocked when we reached the beach and saw people everywhere. We realized then we were being irresponsible being outside even if we were maintaining proper distance. If everyone decides to go for a walk there are crowds everywhere and containment is impossible. Outside of work (my business is essential) and groceries when we run low we will no longer be leaving our house. A total lockdown is the only way to minimize the damage.

I feel deeply for everyone affected by this virus. I didn't post this to attack anyone's political beliefs, just to give my opinion on where we stand as a nation and what we need to do to beat this. Pretending that we have done a good job thus far is not helpful to future outcomes. I hope we can all come together to fight this to the best of our ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back