Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

I totally agree on the drivers. And that’s super well stated! (y)

FWIW, I was referencing the two fairway models. The Max is infinitely more interesting to me now with the two weight system.

Yeah the Fairway woods even more so. The Max is where I gravitate to especially with glued hosels instead of adjustables. Personnaly that 4w action is calling my name.

Few things I am seeing that stand out besides the tech. The head shapes seem to have been shuffled around a bit and I absolutely love what they've done here. The Epic Speed has features that resemble the Mav SZ but even a bit different. It definitely looks to be more compact and the face looks like the mav sz. Love what they did with it. I am not big on sliding weights, so this would be one I would be extremely interested in.

Then, the Max LS looks so much like the Mavrik Triple Diamond. I am excited they finally went this direction in their initial retail releases. It's such a great shape. I can't wait to see how it stacks up against the Mav SZ TD.
I really wish I had every got to hit the triple diamond. The Speed definitely reminds my of a Mav SZ in looks. I mentioned that in my initial reactions and talked about it with the guys there. I got my fastest SS both sessions with it, but couldn't get it to translate to fastest BS overall. A couple though... The Max LS shape and feel are really nice for someone who played the normal Mav SZ a lot. I don't know if something about the size/shape of the Speed head gets in my head, and it looks the most closed so there's a chance, but my ball speeds were better with the Max LS using same shafts. Could be subtle strike differences, the surprising forgiveness of the LS, or something else, but it held through both sessions.

I think the big thing for people that like the shape will be moving it around the LS. It looks bigger and more forgiving, and feels more forgiving. Kind of makes me want to go after it. The shape just suits my eye.

I'm excited for you to hit them and hear your take.

So there goes my plan to get fit by the end of the month.

Honestly, I am surprised the price didn't come in higher than $530 for the driver.
I think this aspect is being under talked about IMO

I think this aspect is being under talked about IMO
So much of the criticism (of many brands) comes on the pricing front. While still more expensive than most, it still isn't nearly as expensive as it could be.

Solid write up @Jman! To echo what you've written, the Callaway guys are excited with what they've been able to do in this design and do believe that they can fit any golfer with this lineup. As others have mentioned, it was interesting hearing that drivers had gotten too low spin for a large majority so the LS model is lower spinning than the standard model but not as much as the previous SZ line. They don't make a change without a purpose based on data and feedback they've received.

They made a conscious effort during the design of this new version in the sound department to keep it more in the line of the Mavrik line than the old Epic Flash line. Something the Callaway engineering teams were well aware of from feedback in the wild.
I specifically asked about sound in the presentation and they explained that they used AI again to get the sound profile they wanted and there's a weird internal fin inside (and toward the rear of) the head which is specifically there for acoustic purposes.

Last edited:
So much of the criticism (of many brands) comes on the pricing front. While still more expensive than most, it still isn't nearly as expensive as it could be.

Kind of crazy to see it priced below both TaylorMade and Titleist.
I honestly expected a $20 price bump

Me after reading this article. All of those sound freaking amazing but the LS probably tops the list for me based on what I'm reading. Interesting that the Max and Speed are both Draw biased but I do like that the Max has the sliding weight.

LS for me too. Definitely wanting to upgrade from the OG Epic SZ this year and that shot right to the top of the list.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oh, and great write-up @Jman ! Love hearing the details behind the changes and innovation. For how little I've heard about the lineup I think people are going to get excited in a hurry.

As someone who loved the Mavrik FW's and is a little non-plussed by the TSi3's, it made me almost twitchy to hit these reading about them. (y)

First up - awesome write up @Jman

Lots of great information in there.

Second - someone commented that these look like an original xbox and all I could say was YES! I'm really digging the looks on these. I haven't gamed a Callaway driver in a bit. Hopefully I can change that this year.

These are just gorgeous looking clubs. The first thing I noticed was the white and green mix. For us that are Irish that just looks so beautiful.

The weight of 17g in the Max is going to give so many options of adjustment. I was surprised a bit to see the Sub-Zero model without a weight toward the front as in previous versions. Then you have the new design on the fairway woods to increase stability.

Man, I am supposed to wait till 22’ for a driver. Damn. My wife is going to want to shoot me when I tell her it’s time for an upgrade. 😂

These are just gorgeous looking clubs. The first thing I noticed was the white and green mix. For us that are Irish that just looks so beautiful.

The weight of 17g in the Max is going to give so many options of adjustment. I was surprised a bit to see the Sub-Zero model without a weight toward the front as in previous versions. Then you have the new design on the fairway woods to increase stability.

