Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

@Jman great write up, I appreciate the detail. Based on your knowledge at this time, It sounds like the Speed and the Max are somewhat draw biased. If I'm looking for a driver to minimize my big miss, which is a quacking, duck hook, should I look more toward the LS? It sounds like that model would be the one for me of the three.
It’s definitely the most fade capable of the three, and lower spin, not super low spin

Good stuff, I’ve really liked my last 2 Epic drivers. I need spin but also want the fade bias so I think an LS at 12° would work for me. Not sure if I can drop $600 right now when I am wanting those Apex pros.

On the fairways I’m disappointed to not see their smaller adjustable adapter they designed not make a return.

It’s definitely the most fade capable of the three, and lower spin, not super low spin

Which is exactly why that one is the first for me to try. :love:

This one will make it to my bag at some point. Most likely Max...

I like your terminology: "fade capable" 👍
That should definitely go in the THP-approved lexicon.

Next time someone asks me to describe my swing, I'll answer theoretically fade capable.

@Jman I really enjoyed the piece on these. Sounds like a pretty damn exciting release for Callaway and once again they are trying to squeeze even more speed out of 3 different profiles. CANNOT WAIT to see what you think of this next week.

I think the Max LS would be my jam and I have been trying to figure out the top of my bag for December 2021.
The Hybrid/FW releases have not helped. The heavenwood jumped into contetion!

I like your terminology: "fade capable" 👍
That's actually how they described the drivers in the presentation :) They didn't want to tie each driver to a specific bias to turn people off of it. Because of they adjustability they provide, especially in the Max and the Max LS, even as one is draw capable and the other is fade capable, they are still both able to be considered neutral depending on how they are set up.

Wow Callaway on 🔥🔥🔥! Awesome write up, the tech sounds amazing!

Looking forward to trying these out. I'm looking to upgrade from my GBB Epic SZ this year and these look amazing. Definitely going to try all 3 options, no idea which will fit me best.

I think the Max LS would be my jam and I have been trying to figure out the top of my bag for December 2021.
The Hybrid/FW releases have not helped. The heavenwood jumped into contetion!
Great write-up @Jman, My first thought was adding the Heavenwood. But I think the rest of the FW's need to be addressed as well.

Not overly keen on the bottom, doesn’t look that premium to me, but that’s pretty unimportant. Crown looks great. Love the sound of my epic flash heavenwood, and from what I’ve seen online, these too sound awesome. Won’t be something I’ll be trying as I’m happy with my current driver, but I would imagine Callaway are going to sell a boatload of these.

Great write-up @Jman, My first thought was adding the Heavenwood. But I think the rest of the FW's need to be addressed as well.
Won’t lie, all of @Canadan ’s hate for fairway woods makes me want to go back to the HW. ;)

Nice write up @Jman
I just have to stay outta this thread as I'm all in on the B21.
I have to say though, the lineup looks fantastic!

Nice write up @Jman
I just have to stay outta this thread as I'm all in on the B21.
I have to say though, the lineup looks fantastic!
Haha, imo you’re safe, none of these encroach on what the B21 is, and it’s been a massive hit for them.

I'm excited to give these a try. I'll be honest and say that I'm not in love with the shape of the LS, which is the model I'll almost certainly need. But if the results are there, I'm sure I can get over that.

No SZ option is an interesting twist but makes complete sense with the trends. Id be on board in the LS camp and anything with any type of draw bias is out the door for me as it is. So, if this is the more workable option and could provide some fade......im intrigued. I like the look and the color scheming as well. The fairways are also interesting. I like the front and back weighting systems more that the the iterations in the heel. Just make more sense to me.

Im kind of fascinated by the fact that they are going away from low spin since it was a "thing" for quite some time. The decision to make the 2 heads draw biased I think is a good one too.

Callaway has always wanted to maximize what they call "spin robustness" away from center and the more I dig into this release, all the tech is pointing to achieving that goal. I'd be curious to see what the real world spin numbers are for the Epic Speed. I am going to guess the max will be the higher spinning head, but at address that looks like a monster compared to the Speed. Even more so than the Mav Max was to the Standard.

@JB can you compare a Mav Max head to the Epic Max and put that picture up?

Im kind of fascinated by the fact that they are going away from low spin since it was a "thing" for quite some time. The decision to make the 2 heads draw biased I think is a good one too.
I think that it’s an interesting trend for sure. For a long time we had LOW spin pounded in our heads as being 2000 or below, but honestly, 2500 is pretty low

@JB can you compare a Mav Max head to the Epic Max and put that picture up?

Actually I cant. I dont have a Max head anymore as we gave it away in one of our recent contests.

I haven’t been interested in Callaway drivers since the 816 dbd and xr pro 16 but these have my interest. I wish they would throw a matte finish on one of their lines but that definitely is not a deal breaker. Haven’t read through all the comments and won’t get to until tonight but looking forward to reading all the initial thoughts that THPer’s have. Another beauty write up @Jman and looking forward to seeing you guys test these out next week.

I think that it’s an interesting trend for sure. For a long time we had LOW spin pounded in our heads as being 2000 or below, but honestly, 2500 is pretty low
We did. We saw crazy numbers of sub 2k spin and distances quite often. I've always tried to stay in 2500-2800 based on a couple fittings which is pretty solid. I'm thinking this move toward more spin makes not only fitting the correct head very important here but maybe shaft as well.

Back