Lower Ball Flight with Irons?

James

Reaction score
Handicap
How can I keep the ball flight down when using my irons (6 Iron in particular), just wondering as I thought I would be able to get more distance on my shots?

Proper fitting would be my first suggestion.
It depends on whether or not you mean in general with your shots or in playing a shot like a stinger once in a while.

Sorry, I should have clarified. It would be just to hit a stinger shot every once in a while. As for custom fitting, my clubs can't be fitted as they are from a package set.

I do this a little different than most, so I might not be the best person to ask. I play the ball slightly back in my stance and finish low.

Thanks, I'll give it a go next time I'm at the range.

I can't figure it out either. I already hit the ball high and have tried a million techniques and can never pull it off. Probably because I worked for so many years to hit the ball high, my swing just won't let me finish with my hands low.

I do this a little different than most, so I might not be the best person to ask. I play the ball slightly back in my stance and finish low.

thats how i do it as well, a little shorter backswing, ball back in my stance, and a low finish, it really helps when you really hold the follow through off, for me it does

If I need to punch out or keep the ball below a tree line, I do what you said above. But I also hold off or exaggerate my release, depending on which direction it want the ball to roll out.

I do the same. Sometimes I catch the ball good and hit it in the tree I'm trying to go under.

The last thing you want to do when trying to flight the ball low is to put a full swing on it. By full, I mean by taking it all the way back and all the way through after contact. I also mean by actually putting full force into it as well. Even if you move the ball back, saw off your finish, if you swing to hard you'll generate too much spin. Too much spin generally equates in getting the ball up. I always take one extra club to execute this shot. Practice it on the range, it's a lot of fun.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I do the same. Sometimes I catch the ball good and hit it in the tree I'm trying to go under.

I'm pretty sure we've all done that once in our life.

My favorite is the punch shot to keep it under the tree but just blast it intothe trunk of the tree I'm trying keep the ball under.

My favorite is the punch shot to keep it under the tree but just blast it intothe trunk of the tree I'm trying keep the ball under.

I actually pulled off this shot last year. I used my 3i and knocked down my shot under a tree and put it on green from around 160 yards and saved a par. Definitely the highlight of that round.

I've had so much practice punching out that I'm considering aiming my drives directly at the trees. Might improve my GIR.

I second both JB's and TC's approaches -- ball back, half back-swing to low finish and take an extra club so you can swing smoothly. Most folks tend to want to slap down on the ball in this situation and that can result in all kinds of ball flight nastiness.

Yup, I agree with the shortened swing and ball back in stance. I also choke down a little bit to keep things compact.

There are two ways to hit a lower ball flight. I use both depending on what I need to do and how windy it is. One is to back the ball up in your stance as JB indicated but I find it is a good idea to strengthen your grip slightly as you do that and it helps prevent you from turning it over and pulling the ball left, the other thing you have to do is stand just a little closer to the ball because you have moved the ball back in your stance you will risk shanking it if you don't, not talking about much maybe an inch or so at the most. You can even hood the club slightly to de-loft it, this works well with wedges that you want to keep from ballooning into the wind or whatever but it still puts a good amount of spin on them. I hit as much as a 7 iron this way and can back it up like a wedge on the green, try it, pinch the ball hard when you hit it and it will fly low hit the green and do the string pull back toward you. The second method is actually a little harder to do, it is the way that Hank Haney teaches it and that is to just use 1 or 2 bigger clubs than the yardage indicates and swing easier and keep the finish low. The lower lofted club will fly lower anyway and the slower swing speed will accomplish two things, it will put less spin on the ball so it won't balloon and it also won't go as far as normal so depending on how easy you swing you are basically getting a 7 iron distance from hitting a 5 or a 6 iron and a 3/4 swing speed. The nice thing about this approach is that your ball position, grip and basic swing stays exactly the same, you just adjust the tempo and take an extra club or two. What makes this hard to do is controlling the tempo as most higher handicappers have problems with tempo anyway. Hitting the ball on a lower flight will not give you more distance however, lower flight usually equals shorter flight unless you are playing into a strong wind.

The last thing you want to do when trying to flight the ball low is to put a full swing on it. By full, I mean by taking it all the way back and all the way through after contact. I also mean by actually putting full force into it as well. Even if you move the ball back, saw off your finish, if you swing to hard you'll generate too much spin. Too much spin generally equates in getting the ball up. I always take one extra club to execute this shot. Practice it on the range, it's a lot of fun.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

+2. I agree. I normally club up one club if I'm looking at a certain distance and need to keep it low. If you have a shot with the distance of your 6 iron, consider using a 5 iron, play the ball back a little and cutoff the follow through.

These are all great tips. I have one that may be of assistance. No disrespect to TC but I have learn to hit a full swing stinger or low shot. I don't adjust anything in my swing except for the impact position of my left wrist.
When I want to hit it through the wind and not sacrifice distance I bow my wrist toward the target at impact. This delofts the club and gives me lower ball fight. My ball position is in the middle to back of my stance. This will give you a low cut if you hold off the club and a low bullet draw if you release after impact. It is rare I pull this out of the bag but I has allowed me to scramble for some birdies after some horrible tee shots.

I also do it different than most people. I just aim right, and hit a pull, partnering that with using a 3 iron instead and choking up.

Back