Man, I am supposed to wait till 22’ for a driver. Damn. My wife is going to want to shoot me when I tell her it’s time for an upgrade. 😂
I think it’s going to be part of their job to get people to understand the LS is not the Sub Zero. It’s not all about low spin, it fits the current trend on Tour where they’re hunting for 2500-2700 RPM

Now, we mortals may get much lower than that based on our inconsistent swings, but the LS doesn’t have the same goals as the SZ

I think the new jailbreak design could be the differentiator. The way they’re making AI Flash Face abs the new Jailbreak design work together is wildly intriguing to me. The expansion of the speed retention is something I’ll always need :ROFLMAO:

The tech is super intriguing, I'll give it that. The nerd in me is like hey yeah let's really talk more about that. I mean let's be real, I'm gonna hit it haha

The tech is super intriguing, I'll give it that. The nerd in me is like hey yeah let's really talk more about that. I mean let's be real, I'm gonna hit it haha
I would make @Canadan ban you if you didn’t. :ROFLMAO:

😳

Thanks for the info @Jman!

That photo of the AI face is trippy! These will be fun to rip on a simulator and look at numbers.

Callaway going next level as always.

😳

Thanks for the info @Jman!

That photo of the AI face is trippy! These will be fun to rip on a simulator and look at numbers.

Callaway going next level as always.
What’s cooler is that’s just the face of the Speed, the others are totally different. And the face that every single loft in the fairways has a unique one as well still blows my mind.

I think it’s going to be part of their job to get people to understand the LS is not the Sub Zero. It’s not all about low spin, it fits the current trend on Tour where they’re hunting for 2500-2700 RPM

Now, we mortals may get much lower than that based on our inconsistent swings, but the LS doesn’t have the same goals as the SZ
James - Sub Zero's in the past were designed for faster swingers IIRC, Does the LS version on this year iteration open it for sub 100 SS that need lower spin with out being penalized ?

I totally agree on the drivers. And that’s super well stated! (y)

FWIW, I was referencing the two fairway models. The Max is infinitely more interesting to me now with the two weight system.
I guess that's why I don't understand not putting both weights in the Speed fairways as well. My miss is left. I don't need the head facing that way. So that leaves the speed line...without the ability to manage spin via weights.

James - Sub Zero's in the past were designed for faster swingers IIRC, Does the LS version on this year iteration open it for sub 100 SS that need lower spin with out being penalized ?
Fit is everything. I know several here and locally that fit into the SZ last time with a sub 100 swing, as for this one, it’s not the super low spin seeker that the SZ is, it’s an all new animal

I agree with this. Pro target spin is actually higher than a lot of us normal folks look to get but they also have much higher swing speeds and better contact / ball striking skills to get the most of the drivers. The higher spin in the pro's also help as their launch windows tend to be lower. What's interesting about the Max LS is that unlike the SZ where the target was minimizing spin, the LS target is really normalizing spin across the face in the lower spin range. The design goal wasn't to reduce spin to the max ( excuse the pun ). So while the LS is designed to be the lower spin/better striker head, its more targeted to keep it in a range, not drop the bottom out of the spin window.

I guess that's why I don't understand not putting both weights in the Speed fairways as well. My miss is left. I don't need the head facing that way. So that leaves the speed line...without the ability to manage spin via weights.
It’s the lower spin fairway with the deeper face, it didn’t need the weights.

The Max got the weights because the fitters feedback to them was the heel weight in the Mav Max didn’t really do much fitting wise, so they built the internal bias and added the front back to make it more accessible to a broader range, while still being able to the the higher launcher and more forgiving of the two in standard settings.

It’s the lower spin fairway with the deeper face, it didn’t need the weights.

The Max got the weights because the fitters feedback to them was the heel weight in the Mav Max didn’t really do much fitting wise, so they built the internal bias and added the front back to make it more accessible to a broader range, while still being able to the the higher launcher and more forgiving of the two in standard settings.
Okay. It's clicking now. That makes sense. Sorry...I'm a bit slow.

Was lucky to test the Speed and the Max out on Wednesday. I currently game the Epic Flash and did not see enough improvement in the Mavrick to justify the purchase.

I thought going in I was going to be fit for the Max but instead the Speed was for me based on consistency, trajectory and one way miss.

The sound and feel is huge upgrade over the Flash. I hit all three drivers using my current Hzdrus black smoke. Speed was the big winner. Unfortunately I don’t have any track man numbers to back this up but visual with my instructor we both agreed.

I think though that the Max will be the big seller of the group though. So forgiving.
F50F1B93-C3ED-4CD7-8029-266AB950D6DF.jpeg579C297A-1989-4DF8-902B-AE0714EC0B43.jpeg8838A9C8-A588-4E37-B3ED-B4F7FF6D6668.jpeg
View attachment trim.5D3D7F7F-FC99-4E67-8727-C6D9861042F7.MOV

Back