Miyazaki shafts in Cleveland/Srixon watered down versions?

Old Folks

Reaction score
Handicap
I saw this discussed on another golf board where they pointed out this video comparing OEM shafts versus the real deal: http://www.peakperformancegolfswing.com/stock-shaft-vs-true-aftermarket-shaft/

In the comments that follow this is said: "Nicely done Bronson. I was wondering why Cleveland/Srixon are supposed using REAL Miyazaki shaft in their FY11 Drivers and FWs. Is that true or it is just marketing?"

Then the maker of the video responds by saying:

I have a friend that works at Cleveland and actually helped in the design of that exact shaft.

Not real. They can't afford to. They would lose too much money. All marketing.

Bronson Wright

Head of PPGS Clubfitting

Any truth to this?

I betcha JB will have much better insight but from everything I've heard elsewhere they are indeed the real deal. I'm not sure how they would loose that much money on doing the shafts like that when Miya, Cleveland and Srixon are all owned by the same parent company and more or less share information

I HIGHLY doubt that it is a watered down version, or that they are losing money, being that they own Miyazaki, but as Tuna said, JB will know.

I am hoping JB will chime in as I just put a SL290 and a Z Star Fairway wood in my bag.

They are 100000% real.

SRI owns all three of the companies and for them to put out a shaft that is a lesser product than the real deal would only hurt one of the 3 companies sales long term.

This sounds more like I have a friend that knows a guy that has an uncle that did this. No truth to it whatsoever.

Miyazaki has been making shafts for years. They launched their own product last year. We have done extensive work with them and have both shafts on the drivers that come standard, as well as shafts that are aftermarket and both are identical on our testing.

I also wonder when people say they were part of the design team and they work at Cleveland. The shafts were not developed at Cleveland R&D according to the company and they have no reason to make that up at all. Certainly they were tested there, but outside of that, the shafts were developed at SRI in Japan.

All 3 companies share R&D to an extent and it would be company suicide to one of the sectors to market them as real and then sell an "inferior" shaft.

If you would like, I would be more than happy to get an official statement from the company on the matter. It might take a couple of days, but then you would hear it straight from the source.

his video seems kind of nonsense too. When I did clubtech stuff at Golf Galaxy I never had a shaft crack like the one did for his video.

I would like to see this personally, if you can. I think it would shut people like "Byron's friend" up. Or help, anyway.
If you would like, I would be more than happy to get an official statement from the company on the matter. It might take a couple of days, but then you would hear it straight from the source.

his video seems kind of nonsense too. When I did clubtech stuff at Golf Galaxy I never had a shaft crack like the one did for his video.

I agree, this video reeks of BS.

I can't imagine either brand would pair itself with "watered down" counterparts. I've got cleveland stuff from a few different years and have stock, fuji for cleveland, and graffalloy aftermarket pre-installed and all have been fine. Even the grips I've kept till I wore them out. I can't say that about other brands.

I copied this from Clevelandgolf.com website:

MIYAZAKI C.KUA ULTRALITE SHAFT
Each ultralite model is paired with an authentic, ultra-premium Miyazaki
Tour/Aftermarket C. Kua shaft

A True Tour Ultralite(TM), the C. Kua series delivers tour-proven flex profiles in an ultralite package

Thanks JB for the claricfication was kind of skeptical about it

For someone to suggest Cleveland using cheap shafts in their products, is mind blowing to say the least. :confused2:

If they are not real, they put a lot of effort into making them appear real. The head and shaft each have their own serial numbers and the finish on the shafts is clearly a step above anything else you could find in Golf Galaxy or a similar store. Don't worry one bit I say.

Real Deal, that video stinks of BS

Absolutely. Did you see where he clamped the shafts on each of them then gave the "made for" an extra tug. It was a fine Hulk impression though

Side note: did anyone else see that Nike is now offering Miyazaki shafts in their clubs as custom orders?

Absolutely. Did you see where he clamped the shafts on each of them then gave the "made for" an extra tug. It was a fine Hulk impression though

Side note: did anyone else see that Nike is now offering Miyazaki shafts in their clubs as custom orders?

HOT DANG!!! Imagine how AMAZING a Round Machspeed Black would look with a Kusala black.

The only thing that proved to me is you can crush a shaft when you clamp it in the wrong place, curious how he thought that would fool anyone when it very easy to see each shaft was placed in a different position in the puller.

It takes all kinds, I don't understand the nonbelief in what a company says, as has been pointed out, it is their reputation riding on the product.

The only thing that proved to me is you can crush a shaft when you clamp it in the wrong place, curious how he thought that would fool anyone when it very easy to see each shaft was placed in a different position in the puller.

Makes you wonder if this guy has some sot of hidden agenda. He is a club fitter, right? Maybe he wants to sell more hyper high end shafts?

Exactly, there was at least 6 inches of the 1st shaft sticking past the rest for the clubhead. On the second shaft there was only about an inch, he was gripping the 1st shaft about 5 inches high, naturally the shaft would be thicker there and would crack no matter what the brand of OEM or aftermarket. I call bull:poop:

Makes you wonder if this guy has some sot of hidden agenda. He is a club fitter, right? Maybe he wants to sell more hyper high end shafts?

That was my initial thought, curious how he felt this was going benefit him? Can see where he would lose business with all these high end shafts offered stock but going down the road of stating what he does seems idiotic to me, he certainly won't be selling me anything after making such claims.

I personally have never bought into the whole stock shafts being inferior bs, one of the longest drivers I ever hit (for me) had a shaft with no indentifiable markings on it what so ever.

My Mashie came with a sticker that plainly said something to the effect of.... "Authentic Tour Issue Miyazaki shaft"

Dumb video. Anyone notice the cut in the video? I highly doubt the accuracy of this video. OEMs would never send out mass shafts like that.

Last edited:
Back